Measuring GRIT - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Measuring GRIT

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Measuring GRIT

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:42 pm

http://www.flotsam-media.com/2007/12/fl ... izing.html

So many of you guys like discussing VORP and other statistical nerdities that I thought you'd might enjoy a new stat called General Requirements of Intangible Talent or GRIT. Yep, someone has taken the time to actually measure how 'gritty' a player really is.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Measuring GRIT

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:50 pm

I actually read that piece a couple of days ago. Its certainly an interesting piece, but the one thing I didn't like was he assumes that "talented" players can't be "gritty" players. Anway its always nice to get a unique stats so its certainly worth the read...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:07 pm

lol... That was a fun read. Thanks for the link! ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Who's More Grizzled?

Jim Greer.....Norm MacDonald
Wayne....Robert Duvall
Tate Mitchum.....Garth Brooks
Prize Keeper.....Jim Breuer

Jim Greer: Hello, everyone! I'm Jim Greer, and it's time once again for "Who's More Grizzled?" the game show that finds out who is the roughest, toughest, most hardbitten old-timer around, so let's bring out our contestants. He is our returning champion.. [ audience applauds as Wayne enters ] Yes, you have some fans in the audience, Wayne. You are a former sharecropper and a World War II veteran who hails rom Adler, Mississippi. So, what are you up to these days, Wayne?

Wayne: I mostly been huntin' and whittlin'.

Jim Greer: Well, that is great. Now, let's meet your opponent, he worked on an offshore oil rig until he broke his back, now he is a prospector. Please welcome Tate Mitchum! [ Tate walks out ] Welcome, Tate, and it looks like Wayne has his work cut our for him, because you, sir, are extremely grizzled!

Tate Mitchum: [ stares ] I don't much care for you.

Jim Greer: A lot of people don't - save it for the game! Let's get started. The categories are: "War", "Hard Times", "Bear Attacks", "Ailments", "Dead Wives", and finally "Coal Mining". And, Wayne, as the returning champion, you pick first.

Wayne: I don't much cotton to these computers today.

Jim Greer: You are good! As always, I'll pick for you. Let's try "Ailments". The question is: "How things treatin' ya?"

Wayne: I can't complain. My leg hurts, it means it's bound to rain. Wish them doctors at the VA could get that shrapnel out of my shoulder.

Jim Greer: That is correct! And, my, you are grizzled. It's still your board, Wayne.

Wayne: A lot of people don't know I was the first man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain!

Jim Greer: [ pause ] Let's go with "War!" The question is: "Grandpa, tell me a story." [ Tate buzzes in ] Tate!

Tate Mitchum: I was separated from our unit, came across a bunch of Germans asleep a field. Bayonetted every last one of them! Didn't find out 'til later the war had been over for a week.

Jim Greer: Very nice, Tate!

Tate Mitchum: When I was your age, I didn't call my seniors by their Christian name!

Jim Greer: Well, I'm sorry, sir.

Tate Mitchum: Keep it, boy, I'll take a strap to ya!

Jim Greer: I wish I could give you points for that grizzled exchange, but I can't. Let's go to "Dead Wives". The question is: "Life's hard, isn't it?"

Wayne: Damn right it is, Sonny! I lost Adeline in childbirth 40 years ago! Every Spring, when the dogwoods bloom and the posies take a first step, I think of the way she.. [ buzzer ]

Jim Greer: I'm sorry, that's wrong. No, no that wasn't grizzled, that was wistful. [ Tate buzzes in ] Mr. Mitchum, you can take a commanding lead here!

Tate Mitchum: I've buried wives, but a father should never bury a son. It was the flood of '52, we were all caught on the levee, but.. I don't want to talk about this no more.

Wayne: Yes! Yes, that is the answer! Well, now, you know what time it is? It's time for the Grizzled Speed Round! This is your chance to catch up, Wayne. One minute, $200 a question, let's begin. Money! [ Wayne buzzes in ]

Wayne: I don't believe in banks, I keep my earnings in a coffee can!

Jim Greer: Correct! Government! [ Tate buzzes in ] Mr. Mitchum!

Tate Mitchum: They oughtta keep their damn noses out of people's business!

Jim Greer: That's right! Higher Education! [ Wayne buzzes in ] Wayne!

Wayne: Never had much cause for book larnin'!

Jim Greer: Yes! Immigration! [ Tate buzzes in ] Mr. Mitchum!

Tate Mitchum: Got a strong back, we can use you!

Jim Greer: Correct! Religion! [ Wayne buzzes in ] Wayne!

Wayne: The day I set foot on that beach in Normandy, I never wished more that there was a god in heaven, and I was never more certain that they wasn't.

Tate Mitchum: Damn.. you are grizzled..

Jim Greer: We have a winner, and still champion - Wayne Little! Wayne, let's take a look and see what you've won!

Prize Keeper: You have won some salted meats and a bottle of Rebel Yell!

Jim Greer: Thank you both for playing, and, Wayne, enjoy your prizes!

Wayne: No, no, I don't need your charity, they ain't no such thing as a free lunch where I come from! Now, if you'll excuse, I got osme work to do. [ exits ]

Tate Mitchum: I'll be waiting for you after the show!

Jim Greer: Okay, that's all the time we have! Thanks for joining us on "Who's More Grizzled?"

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby swyck » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 am

Tavish wrote:Tate Mitchum: [ stares ] I don't much care for you.

LOL. :-b
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby sublime8414 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:18 pm

I saw that article sometime last week. It was amusing if you just read the summaries, I couldn't make it through the theory.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:I actually read that piece a couple of days ago. Its certainly an interesting piece, but the one thing I didn't like was he assumes that "talented" players can't be "gritty" players. Anway its always nice to get a unique stats so its certainly worth the read...

I believe he addressed your issue :-D

Talent – It is my contention that "grittiness" is a subset of talent that cannot translate well statistically. Two players may very well have the same raw amount of grit, but one player may have more tangible talent, making him appear less gritty because the grit is too diluted. Gritty players are those who have the largest concentration of grit. As such, too find the grittiest players, we should look for players who have as little tangible talent as possible.

Amazing article, probably one of the funniest I have read on baseball.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cordscords » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:02 pm

This is great stuff ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:13 pm

errrr Gritty, but a cool article ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1434)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:I actually read that piece a couple of days ago. Its certainly an interesting piece, but the one thing I didn't like was he assumes that "talented" players can't be "gritty" players. Anway its always nice to get a unique stats so its certainly worth the read...

I believe he addressed your issue :-D

Talent – It is my contention that "grittiness" is a subset of talent that cannot translate well statistically. Two players may very well have the same raw amount of grit, but one player may have more tangible talent, making him appear less gritty because the grit is too diluted. Gritty players are those who have the largest concentration of grit. As such, too find the grittiest players, we should look for players who have as little tangible talent as possible.

Amazing article, probably one of the funniest I have read on baseball.

Yes I am aware that he addresses the issue. My problem is why does lack of talent have to be part of the definition of gritty? It just doesn't make sense. If hes searching for the highest concentration of gritty then he should state the from the beginning, instead of stating hes looking for an absolute value of grittiness. A talented player could be just as gritty as anyone else but would have a lower concentration of grit by his definition...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers