RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RIAA: Putting a Legal CD On Your Comp Is Stealing

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:40 pm

On a similar note, my ex has screwed more musicians than Napster.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:44 pm

Coppermine wrote:In the digital age, is that really so far-fetched? Digital copies aren't tangible... don't steal a candy bar/magazine/pair of scissors is far more logical than "don't make a copy of you're CD or it's stealing." Come on Mad, you never made a "mix tape" for the mrs. when you two were "courting?" Maybe some Boyz II Men or Barry White? Perhaps some New Kids On The Block? Because that was illegal too. Making restrictions on digital, non-tangible things like MP3 files is far harder than anything because it violates common sense.

Not really. If I burned a CD with Boyz II Men and Barry White tracks, by law, it's fair use...granted that 1) I own rights to the music (I'm a copyright owner or I purchased the music) and 2) don't redistribute it or publicly exhibit it (unless the terms of the license condone that or ask permission of the copyright owner).

Now, let's say I created a wrestling mashup video with some heavy metal music (both are copyrighted). Again, as long as I have rights to both works and I don't upload it to Youtube without the owner's permission, it's technically fine for personal use. If I happen to upload it to Youtube and the like, I could be in trouble - unless, my work is transformative enough to constitute fair use.

I agree that it's hard to enforce copyright law and agree furthermore that the RIAA's witch hunt smacks of stupidity because it's difficult to track who has authorized tracks or not, but there should be an awareness that the average user should have in knowing what their rights are in using pieces of work. Knowing that the RIAA is going after sharers, it should be known that you could be in trouble if you do.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Tavish wrote:You do not buy "songs" from iTunes. You buy a license to use a song. That license can any sort of privileges that Apple has negotiated with the copyright holder. I have never actually used iTunes but IIRC they were offering a iTunes Plus license for some songs which was basically a restriction free version (read: no DRM) for a slightly higher price. Or you could buy a restricted license which allowed it to be shared amongst X number of computers.

The "Plus" feature allows you do d/l the file in an MP3 format (as opposed to their M4P protected format) for an extra $0.30. Obviously, if you download into the MP3 format, you can use iTunes files on any digital music player and not just an iPod.

When they released that feature, they installed an option to allow you to convert your entire library for $0.30/file in one fell swoop. It would have been cheaper for me to buy an iPod...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 pm

Lofunzo wrote:On a similar note, my ex has screwed more musicians than Napster.

Is she pretty? Tell her I play the clarinet. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I always figured you blew wood, but I never thought you'd admit it. O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:14 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

I always figured you blew wood, but I never thought you'd admit it. O:-)

You know, my first instinct was flute and I changed it for this very reason. Should have gone with banjo. !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:You know, my first instinct was flute and I changed it for this very reason. Should have gone with banjo. !+)

Just keepin' you on your toes. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 pm

If the music industry is so concerned about the security of their product, they should stop selling digital files and go back to LP records or 8 track tapes that can't be copied.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:04 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:If the music industry is so concerned about the security of their product, they should stop selling digital files and go back to LP records or 8 track tapes that can't be copied.

Right, because there's so much money to be made in antiquated technology.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:41 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:If the music industry is so concerned about the security of their product, they should stop selling digital files and go back to LP records or 8 track tapes that can't be copied.

Records are being preserved all the time. I know a few collectors that have something like these, and they can be bought in all kinds of stores, so they are legal:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=usb%20turntable&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_ya_hhh-1_blended_40813542_1&results-process=default

No clue if there's something similar for 8-tracks.

Now here's the billion dollar question.... If the RIAA wants to say it's illegal to burn a copy of music someone purchases to their own machine, for their own use, then why aren't products like the ones in the link above made illegal? :-? What obvious thing am I missing?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk