How about the roster makeover performed by Ed Wade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Houston Astros

How about the roster makeover performed by Ed Wade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How about the roster makeover performed by Ed Wade?

Postby astromania » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm

I am wondering what some of you other Astro fans think about the overhaul of the Astros Roster. I guess I will start in the OF where we lose Josh Anderson and Luke Scott and get Michael Bourne, Reggie Abercrombie, and a non-roster invite to Jose Cruz jr. If Bourne can hit MLB pitching then sending lidge to Philly is a better deal than it appears to me on the surface. I think Bourne is the Key in the Of, he can steal bases and covers a lot of ground, but can he hit over the "Mendoza line". I am not sure myself. At 2B I like the signing of Matsui, but I think we could have set ourselves up for a fall, if you check his stats, he was a very different hitter away from Coors field, maybe he will hit well at the "juice Box". I would have liked an upgrade at 3B from Wiggington, I mean he is a serviceable guy, but i don't see anything truly amazing coming from him. At SS I love the fact that we finally got an upgrade! I think we paid too high of a price for Tejada, especially if he misses any time for being metioned in the Mitchell report. I must give Wade Cudos for the bullpen overhaul, although some of it to me is more quantity, than quality. But I absolutely love the addition of Valverde, I am looking for great things from him, and Villareal could prove to be a steal. But, the most glaring question I have for Wade and this new look Roster, where are the SP, we need at least one quality Starter, and could really use 2. I am really anxious for them to take the field, I truly hope that Mr. Wade is right on with his additions, if he is, we should field a pretty good team, but I fear, if he is wrong, we are in for a long season. So, all of this being said, let us all hope Mr. Wade knows exactly what he is doing!!! :-]
astromania
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How about the roster makeover performed by Ed Wade?

Postby speedy27 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:11 pm

I for one like the changes Wade is bringing to the Astros. I don't completely agree with all of them (Matsui for the $ and losing Patton/Guttierez) but at least he's making an attempt to get better. It stinks to stand pat every off-season and hope that our aging players will pull through. We've had some major deficiencies the past few years (SP, Offense, Farm system) and we at least went out and fixed our offensive problems (hopefully).

Now we need to go out and sign 1 to 3 SP (Colon, Garcia, ? )to help Oswalt and company. Either way I'm looking forward to watching our new revamped offense.

If it fails in the next year or so, maybe we can firesale and restock our farm club and start over??
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby astromania » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Ya, I pretty much agree. Purpura was a lets wait and see kind of guy, while Wade seems to be a lets see whats out there, and what we can get done kind of guy. I thought about my last post, it seemed more negative than I intended. I would rather take the chances than to sit on my hands and hope these guys with "potential" can come through. I really would have liked to get Wade before they sent Willy Taveras, Hirsch and company to the Rockies for Jennings. That is "The DEAL" that I have never understood. I really hope he is right with these deals. Like You though, I really hated to see Patton, Guitterez, and Josh Anderson go. But, I gues you have to give talent to get talent. Here's hoping that our newly aquired talent performs to the best of their ability!! ;-D
astromania
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby howardryan6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:26 am

Speaking of Ed Wade....he just got pwned by Chacon.
Jay Bruce is mah franchize. I love you Chris Davis!
howardryan6 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby crapshooter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I've been an Astros fan forever but I think Ed Wade is the worst thing that has happened to them. He'll destroy them in a couple of years.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Houston Astros