Geoff Jenkins to Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Geoff Jenkins to Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Geoff Jenkins to Phillies

Postby legoshoe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:16 pm

So is he starting or platooning? And what does this do to his value in deep mixed leagues? (20 team dynasties)

If he starts, I like his chances of having a better year.
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Geoff Jenkins to Phillies

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm

He's a nice sleeper.
He's gonna be hitting in a better park and a line-up.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby double22deuce » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:29 pm

If Jenkins could see the ball better he would be awesome, unfortunetly he will always have the high strike out walk ratio and well nice guy to complete ur OF roster. I like him and im banking on the Phillies having a great year! ;-)
double22deuce
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Phineas Lives » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 am

Lifelong Brewer Fan here....

As a player, Jenkins gives you hustle, determination and 110%. He doesn't give you great numbers, which is what fantasy baseball is all about, right?

Looking at his lines of the past five years, even with the ball park change, I think it would be folly to anticipate more than .265-20-75. Whether or not that is worth getting in a mixed-league is up to you, though I would think you could find better. Keep in mind that Jenkins has a history of injury and he isn't getting any younger.

That said, if you are a Philly fan, Jenks is a guy worth seeing play ball. Moreover, he will be a great asset to the community. Sadly, these are not numbers in a fantasy baseball league, either.

~Phineas
Phineas Lives
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Standing in Line for Season Tickets for the New Twins Stadium!!!!!

Postby dooz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:18 am

Phineas Lives wrote:Lifelong Brewer Fan here....

As a player, Jenkins gives you hustle, determination and 110%. He doesn't give you great numbers, which is what fantasy baseball is all about, right?

Looking at his lines of the past five years, even with the ball park change, I think it would be folly to anticipate more than .265-20-75. Whether or not that is worth getting in a mixed-league is up to you, though I would think you could find better. Keep in mind that Jenkins has a history of injury and he isn't getting any younger.

That said, if you are a Philly fan, Jenks is a guy worth seeing play ball. Moreover, he will be a great asset to the community. Sadly, these are not numbers in a fantasy baseball league, either.

~Phineas

Not so much last year but in years past, Jenkins has had month long hot streaks that were more than employable on fantasy teams. He shouldn't be drafted and I don't see much from more from him in Philly but does have some fringe fantasy relevance.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby DC_Commish » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 pm

ESPN's Tristan Cockcroft assessed Jenkins' move to Philly in his December 21 column. Cockcroft noted that, against right-handers, Jenkins' career numbers (.288/21.1/.883) are well above the league average. Here is his take on 2008:

Plus, landing in Philadelphia, in that bandbox ballpark, Jenkins couldn't have found a better destination. The Phillies are notably thinner in the outfield with Aaron Rowand gone, so Jenkins should see every single right-handed starter the Phillies face in 2008, and in 2007, they saw 110 of them. That could mean as many as 450 plate appearances, and if the Phillies use him right -- read: never against a lefty -- he could really surprise, at least to the level of a strong mixed-league matchups type or National League-only third/fourth outfielder.

As long as your league does daily lineup changes, you should be able to exploit the platoon and enjoy those 450 PAs. I have seen (outdated) auction cheat sheets pricing him as low as $1, so he is likely to be undervalued in many leagues.
Fight racism in our schools. American Indians are people, not mascots.
DC_Commish Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dutchboy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Life long Phillies fan. Jenkins will sit against tough lefties replaced by Jayson Werth.
He should see a reasonable amount of ABs this year especially if Pat the Bat hits 200 again through May. If this happens I wouldn't be surprised to see Werth and Jenkins playing the outfield even against some lefties. That being said I wouldn't want him as my 3rd outfielder unless I was in a very deep league.
Dutchboy, GM Magpies.
Dutchboy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates