Chamberlain..Start/Relief? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chamberlain..Start/Relief?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chamberlain..Start/Relief?

Postby jentman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:54 am

Mussina is a 6 inning pitcher.Hughes and Kennedy are rookies.If Kennedy pitches well in the spring,he will start..Does it make sense for Chamberlain to be ready for the 7th & 8th rather than start? Its been said that adding Kennedy is the hold up for Santana..If he has a good spring, how can the Yanks send him down? Just my uneducated opinion
jentman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain..Start/Relief?

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:24 am

I'm pretty convinced that they're going to make him a reliever now but hopefully I'm wrong.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby San D » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:47 am

I've read that they will begin Joba in relief and then start him in the later part of the season. This way, it will keep his innings down and he'll be somewhat fresh for a playoff run.

Let's see...the rotation is Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and then it looks like Kennedy. They'll need Kennedy in the majors (unless he's included in a trade for a pitcher like Santana) since there's no other real good 4th/5th starter candidate.....unless one thinks Igawa will rebound. %-6
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Joe LaCock » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:55 am

Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and Kennedy/Chamberlain- Does anybody think that rotation can contend for a championship? I don't see how the Yanks can say they don't "need" Santana. Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Buster Olney Blog 12/21 wrote:Heard this: If all goes well in spring training for the Yankees, Joba Chamberlain is likely to start next season in the Yankees' bullpen, as part of the team's effort to limit his innings. Chamberlain will go to spring training and, at the outset, prepare to pitch out of the rotation, along with five other rotation candidates: Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes, Mike Mussina and Ian Kennedy. Assuming that none of the other five has a physical or performance breakdown, Chamberlain would then open 2008 in the bullpen, as a set-up man, for at least the start of the season -- under the Joba Rules.

The Yankees want to restrict the number of innings Chamberlain throws, and working him out of the bullpen for at least a couple of months will allow them to do that. Chamberlain may return to the rotation sometime in the middle of the season, depending on the Yankees' needs.

I honestly think that's a great move. Give him some more MLB work out of the bullpen and limit his innings for a couple months, then have him ready for the rotation for the stretch run.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby in10s » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:43 pm

San D wrote:I've read that they will begin Joba in relief and then start him in the later part of the season. This way, it will keep his innings down and he'll be somewhat fresh for a playoff run.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Buster Olney Blog 12/21 wrote:Heard this: If all goes well in spring training for the Yankees, Joba Chamberlain is likely to start next season in the Yankees' bullpen, as part of the team's effort to limit his innings.

Found some interesting conflicting information. The article at http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... 7740.story focuses on inning counts and includes the following:

"Exact formulas that the Yankees come up with to determine how many innings each can safely pitch aren't something they plan to make public. One thing that is not in the plans, though, is using Chamberlain out of the bullpen ... An ESPN.com report Friday said, "Chamberlain is likely to start next season in the Yankees' bullpen as part of the team's effort to limit his innings" ... However, Cashman, Newman, senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner and pitching coach Dave Eiland said Friday that the plan is to have Chamberlain in the rotation.

The article continues with quotes from Yankees brass. I love Buster Olney, but I would put a lot of weight on NY Newsday with Yankee quotes and wonder if this time Buster has it wrong.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby apz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:01 am

Joe LaCock wrote:Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and Kennedy/Chamberlain- Does anybody think that rotation can contend for a championship? I don't see how the Yanks can say they don't "need" Santana. Joe

From what I've read and have heard from Yankee fans; they have little doubt that Hughes and Joba will be studs. I have my doubts and will be surprised if the Yankees go into the season with that rotation. I think Santana will be a Yankee before the season is over.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:17 pm

apz wrote:
Joe LaCock wrote:Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and Kennedy/Chamberlain- Does anybody think that rotation can contend for a championship? I don't see how the Yanks can say they don't "need" Santana. Joe

From what I've read and have heard from Yankee fans; they have little doubt that Hughes and Joba will be studs. I have my doubts and will be surprised if the Yankees go into the season with that rotation. I think Santana will be a Yankee before the season is over.

It's amazing how many sure thing prospects there are in the MLB...

I can't wait until Mussina falls flat on his face. Again. 1 of the so-called big 3 will get sent to the minors because he was ineffective. Another one is struggling with a 4.5 ERA. And then Igawa is in the rotation, Pavano is getting called up. And the Yankees panic and trade for Joe Blanton.

Both Hughes and Joba are extremely talented, but lots of prospects miss their ceilings. Or take 2-3 years to get there.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:24 pm

so if joba starts the season in teh bullpen...does this make him a top end middle relief guy? i play in a couple leagues with holds...so these guys 'hold' a lot of value...sorry, i couldnt resist :-b
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby laxguy8947 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:56 pm

shawngee03 wrote:so if joba starts the season in teh bullpen...does this make him a top end middle relief guy? i play in a couple leagues with holds...so these guys 'hold' a lot of value...sorry, i couldnt resist :-b

If Joba pitches like he did last year out of the pen he will certainly rack up some holds...be careful where you draft him though. He's way too "on the radar" if you know what I mean. He will probably get drafted too early in a lot of leagues.
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers