Why Do We Play Fantasy Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Do We Play Fantasy Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why Do We Play Fantasy Baseball?

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:35 pm

Pochucker wrote:Im older than all most all here 57. Started playing in late 80s. I play for all the reasons previously mentioned plus others. I love competition. Since I cant compete in sports anymore this replaces it. Ahh the days of compiling your results from the newspapers and trying to find "late games on the coast".

Congrats on being computer/internet literate! :-B ;-D

Seriously though, that's awesome. I hope I'm still involved in a league or two when I get to that point.

Anyway, I play because I love numbers and competition and all that. Heck I didn't even play in a money league last year and still had fun. It's just a great game IMHO, and gives me a chance to pretend to be a GM. It's even better when you start throwing keepers and contracts into the mix. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 pm

In our 12 t money league we have one guy who started playing at 60 yrs old! Hes now 66. My father (R.I.P.) started playing video games at 77yrs old (roleplaying games) after my mother passed. Its never to old to learn new things --when you stop trying to learn you stop living.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:44 pm

I think Baseball Boy said it best, and everybody on this thread has made some great points in general.

I do it for:

1) The GM factor. Being a baseball GM is my dream job too, and I think all the other guys in my league would say the same thing.
2) Following baseball has been as natural as eating & breathing to me since I was a little kid.
3) Money.
4) Bragging rights.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:29 pm

I love the game of baseball, and this is just another way for me to learn more about the game and its players. It really keeps me up-to-date on what's going on around the league outside of my home-town club. I enjoy getting to know the league's lesser-known players and appreciate some of their unique skill sets. Team-building and the accumulation of stats is at the heart of both the game of baseball and of fantasy baseball, which is why they mesh together so well.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby bleach168 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:58 pm

I'm a strategy game buff and fantasy baseball offers as much if not more strategy than most games you'll find out there.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:28 am

bleach168 wrote:I'm a strategy game buff and fantasy baseball offers as much if not more strategy than most games you'll find out there.

;-D ;-D

I like the enjoyment that comes from putting a great team together through the draft, making good trades, and scouring the waiver wire for new talent. When that's done and you win the championship, sure the money is great but the bragging rights you get over your friends are better than it all.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:17 am

It all started with 'strat 0 matic' in the 70s, I'm addicted and I love it, although for the most part - it has to be for the money I take from the youngsters. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:46 pm

talk show host wrote:GREAT COMMENTS ..Its all about being a "KID" again... :-)

still am one! O:-) and i kick my dads friends butt :-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wilbur » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm 41. I never had heard about fantasy or rotisserie baseball till the early 80's. I bought a book at the bookstore about rotisserie basesball and after reading it I was hooked. Even back then it was equally exciting. I always looked forward to my copy of the USA Today so I could compile our leagues stats for the period. I also remember printing stats and reports on a tractor feed with a Commodore 64 computer. Wow!! It's hard to imagine that I've played for over 20 years. Back then it was just a serpentine draft with 4X4 NL or AL league. I always liked that format, but now have over the past 10-15 years have done auction drafts. Auction drafts are clearly the best , but 4x4 Rotisseries with serpentine drafts will always have a special place just because I know that is where it all started. It never gets old. Always that competitive fire to be GM of a baseball. Times have changed since then but get the same sort of excitement by going online and seeing everything in real time. That is why I play fantasy baseball. It's a rush that few will understand but it is the greatest game ever created to supplement baseball. It never gets old.
Wilbur
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:16 pm

This will be my third year in fantasy baseball and i started out playing because i thought it would help pass the time until football season starts up again. :-b

I've really learned to enjoy fantasy baseball. I like the fact that the stats actually can be quantified, unlike in fantasy football, if that makes any sense. To me, fantasy baseball is more of a stat nerds game, and thats why i fit right in!!
GreatestShowOnEarth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers