Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Awful move for the Reds. :-?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton to the Rangers

Postby hookem2003 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Is Hamilton a plus defender as far as CFs go? I've never heard him talked about in the Torri Hunter/GMJ/old school Andruw Jones range. If so that might make some difference in my opinion of this trade.

And while the Rangers now have a few pitching prospects, how many good prospects actually pan out to a top-of-the-rotation guy? That's need #1. And that's the need the Rangers can't fill through free agency. I just don't like it.

From what I've read, he has above average range for a CF and an absolute cannon for an arm (apparently grades out 80/80 8-o ) to go along with great baseball smarts.

And Volquez is not a #1.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:53 pm

hookem2003 wrote:
Is Hamilton a plus defender as far as CFs go? I've never heard him talked about in the Torri Hunter/GMJ/old school Andruw Jones range. If so that might make some difference in my opinion of this trade.

And while the Rangers now have a few pitching prospects, how many good prospects actually pan out to a top-of-the-rotation guy? That's need #1. And that's the need the Rangers can't fill through free agency. I just don't like it.

From what I've read, he has above average range for a CF and an absolute cannon for an arm (apparently grades out 80/80 8-o ) to go along with great baseball smarts.

And Volquez is not a #1.

His arm is plus plus. His range is plus.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ukjohn » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:59 am

As a Reds fan I really like this trade. Hamilton was a fan favorite, but had 18,000 thousand nagging injuries last year. The guy can't hit lefties and and can't stay healthy. Not to mention is one slip up from a long suspension. In return they get a pitcher with a plus arm. A lot of pitchers don't do that good in Texas and a move to the NL might be just what this guy needed. He's young and great stuff, and is moving into a much better league.

Jay Bruce > Josh Hamilton by a lot...Hamilton was vastly overrated because of his comeback stroy and this was a huge buy low, sell high trade by Wayne
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:09 am

Hamilton rated -5.7 runs in CF last year according to http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... _iYw&gid=6.

I'd trust that more than most fan ratings at least.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:47 am

ukjohn wrote:As a Reds fan I really like this trade. Hamilton was a fan favorite, but had 18,000 thousand nagging injuries last year. The guy can't hit lefties and and can't stay healthy. Not to mention is one slip up from a long suspension. In return they get a pitcher with a plus arm. A lot of pitchers don't do that good in Texas and a move to the NL might be just what this guy needed. He's young and great stuff, and is moving into a much better league.

Jay Bruce > Josh Hamilton by a lot...Hamilton was vastly overrated because of his comeback stroy and this was a huge buy low, sell high trade by Wayne

Pretty interesting analysis. As a Twins fan Hamilton piqued my interest, but scares the crap out of me for the reasons you listed. The big thing for the Reds is that it gives them another starter and frees up playing time for Jay Bruce. Maybe they could have gotten more for Hamilton, but this makes their team better.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:13 am

As a Reds fan this is a deal that's hard to like and hard to hate. Hobbs was a really neat story and we were all behind him, but the injuries got ridiculous - along with the inability to hit lefties. I'm still going to pull for him and hope he becomes a .300/40/120 guy in the end. The talent is so tangible when you watch him.

Also I'm loving the Reds acquiring young pitchers rather than send them off for a rental.

And I'd imagine his defense was rated rather poorly because he had more than his share of bonehead plays last year. I think we can all cut him some slack on that given his time off from the game. He's way above average defensively IMO.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:43 am

Should the Reds have moved Hamilton? Of course. Could they have gotten more for him? You bet. I felt like they should have asked for a package with Diamond at least if they were speaking with Texas. I don't know why they were dealing with Texas in the first place since the Twins would have loved Hamilton and could have given quality pitching they can part with like Slowey, Perkins, or anything else from that deep farm system.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hot4tx » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:51 pm

I don't know why they were dealing with Texas in the first place since the Twins would have loved Hamilton and could have given quality pitching they can part with like Slowey, Perkins, or anything else from that deep farm system.

Probably because the Twins rarely give up their top young pitchers. They stock-pile them. Like the Ranger should. And Diamond is a HUGE injury issue now with his latest surgery. :,-(
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 146)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Zito is God wrote:Should the Reds have moved Hamilton? Of course. Could they have gotten more for him? You bet. I felt like they should have asked for a package with Diamond at least if they were speaking with Texas. I don't know why they were dealing with Texas in the first place since the Twins would have loved Hamilton and could have given quality pitching they can part with like Slowey, Perkins, or anything else from that deep farm system.

I think the guy they got has a MUCH higher ceiling than the Twins prospects. Not saying he's gonna pan out, but he has #1 stuff. Not to slight him, but I really don't think Slowey develops to much more than a serviceable AL pitcher.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers