What do you think of my 27 team, 4-2 league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think of my 27 team, 4-2 league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What do you think of my 27 team, 4-2 league?

Postby NZ F » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm

The entire point of FBB to me is working 24/7 for 6 mths to improve your roster. As I've always said, the draft is a small part of success in fantasy. Traditionally I am only a so-so drafter but leave no stone unturned to maximise my roster and this is the part I excel in and what sets me apart from my peers. With your league settings the entire league is based around the draft and that often is very much luck oriented so it takes the skill factor out of the equation. It's certainly not for me but if it works for you then good luck to you.
NZ F
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:06 am

blaseta wrote:As for 27 being too many, I counter that less than 20 is way to little.

I hear ya brother ;-D
10 and 12 team leagues strike me as unbelievably boring. What is the challenge?
It is more fun picking up a Jack Cust or Ian Snell off waivers and watching them blossom. In 10 and 12 team there is too much talent on waivers.
I'm in 18 and 20 team dynasty leagues. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Third Day » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:51 am

AussieDodger wrote:
blaseta wrote:As for 27 being too many, I counter that less than 20 is way to little.

I hear ya brother ;-D
10 and 12 team leagues strike me as unbelievably boring. What is the challenge?
It is more fun picking up a Jack Cust or Ian Snell off waivers and watching them blossom. In 10 and 12 team there is too much talent on waivers.
I'm in 18 and 20 team dynasty leagues. ;-D

I love larger leagues but it also increases the chances that someone will quit during the season.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:33 am

Third Day wrote:I love larger leagues but it also increases the chances that someone will quit during the season.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind larger than 18+ team leagues but that just increases the chance of more teams going inactive throughout the year. :-t 14 team leagues seem to be just perfect for me....add in a low number of max moves(no more than 50) and make it a weekly league so you gotta play the guys you draft(for the most part) instead of playing musical chairs with all your roster spots and I'm a happy man.

The OPs league sounds like a little overkill to me as well. %-6
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby markj11 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

blaseta wrote:
Finally, I strongly disagree that "everything about this league fails". I think the focus may differ very much from traditional formats, but I would agrue that the skill required to succeed is higher given that study requires a lot more than just taking available rankings (because of the absense of runs, steals, strikeouts) and that you need to have a good grasp on a lot more players.

Wouldn't more categories mean that you need to have a good grasp on a lot more players? I'm in a 9X9 league, you talk about knowing a lot more about players. Do you even know who J.J. Putz, Health Bell, or Joakim Soria are? Do you even care what studs may be called up?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blaseta » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:23 am

Wow, lots of responses last night, that is great. I don't want to go too in depth into everything, because I don't think that is the point but there are a couple things I'd like to touch on.

A couple guys mentioned the problem of people becoming inactive during the year when you have so many teams. The only other fantasy league I've been in was a fantasy football this last season and it showed me just how terrible it is when owners become inactive. With my league inactivity only rears its ugly head at the redraft around the all-star break when you may get a team or two that doesn't show up because they are way out of it. This is controlled, though, by the fact that by not showing up, or getting a different owner to make proxy picks for you, you will not be invited next year. There is a long waiting list to get in the league so this threat is more than credible (the list is so long I only got in because my Uncle is the commissioner).

markj11 wrote:
Wouldn't more categories mean that you need to have a good grasp on a lot more players? I'm in a 9X9 league, you talk about knowing a lot more about players. Do you even know who J.J. Putz, Health Bell, or Joakim Soria are? Do you even care what studs may be called up?

I'll grant you that I know little or nothing about relievers, although I certainly do know about Putz, Bell, and Soria (I admit most players in the league wouldn't). I also keep up with "studs" being called up if for nothing else as prep for next year or the re-draft, again not everyone in the league is as diligent. So you may have a point that the general knowledge level when it comes to relievers is low across the league. I'd counter that the emphasis that FBB puts on closers is way out of wack with their actual value; I would hazard a guess that close to half of the fantasy baseball analysis available during the season deals with closers and saves, if not more.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming. Just talking about FBB like this is really getting my juices going for the draft (the biggest day of the year)
Check out the rules to my unique 4X2 27 team league
blaseta
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby markj11 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:45 am

Have you ever played in any other FBB format? I'm just wandering because if you haven't then I could see why you like this. Anyway, this may just be the right format for you. I have tried a lot of different leagues and configurations, my main league, the 9X9, I have found to be my favorite because you have to account for so many stats and it makes unknown 5X5 players valuable. Like I said, or someone may have said, each person likes his league for different reasons. Just make sure you tried other types before you settle on one becuase you could be missing out.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blaseta » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:57 am

markj11, no I haven't played in other formats. I've looked a little, including this year, and tried to find a different one that I think would suit me (more because I can't get enough FBB than because it will give me a chance to try other formats although that is certainly a nice side effect). The issue I have, and perhaps this isn't a common feeling amongst the type of people that would be posting on a FBB forum in December, is that I don't want to have to be making moves every day. I'd like to be able to go on vacation for a couple weeks and not worry about whether I've got the latest closer du jour; yet I know that if I was in a daily league I couldn't do that (this was confirmed this year when I had to find internet access on my honeymoon to manage my FFB team even though it is my first time with FFB and I don't like it near as much as FBB).

All that being said, I think I will try a different league this year. One other thing maybe I could get some thoughts on from you guys is the value of live drafts versus internet drafts. I really like the gravitas that a live draft entails, although our draft usually approaches 8 hours so it can get tiresome. However, I know that is isn't realistic to try for a live draft, and my experiences with FFB showed me that the internet draft isn't so bad.
blaseta
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby markj11 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 pm

I know what you mean about being the first to internet, I am a computer programmer who doesn't have a computer at home. The only time I can get on the internet is from 8-5 Mon.-Fri. My main league which is made up friends (12 teams) we always do a live draft at the winners house with 1min. max and 10min. breaks after 5 rounds, plenty of food and beer. With you being in such a large league I'm sure draft day gets old pretty quick. I always join a yahoo public league each year just try out new formats, I may try a league with forum members this year since yahoo public leagues usually only end up with about 5 active GMs.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blaseta » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Yeah, the draft can drag out, usually in the middle rounds. The really tough part is if you are near one of the ends of the rounds. You could be waiting for 52 picks between yours (if you are at one of the very ends) so this can, obviously, be a long wait, not to mention really limiting how fancy you can get waiting for someone, this means if you really want someone you usually have to reach. A couple years ago I was lucky enough to get two teams (an owner didn't show, there is no conflict of interest because no in-season moves, there are quite a few people who are part owners in more than one team), I was excited that it might negate some of that long wait; but I ended up being only seperated by two slots so it didn't happen, oh well.
blaseta
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers