leadoff hitter ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

leadoff hitter ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

leadoff hitter ?

Postby stevethumb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:28 pm

let's assume that jbruce is the opening day centerfielder....who hits leadoff for the reds ?

seems to me the lineup is a bit dysfunctional w/bruce in CF...and probably needs freel or hopper there to hit leadoff

opinions ? comments ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: leadoff hitter ?

Postby jpeters6 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:04 pm

I was wondering the same thing myself. IF we assume its bruce in CF then i really think you have to take a look at one of phillips, gonzo or edwin. None are the ideal candidate but nobody else seems really suited for that kind of role. I think I'd roll Gonzo out there just because i think edwin and phillips can do more damage lower in the order. My odds on bet is for hopper to be the opening day CF, with bruce coming up at the first injury. With Hopper i think we might line up something like this:
Hopper
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey
Votto/Hatteberg
Gonzo
Vazquez/Ross/?
Edwin
Pitcher

A long way to go but i think that looks decent. Hatteberg, gonzo or votto could flip up to the two hole and you could drop the dunn-phillips-griffey unit, and could probably flip dunn and griffey but that kind of thing will probably be pretty fluid early on.
jpeters6
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 pm

welcome to the Cafe, jpeters6 :-)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jpeters6 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks Steve, whats your take on the reds leadoff situation?
jpeters6
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:55 pm

my interest revolves around jbruce...he is a key component in my opportunity to repeat in my 13 team NL only league...i would like him to win that job but the reds may prefer a freel/hopper platoon to start the season as that combo does give them a true leadoff hitter..most likely the reds postpone starting bruce's arbitration clock and bring him up at first injury or allstar break whichever comes first
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jpeters6 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:04 am

Yes, I think you've diagnosed the situation dead on. His value may be highest for your team this season as a bargaining chip in a trade, but if you elect to keep him I would keep expectations in line and look for him for mid-season help moreso than to be an early stay in your starting lineup. Good luck with your league.
jpeters6
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kretz330 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:08 pm

jpeters6 wrote:I was wondering the same thing myself. IF we assume its bruce in CF then i really think you have to take a look at one of phillips, gonzo or edwin. None are the ideal candidate but nobody else seems really suited for that kind of role. I think I'd roll Gonzo out there just because i think edwin and phillips can do more damage lower in the order. My odds on bet is for hopper to be the opening day CF, with bruce coming up at the first injury. With Hopper i think we might line up something like this:
Hopper
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey
Votto/Hatteberg
Gonzo
Vazquez/Ross/?
Edwin
Pitcher

A long way to go but i think that looks decent. Hatteberg, gonzo or votto could flip up to the two hole and you could drop the dunn-phillips-griffey unit, and could probably flip dunn and griffey but that kind of thing will probably be pretty fluid early on.

I don't see how Hopper makes the opening day lineup over Jay Bruce who the Reds clearly need to get into their lineup soon. Although, I don't see Bruce leading off, maybe the Reds could use him in the same sort of roll the Royals use David Dejesus if they did use him as the lead off guy. A lead off guy who can get on base is sometimes more important than a lead off guy that can steal bases. Not every team can have a Jose Reyes, sometimes you have to deal with what you've got. Also, what are the chances of Freel playing third and leading off? I know he can and has in the past, I just haven't heard much of what the Reds plan on doing with Freel this season should Jay Bruce be in the lineup.
kretz330
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stevethumb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:49 pm

welcome to the cafe, kretz330 ;-D

i still don't think that the reds will put bruce on the 40 man roster and dropping a player AND starting his arbitration clock ticking, so freel and hopper battle it out for CF and leadoff hitter...bruce goes to AAA
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kretz330 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:51 pm

stevethumb wrote:welcome to the cafe, kretz330 ;-D

i still don't think that the reds will put bruce on the 40 man roster and dropping a player AND starting his arbitration clock ticking, so freel and hopper battle it out for CF and leadoff hitter...bruce goes to AAA

I agree the Reds don't want to begin the arbitration clock on Bruce before they have to. I just don't see why they would leave him in triple A longer than needed. Everything I've read about him is placing him as one of the top 5 minor league prospects. They have a chance to bring Bruce, Votto, and Bush all up in the same season and get them some major league experience and I think it would benefit them greatly to do it. Not so much this season, but you don't want to miss the opportunity in 2009 of making a playoff push while you still have some of your veteran players.
kretz330
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:25 am

stevethumb wrote:welcome to the cafe, kretz330 ;-D

Absolutely agree. Bruce would have to have an AMAZING spring to make the Reds roster. Baker is already leaning towards Hopper (over Freel.) I think Ryan will play supersub again this year. Edwin is going to be entrenched at 3B. With the way Griffey needs a day off, Freel will get some AB's.

Problem for all the Reds rookies is Baker. He is known for not playing them. I assume that barring a poor spring by Bailey and Votto they will be the young faces to make the big club at the start of the year. Cueto and Bruce will start in the minors.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Cincinnati Reds