RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:33 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:My biggest concern about them is simply the ticketing procedure. Ticket goes to the registered owner. Ok, but what if you don't own the car any longer? Perfect example is I traded in a car at a large dealership, and bought a new car. About 8 years later (yeah, 8 years!!!) I got a call from a junkyard owner telling me my car was there. I literally jumped off the couch and looked outside, but my car was right where it was supposed to be. Freaking out thinking something must have happened to my wife, I asked him which car. When he told me which one it was, I told him I had traded that car in to a dealership almost 10 years ago. He said that he had it if I wanted to come pick it up and that it was $50 due to the towing fee. I never went to get it, but that was really odd and by that time (8 years!) I can't imagine that I'd have to still have the paperwork on the trade. Had a camera ticketed that car, I'd have gotten the ticket, all because the dealership didn't bother to change the ownership over (guess they never sold it or something). And after 8 years of not having it, I'd be stuck with the ticket if I couldn't prove I had traded in that car (Really? Gotta keep the paperwork that long?). Dunno, but that's a concern I have about the camera tickets. :-o

Yeah, I'm not a fan of them, either. My mother once got a ticket in the mail from one of those cameras. It showed a picture of a van with Jersey plates driving in a tunnel. My mother owned an Alero and lived in the middle-of-nowhere Illinois at the time. Fairly certain there aren't tunnels around there...

On a related note, the neighboring town to where I live lost their mayor to prison last year when he tried to blackmail the company putting in these camera lights. He told them he'd rescind the city's order if they didn't give him something like $3,600. Seriously. He sold his ethics for a measly $3,600. They called the FBI, and he was arrested after the cash exchange. Moron.

Heh about your mom. Sounds kinda like the two letters I got about a year ago that said I was involved in a hit-and-run. 8-o Each letter had two different plates and two different makes, models, and color of cars (white Toyota truck and a silver Camry). Same officer's name on both business cards. So I called him and told him about the letters and that I didn't own anything remotely close to what was described (one of my cars was black and the other was dark metallic green). Told him he was free to come out and inspect both of my cars to see there had been no damage to either one and neither had been repaired for any damage, and also that I wasn't in the area mentioned in the letters at the time the accident happened. He told me to jot down on the letters that I had spoken to him and he told me to "dismiss" those letters and keep them in my glove box. :-b

$3,600? 8-o That's it? 8-o Maybe he figured for such a small amount, they'd just cough it up? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk