2008 Success? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Seattle Mariners

2008 Success?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2008 Success?

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 am

What do you guys think about the chances of the Mariners in 2008 in the AL West?

I'm just switching from football to baseball modes, but I'm really thinking that if we can't land a quality left handed starter (Johan or Bedard) somehow/someway, and a big bat to replace Guillen's production, that we won't be able to improve on last season. With a medium deep rotation and a decent lineup (if Richie Sexson somehow gets trapped in the Space Needle elevator all season long), I don't see any more than the 88 wins that were posted last year. I'm praying, but it doesn't seem like Bavasi is making good on his promises yet...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008 Success?

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:39 pm

I truely see the M's as a .500 ball club this year. We still have a some time to bring in a quality pitcher/bat but I don't think that will happen.

Silva was not a quality pitcher. :-/ What's plan B?
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:28 am

SeaWolf wrote:I truely see the M's as a .500 ball club this year. We still have a some time to bring in a quality pitcher/bat but I don't think that will happen.

Silva was not a quality pitcher. :-/ What's plan B?

Bedard is an obvious quality starter, and if Bavasi can make good on his propaganda for once, then we are halfway there :-)

As for the bat, I just have a SNEAKING suspicion that Brad Wilkerson is not the guy you were thinking of? !+) X-I :-t
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby KronJon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Eh, Wilkerson was a good signing IMO (didn't cost much, 1-year contract, and he had been a very quality player in the past). Every season where he has had at least 500 AB's, he has had over 80 walks. The Mariners never get a guy who can draw a walk so this was a good change. Of course, Wilkerson has been crap the last few years so I am optimistic on him getting back to his old form. Either way, he is a low risk, high reward type of signing. If he sucks it up, they can bench him in favor of someone else, such as Wladimir. Also, Jose Guillen was the worst defensive RF in baseball last year. Wilkerson is an improvement on defense believe it or not.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 am

Our successes last year were the worst possible thing that could happen to us. It hid the fact that Bavasi needs to go for us to succeed. We should be rebuilding, not signing guys to ridiculous contracts.

This year the Angels seem to be our only competition, but I doubt we could overtake them. It would be in our best interests if we just totally sucked this year and finished in dead last.

I hope I'm wrong! O:-)
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 am

With all the Angels bad luck recently, I'm hearing a lot of people predicting the M's to win the division. I'd rather Bavasi lose his job because I think it would be best for the long run, but I'll gladly take a division title. :-)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to Seattle Mariners