Daric Barton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Daric Barton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daric Barton

Postby Chiefscards » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:58 pm

The kid played well after call ups, is he projected to start next season? We're allowed to keep one rookie, and am wondering if I should keep him or try and trade for another one.
Any fool can piss on the floor....may you be the hero that craps on the ceiling!
Chiefscards
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daric Barton

Postby cardinal1975 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:36 pm

I think you might look to move him.....He is a more hyped version of Lyle Overbay. He will be a solid player who should hit around .300 but has no more than 15-20hr power at 1B. I think you can do a lot better because you can only keep one rookie. If you can't do any better I would expect him to get at least 350-450 plate appearances next year as Oakland looks to be rebuilding. :-)
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby KSJayhawk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Barton will probably start over Johnson at 1B, but I wouldn't hold on to him if you can only keep one rookie. While he'll be a solid contact hitter, your probably not going to see much power out of him. If I'm going to gamble on a 1B rookie then I'm looking for power potential out of that position.
KSJayhawk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:47 pm

If Barton does ever turn that gap power into homers, it won't be for a couple of years. There many rookie who are better keepers than him.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BigLeagueFutures » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Is Barton the only rookie on your team? If so what are some of the deals you are considering?
For Daily News On Prospects Visit -- http://bigleaguefutures.com/
BigLeagueFutures
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Half Massed » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Barton is projected to start next season, but as has been said, unless your league uses OBP, Barton likely won't be the best fantasy rookie option next season. That being said, you could do worse.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm very bullish on Barton. There are plenty of prospects who don't show power until hitting the big stage. I think he will surprise a lot of people.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chiefscards » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys! Was able to pick up Justin Upton for a mid round draft pick, think he should be a better keeper anyway.
Any fool can piss on the floor....may you be the hero that craps on the ceiling!
Chiefscards
College Coach
College Coach

Postby burntfaceman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm very bullish on Barton. There are plenty of prospects who don't show power until hitting the big stage. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I completly agree with this. Barton is going to be an xbh machine, and if you play in a league that values obp even better.
burntfaceman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:09 am

burntfaceman wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm very bullish on Barton. There are plenty of prospects who don't show power until hitting the big stage. I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I completly agree with this. Barton is going to be an xbh machine, and if you play in a league that values obp even better.

Do either of you think he's going to be a 20+ HR hitter? Because otherwise he's just a Youkilis or Kotchman (backups in 12 team fantasy leagues). For fantasy purposes I'm not interested in 1B that hit 15 HR and get 1 SB. He'll give you good numbers in the other 3 categories and I think he'll be a very good real life player.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball