Funston: Off-season Big Board - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Funston: Off-season Big Board

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Funston: Off-season Big Board

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm curious about Reyes being ranked #3 over Pujols though. I'd think if anyone deserves a nod over Pujols, it would be either Holliday, Wright, or Utley.

Funston ranked Reyes #2 overall in the 2007 preseason lists so it's no surprise. Naturally, everyone smart took ARod after Pujols and dominated their leagues.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose32 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:05 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm curious about Reyes being ranked #3 over Pujols though. I'd think if anyone deserves a nod over Pujols, it would be either Holliday, Wright, or Utley.

Funston ranked Reyes #2 overall in the 2007 preseason lists so it's no surprise. Naturally, everyone smart took ARod after Pujols and dominated their leagues.

exactly, i was able to land A-Rod with the 6th pick in one league. look forward to taking pujols in 08
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:

That's right, Funston is a homer for Reyes. !+)

Last year in one of my leagues, Reyes was drafted 2nd and I pounced on A-Rod right after him. If this holds true, I hope that with some of the doubt cast on Pujols on the Cafe combined with Funston's Big Board will trickle into my H2HWS drafts and leaves me with Pujols after 4 or 5 picks. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby SignGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:

So drafting Arod or Pujols means you automatically win your league?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Last year in one of my leagues, Reyes was drafted 2nd and I pounced on A-Rod right after him. If this holds true, I hope that with some of the doubt cast on Pujols on the Cafe combined with Funston's Big Board will trickle into my H2HWS drafts and leaves me with Pujols after 4 or 5 picks. :-b

I took ARod in two leagues, got him with the third and sixth picks. He really carried both those teams and one was only threatened because my main opposition picked up Ryan Braun. I might consider Hanley but I'll probably still go with Pujols anyway.

SignGuy wrote:So drafting Arod or Pujols means you automatically win your league?

No, but I still think there's a gap between those two and the next tier of elite hitters. Pujols in 2006 and ARod in 2007 could guarantee a top 3 finish as long as your pitching did enough to stay afloat. MCab could join them if moving to Detroit motivates him to put in effort.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 am

Ender wrote:I wouldn't take Pujols with any of my first 5 picks. Terrible lineup around him and he already said if he is in as much pain as last year he won't play through it again. I don't see him really running anymore so he loses a little value there and 1B is pretty darn deep.

Guess i will be the lone wolf here. I would take Pujols 1. Lineup protection has little impact. The odds are much more favorable of Pujols beating last year, then Arod reaching last year, which was his best year, way over his norms. .336 career versus .306. Mucher better career oba.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:28 am

Fantasy wise, 1998 ARod is more valuable than 2007 ARod and 2006 Pujols.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:42 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Fantasy wise, 1998 ARod is more valuable than 2007 ARod and 2006 Pujols.

I was refering to irl. Arod had career highs in

oba
slugging%
runs
rbis
ops+
runs created
rc/g
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Ender » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:40 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Ender wrote:I wouldn't take Pujols with any of my first 5 picks. Terrible lineup around him and he already said if he is in as much pain as last year he won't play through it again. I don't see him really running anymore so he loses a little value there and 1B is pretty darn deep.

Guess i will be the lone wolf here. I would take Pujols 1. Lineup protection has little impact. The odds are much more favorable of Pujols beating last year, then Arod reaching last year, which was his best year, way over his norms. .336 career versus .306. Mucher better career oba.

I don't think ARod will come close to last years numbers but the 1st round is all about getting a sure thing and Pujols simply isn't one. Sure he might be healthy all year and maybe enough of the young guys in that lineup turn it around that his R/RBI's don't suffer but why take the risk. The injury risk alone pushes him out of the top 5 in my opinion, especially given his position.

As for ARod winning leagues by himself, I strongly disagree. Hanley gave me better value with the 28th pick than the guy who got ARod at #3. Braun gave me way more value, Fielder in the 4th round was more value. The year before Holliday in the 7th round gave me more value. You aren't going to win your league in the 1st round if it is a decent league, you can only lose it in the 1st.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:47 pm

That's true but in my case, drafting ARod really covered for poor draft choices like Travis Hafner in Round 2 and Justin Morneau in Round 3 in one league, plus I took Zambrano as my ace so I basically botched the first few rounds by not getting guys like Hanley but getting the first rounder right basically kept me afloat while I picked up valuable pieces like Granderson, Figgins, and Escobar along the way.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers