Billy Beane might not be so dumb... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:28 pm

Personally I didn't like the danny haren trade that billy beane made. But as he's shown in the past he has the knack for making killer deals. Anyway Dana Eveland came over in the deal and these are his stats from winter ball...

4-2, 2.51 ERA, 54 H, 69/15 K/BB in 61 IP

Not too shabby. Eveland had a decent amount of hype around him when he first came up a couple years back but he didn't stick around long. Anyways might be a decent name to remember especially if you dont like drafting pitchers early ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2021
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cafe of Fantasies

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby CadensDad » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:44 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Personally I didn't like the danny haren trade that billy beane made. But as he's shown in the past he has the knack for making killer deals. Anyway Dana Eveland came over in the deal and these are his stats from winter ball...

4-2, 2.51 ERA, 54 H, 69/15 K/BB in 61 IP

Not too shabby. Eveland had a decent amount of hype around him when he first came up a couple years back but he didn't stick around long. Anyways might be a decent name to remember especially if you dont like drafting pitchers early ;-D



He traded away his first 3 stud pitchers and hasn't regretted that. I dont see it changing for him. Smart move IMO
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:25 pm

CadensDad wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:Personally I didn't like the danny haren trade that billy beane made. But as he's shown in the past he has the knack for making killer deals. Anyway Dana Eveland came over in the deal and these are his stats from winter ball...

4-2, 2.51 ERA, 54 H, 69/15 K/BB in 61 IP

Not too shabby. Eveland had a decent amount of hype around him when he first came up a couple years back but he didn't stick around long. Anyways might be a decent name to remember especially if you dont like drafting pitchers early ;-D



He traded away his first 3 stud pitchers and hasn't regretted that. I dont see it changing for him. Smart move IMO

Agreed. He was a moron for not keeping Mulder, a moron for not keeping Tim Hudson, and I suppose most agreed with letting Zito go, but you get the picture. The last thing Billy Beane is is anything less than an excellent MLB General Manager. I imagine we'll be hearing quite a bit of the names he flipped in the Dan Haren deal over the next couple of seasons.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24815
(Past Year: 360)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby cordscords » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Whoever said Beane was dumb doesnt know that they are talking about. Beane is the smartest GM in all of baseball.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby Ender » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:23 pm

Eveland has had attitude and weight problems holding him back his entire career so I wouldn't be on him. Gonzalez will be as valuable as Haren by the time Oakland is competitive again so my guess is the trade works out no matter what.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:44 pm

i dont know many people who have ever called him dumb...
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby CadensDad » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:40 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i dont know many people who have ever called him dumb...



Yeah, he ma not be the most popular GM but he isn't "DUMB" by any means
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:46 am

I like Beane as much as anybody. However, every GM makes bad trades. Not saying this will be, but i don't like it alot. Imo, you can't compare the Hudson/Mulder/Zito deals. All 3 of those guys when leaving, were only a part of what they were. Haren, is on the upside (stat wise).

2002

Oakland trades Carlos Pena, Jeremy Bondeman, Franklin German to Tigers in a 3 way trade, receiving

Ted Lilly, John-Ford Griffin, Jason Arnold.

You think Beane wouldn't want Pena/Bonderman?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby laxguy8947 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:32 am

The Hudson trade was a bit of a stinker for Beane really. He got one real pitching prospect (Dan Meyer), who now, aged 25, has pitched 18 innings in the bigs, a 6th or 7th man type arm in Juan Cruz, and a random AAAA OFer who put together a flukish half of a season with the Braves, in Charles Thomas. Pretty dreadful, especially compared to the Mulder trade.
Image
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 918
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheering for the Braves in VA

Re: Billy Beane might not be so dumb...

Postby CadensDad » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:48 am

laxguy8947 wrote:The Hudson trade was a bit of a stinker for Beane really. He got one real pitching prospect (Dan Meyer), who now, aged 25, has pitched 18 innings in the bigs, a 6th or 7th man type arm in Juan Cruz, and a random AAAA OFer who put together a flukish half of a season with the Braves, in Charles Thomas. Pretty dreadful, especially compared to the Mulder trade.



but on the $$$ side of it he came out on top since Huddy wanted more money than he could spend
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact