TRADE HOMER BAILY? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TRADE HOMER BAILY?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TRADE HOMER BAILY?

Postby jentman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Reds have Cuerto , Maloney and Baily. all on the cusp of making the team .Will the acquistion of Volquez allow them to trade Baily??
jentman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TRADE HOMER BAILY?

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:32 pm

They shouldn't trade just because they have a few good arms. You can never have too many young arms. The Yankees have Kennedy, Horne, Hughes, and Chamberlain. The Red Sox have Lester, Buchholz, Masterson, Hagadone, and Bowden. You build great teams by compiling talented young arms.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:39 pm

jentman wrote:Reds have Cuerto , Maloney and Baily. all on the cusp of making the team .Will the acquistion of Volquez allow them to trade Baily??

Only for a good veteran starting pitcher.

The Reds only have 2 solid veteran pitchers in Harang (very good) and Arroyo (decent). Volquez, Cueto, and Bailey are very talented, but at least 1 of them will struggle this season. And Maloney doesn't really deserve to mentioned in that group. He'll get a chance to be a major league starter, but he isn't nearly as talented as any of those 3. The starting rotation is the weakest part of Reds even after the trade (although honorable mention still goes to the bullpen with Cordero).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby San D » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:02 pm

jentman wrote:Reds have Cuerto , Maloney and Baily. all on the cusp of making the team .Will the acquistion of Volquez allow them to trade Baily??

I think they'll keep Bailey since they're trying to acquire all of the pitching that they can. Plus, this would be a "selling low" period if Cincinnati traded Bailey, and the Reds, while they could possibly get something good, probably couldn't get anything of equal value.

I'm just curious.....are you the same person as "talk show host"? You have decent thoughts into potential player moves by a team, but you also have the same capitalized subject lines, the same type of name-of-player spelling mistakes, and the same sentence structure. If so, your "undercover" attempts need work. :-b :-?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:42 pm

San D wrote:I'm just curious.....are you the same person as "talk show host"? You have decent thoughts into potential player moves by a team, but you also have the same capitalized subject lines, the same type of name-of-player spelling mistakes, and the same sentence structure. If so, your "undercover" attempts need work. :-b :-?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

But no, I wouldn't expect the Reds to trade Bailey. They aren't in position to contend right now. If they hang with Bailey and Cuento, they will have a very good, young core in a couple years that might push for the Central.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:41 pm

they only way they trade Bailey is to get another pitcher...someone like Bedard
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:22 pm

dclark0699 wrote:
San D wrote:But no, I wouldn't expect the Reds to trade Bailey. They aren't in position to contend right now. If they hang with Bailey and Cuento, they will have a very good, young core in a couple years that might push for the Central.

Many would beg to differ. The NL Central is wide open and don't expect anyone to score more runs in the division than the Reds. Would Bedard make them a WS contender? Maybe.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:39 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:
San D wrote:But no, I wouldn't expect the Reds to trade Bailey. They aren't in position to contend right now. If they hang with Bailey and Cuento, they will have a very good, young core in a couple years that might push for the Central.

Many would beg to differ. The NL Central is wide open and don't expect anyone to score more runs in the division than the Reds. Would Bedard make them a WS contender? Maybe.

I have to expect the Brewers and Cubs to compete for the division again. Give a couple years of maturity for the Bailey's, Cuento's, Bruce's, Votto's - and the Reds could be dangerous.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Apparently Reds are considering it.
From Rotoworld--

Erik Bedard-S- Orioles Dec. 23 - 1:01 pm et

The Cincinatti Enquirer believes the Orioles have backed off their demands for Jay Bruce from the Reds in an Erik Bedard trade but are still asking for three top prospects.

Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto would qualify. If the Orioles would settle for two players from that group and a somewhat lesser property -- perhaps Edinson Volquez -- then something still could get done. However, they've never been as likely to pull off a Bedard trade as their media has tried to make it seem.
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:34 pm

The Orioles are out of their minds. Boston will probably get Santana with guys that aren't half the talents that Bailey, Cueto, and Votto are. I'd only consider dealing Votto plus lesser prospects.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers