desktop tower defense - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

desktop tower defense

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: desktop tower defense

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:13 am

Yeah it is all about concentrated and upgraded squirt towers. Freeze and bash are also vital but as long as you lay out the maze to go through the squirt towers a few times, then you are golden.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:31 am

I use 9 Squirts and 2 Freezes for normal mode, along with a bunch of the little pellets to form the actual maze.

However, on hard mode, the Squirts just won't get the job done. You absolutely MUST use the Swarm towers if you want any hope of taking out the fliers, and you need to have as many Boost towers linked to them as possible. Having to rely so heavily on the Swarms means less money to build towers to handle all the ground troops, so it's a real tricky balancing act.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Made it through Hard. After being stuck at the exact same spot for a couple of tries I realized my strategy just wasn't good enough to get past the Swarm Boss at around level 50. By the time I blew him into a hundred little creeps I would get swarmed by the fliers. So I just opened up a quick hole in the maze and let the boss go by and had him completely avoid my main battery. Finished Hard with 13 remaining life and 6462 score. I might try to make it through without giving the Bosses a pass but I've had enough for now.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am

Tavish wrote:Made it through Hard. After being stuck at the exact same spot for a couple of tries I realized my strategy just wasn't good enough to get past the Swarm Boss at around level 50. By the time I blew him into a hundred little creeps I would get swarmed by the fliers. So I just opened up a quick hole in the maze and let the boss go by and had him completely avoid my main battery. Finished Hard with 13 remaining life and 6462 score. I might try to make it through without giving the Bosses a pass but I've had enough for now.

Nicely done. I passed medium once but I can't pass level 40 again. Ugh.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:48 pm

If you want an idea for a layout you can look at my maps Here. The main strategy is to get the first row of Squirts built up to Typhoon and then start building up the second row. Most of the time you don't even need the back half of the maze or the second row of Squirts except to catch straggling spawners or finish off the occasional flier. Get a couple Storms up in level just help out in case the swarms are still hanging around when the fliers hit the board.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:54 pm

Holy addicting.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Tavish wrote:If you want an idea for a layout you can look at my maps Here.

I think your maps for the Normal level are needlessly large. This will get you through untouched.

The extra layer of pellet towers around the outside border is to prevent those Spawn enemies from slipping through the crack and getting away.

I was playing kinda slow on that one for some reason, not sending 2-3 waves at a time. Final score was only 6258.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:41 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Tavish wrote:If you want an idea for a layout you can look at my maps Here.

I think your maps for the Normal level are needlessly large. This will get you through untouched.

The extra layer of pellet towers around the outside border is to prevent those Spawn enemies from slipping through the crack and getting away.

I was playing kinda slow on that one for some reason, not sending 2-3 waves at a time. Final score was only 6258.

What I learned is that you have to spread out your squirts and max upgrade a few. Freeze seems pointless to me as bash will stun the enemies especially the bosses. I think I can get by in medium so I will start doing hard now. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm

Yoda wrote:What I learned is that you have to spread out your squirts and max upgrade a few. Freeze seems pointless to me as bash will stun the enemies especially the bosses. I think I can get by in medium so I will start doing hard now. :-D

The Bash doesn't always stop the guys. The Freeze always slows them down, except for that one type that's immune.

Aside from the Pellets to form the maze, I don't see the point of building any tower I don't intend to max out.

Personally, I like the fun modes. The 10K is nice.
Last edited by ThatDude on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Most of the backrow was just thrown up as a quick net to kill off a couple of spawners that got (un)lucky enough to pop through. 99.9% of everything is all killed in the first couple rows. You should post some of your scores to the cafe group, I think esp211 is the only other Cafer that has posted a winning result in Normal mode.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk