Mark Prior... SD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mark Prior... SD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Prior... SD

Postby B-Chad » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:03 am

Anyone willing to take a flyer on Prior this year? I mean he did have all last year off so maybe he'll come into the season healthy. Also have to love him pitching in PETCO. However, he is still Mark Prior, and it is still very unlikely he can stay healthy for any period of time, however, he clearly had the stuff to be a true stud ace, any chance anyone gives him of recapturing any of that? Any word on his recovery, velocity, location, all that good stuff? Kind of curious to see what he does this year, the kind of guy I'd like to grab in the last 3-5 rounds of my draft with the hopes he can contribute this year. Any insight, feedback, banter in general is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mark Prior... SD

Postby jetlag » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm

if he was healthy through spring training and no one else still available has the slightest bit of upside... I might take a late round flier on him. After all, the whole ex cub thing might be just what he needs to jumpstart his career. Or his arm will fall off.
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jrad32 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 pm

If I had a spot at the end of my auction I would consider throwing a buck at him, but I wouldn't go two.
Let's go Mets!
jrad32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm

The key thing to watch is his velocity. I dont' think he is coming back for the first few weeks so until there is more news on his progress, he is not draftable.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:56 pm

I would not draft him. He's just one to keep an eye on and nab off the free agent pool if he shows some signs of life.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby KSJayhawk » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:34 pm

I probably wouldn't pick him up unless it was a pretty deep league. Too much risk in a shallow league when there are other upside pitchers to be taken. If you don't mind the risk, then feel free to take a chance. Great pitcher if he could stay healthy, but I wouldn't gamble on much more than a small handful of wins and 75K.
KSJayhawk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:25 pm

I will have him as a target in my NL league but in a mixed I'd have to pass on him

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Big Train » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 am

Won't be wasting a pick after hearing this...

Padres right-hander Mark Prior is expected to throw off a mound within the next week, and club officials believe he might start a minor-league rehabilitation assignment in April and return in early May.

Prior's agent, John Boggs, advocates a more cautious approach.
"I would hope we wouldn't try to expedite things," Boggs says. "As far as I'm concerned, we didn't want to be in a position where he'd be rushed into duty."

Prior, 27, missed all of last season after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder April 24. He could be major-league ready by mid to late May, according to the timetable outlined by his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews.

"To do it before that starts to cross boundaries of being prudent," Boggs said. "I'd like to see him by the end of May, June 1. I don't want to see it before then. Then I think you're trying to hurry something that shouldn't be hurried.

"We looked at different clubs and the Padres assured us they weren't going to rush the process. Mark has got to get to the point where his confidence is at a zenith, where he's not thinking about his arm, but thinking about getting outs."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7744 ... rone-Prior
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates