Benazir Bhutto Dies After Suicide Bombing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Benazir Bhutto Dies After Suicide Bombing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benazir Bhutto Dies After Suicide Bombing

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am

This certainly isn't going to help things over there. :-/

CNN.com wrote:RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has died after a suicide bombing that killed at least 14 of her supporters, ex-government spokesman Tariq Azim Khan and Pakistan's primary television networks said.

Bhutto suffered bullet wounds in the aftermath of the bomb attack, TV networks report.

Video of the scene just moments before the explosion showed Bhutto stepping into a heavily-guarded vehicle to leave the rally.

Khan said while it appeared Bhutto was shot, it was unclear if her bullet wounds were caused by a shooting or shrapnel from the bomb.

The suicide attack left at least 14 dead and 40 injured, Khan told CNN in a telephone interview.

The attacker is said to have detonated a bomb as he tried to enter the rally where thousands of people gathered to hear Bhutto speak, police said.

Video from the scene of the blast broadcast from Geo TV showed wounded people being loaded into ambulances.

Up to 20 people are dead, the report said.

Earlier, four supporters of former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif died when members of another political party opened fire on them at a rally near the Islamabad airport Friday, local police said.

Several other members of Sharif's party were wounded, police added.

While President Pervez Musharraf has promised free and fair parliamentary elections next month, continued instability in the tribal areas and the threat of attack on large crowds has kept people from attending political rallies and dampened the country's political process.

Campaigners from various political groups say fewer people are coming out to show their support due to government crackdowns and the threat of violence.

At least 136 people were killed and more than 387 wounded on October 18 when a suicide bomber attacked Bhutto's slow-moving motorcade. The former PM returned to the country after eight years of self-imposed exile to a massive show of support in the southern port city of Karachi.

Bhutto called it "an attack on democracy" and vowed it would not deter her political campaign.

Thursday's violence come less than two weeks ahead of January parliamentary elections and as many days after President Pervez Musharraf lifted a six-week-old state of emergency he said was necessary to ensure the country's stability.

Critics said Musharraf's political maneuvering was meant to stifle the country's judiciary as well as curb the media and opposition groups to secure more power.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Benazir Bhutto Dies After Suicide Bombing

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Yeah this actually pretty big news and could end ugly. I wouldn't call Pakistan stable recently and this will add to the tensions.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:44 pm

While this is big news, I wouldn't exactly paint it as the foreshadowing of major conflict. Pakistan is becoming very much a US partner with the amount of financial aid that Bush has poured into the country. I'm sure there will be some civil unrest due to the timing of the assassination, but I don't see it blowing up any further than that. The country will still work its' way towards reconciliation after the latest election uproar.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:52 pm

This could be just another unfortunate assassination, or it could be another Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

I'm sincerely hoping for the former, not the latter.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bleach168 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:05 pm

This is huge and very bad for us.

Pakistan is a very unstable country that has nukes. Experts have long considered it the biggest security threat to the united states and this is why.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby tuff_gong » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 am

My first couple of thoughts when I read about this this morning.

1. When something like this happens, it makes me glad I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I don't have to worry about that in my day-to-day life.

2. Maybe this will finally get our government to stop worrying about Iran, and start paying more attention to Pakistan, whose instability is much more troubling, in my opinion.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:51 am

and in response the UN calls an emergency session where they deliberate and come to the conclusion that they will condemn the assassination

is there a more worthless group of people anywhere? (besides the terrorists themselves obviously)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:54 am

Bad news, but unfortunately, not at all surprising. It appears that Al Queda is claiming responsibility for this, but I'm not buying it. I guess it could be them, but much more likely that it was the ISI. Musharref would have to be an idiot to be involved in this, right? This brings us one step closter to an ISI-governed state, which is pretty damn scary. Crazy times. Who knows who will have their finger on the button over there in the very near future.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 am

Art Vandelay wrote:It appears that Al Queda is claiming responsibility for this, but I'm not buying it.

According to CNN, the Al Qaeda claim is suspect at best. It was not carried through normal channels, and the source that received the claim is supposedly "unreliable."

Not that it matters all that much. Whoever did it still sucks, and this pushes Pakistan farther from Democracy.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:49 pm

Tavish wrote:While this is big news, I wouldn't exactly paint it as the foreshadowing of major conflict. Pakistan is becoming very much a US partner with the amount of financial aid that Bush has poured into the country. I'm sure there will be some civil unrest due to the timing of the assassination, but I don't see it blowing up any further than that. The country will still work its' way towards reconciliation after the latest election uproar.

I am not really an expert on the subject, but from what i have heard, political assassinations are nothing new in Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk