Josh Hamilton to the Rangers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hamilton to the Rangers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Josh Hamilton to the Rangers

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:13 am

Yay! We got yet another hitter! ;-7 And we all know hitting is a major problem for the Rangers! ;-7

:-S

:-b

Ok, I actually think this one is ok. Not thrilled with giving up on Volquez so fast, but they know more than I do (I hope). :-o

Maybe this is more of an '09 to '10 type of deal...... Get Hamilton here in a relatively cheap trade, let him mash for a season or two, trade him away for something much better than we traded away to get him? :-?

We still need pitching though. :~(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:17 am

I guess I'm the only one that likes the trade as far as the Reds go, honestly I would consider it a good deal for both sides. Josh Hamilton is/was a very good talent, but the fact is he has had drug and/or injury issues in every season he has played. You say he is over drugs, ok but he still has those pesky injuries looming and has a nice history of them. The Reds did what any team would do who doesnt have a big problem in the OF, but who needs pitching (3rd worst in ERA and 23rd in WHIP). Volquez has showed good progress, and is worth at least a shot at developing into a solid/decent arm ... has the stuff just needs to work on location. If he doesnt work out as a starter, still has a shot at becoming a pretty good RP.

Also Havok, you can never have to many arms.... and I dont think the Reds are stacked by any means IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am

Ender wrote:Maybe they realized Bailey is not in the same league as Lincecum, Gallardo and Hughes~(luckily Cueto probably is).

Still seems like they got too little back for Hamilton even though I'm not a huge fan of him going forward.

I don't know. Bailey had a bad season but it's too early to write him off. Krivsky has an obsession with pitchers apparently so nothing surprises anymore.

I think this is a decent deal for both. Hamilton is a good talent and could be a solid player but I don't think simply doubling his 07 production is a realistic expectation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hot4tx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:20 am

Well I guess if fans on both sides think it's a bad trade, then it must be pretty even talent-wise. B-)

I just don't know where the Rangers are going with this, even if they did get a little more talent. It's easy to sign Free Agent hitters to come to Texas, but difficult to sign good pitchers. They were starting a rebuilding around a core of young pitchers, and then a few months later they're trading them away.

The Rangers seem like once again they are floating around with no real long-term strategy. I had hoped that changed recently. I look forward to pondering "what if" with my buddies in five years at the Arlington Hooters while watching Chris Young, Jon Danks and Eddison pitch in the All-Star game. :,-(

I love the Rangers, but I think you have to admit they are the worst managed team in baseball. :~(
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 pm

i don't know the exact details of his injuries last year but i remember he was always going on the DL or sitting out games; is it wrong to think he's too injury prone?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Dusty is sure going to have fun ruining the arms of Johnny Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, & Volquez.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:44 pm

thedude wrote:Dusty is sure going to have fun ruining the arms of Johnny Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, & Volquez.

And benching Joey Votto and Jay Bruce for long periods.
I wonder if Neifi Perez can play 1B?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
thedude wrote:Dusty is sure going to have fun ruining the arms of Johnny Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, & Volquez.

And benching Joey Votto and Jay Bruce for long periods.
I wonder if Neifi Perez can play 1B?

I heard he's petitioning the league to remove his suspension.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby hookem2003 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Well I guess if fans on both sides think it's a bad trade, then it must be pretty even talent-wise.

I just don't know where the Rangers are going with this, even if they did get a little more talent. It's easy to sign Free Agent hitters to come to Texas, but difficult to sign good pitchers. They were starting a rebuilding around a core of young pitchers, and then a few months later they're trading them away.

The Rangers seem like once again they are floating around with no real long-term strategy. I had hoped that changed recently. I look forward to pondering "what if" with my buddies in five years at the Arlington Hooters while watching Chris Young, Jon Danks and Eddison pitch in the All-Star game.

I love the Rangers, but I think you have to admit they are the worst managed team in baseball.

I'm going to disagree with you. The Rangers have quite a few solid pitching prospects, but very few solid OF prospects. And the only position that the Rangers have had less luck with than SP is CF. This addresses 2 pressing needs for the team in a solid defender in CF and a bat with pop. Hamilton is a little more mlb proven as well. Furthermore, the Rangers have helped out the pitching staff by putting 3 plus defenders in the outfield. This club has ignored defense as long as it has ignored pitching. Things are headed in the right direction in Arlington, but it's not a quick fix when things have been so screwed up for so long.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Is Hamilton a plus defender as far as CFs go? I've never heard him talked about in the Torri Hunter/GMJ/old school Andruw Jones range. If so that might make some difference in my opinion of this trade.

And while the Rangers now have a few pitching prospects, how many good prospects actually pan out to a top-of-the-rotation guy? That's need #1. And that's the need the Rangers can't fill through free agency. I just don't like it.

Oh and BTHOtu. ;-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers