dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CURT SCHILLING

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:13 pm

PerfectTen66 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
PerfectTen66 wrote:Even though I think Curt Schilling is wrong on this subject, I will not get on his case too much. I think he has the right to write/say what he wants on any given topic. Everybody does. We just pay more attention because he is a famous pitcher. He loves the spotlight, and this demonstrates that. Hey, it's that same quality that makes him an outstanding playoff performer.

Try writing a blog about how you really feel about your work and all your co-workers, see if your employer feels you are entitled to write on any topic you want.

I agree with you that my employer would not be too happy with for this, but as long as I don't say anything profane about my co-workers, I am allowed, by the First Amendment, to criticize anyone - a co-worker, an enemy, or even the President. I agree it doesn't make Schilling look like the best person or even likeable among other players, but I will defend his right to say these things. I might not be too popular at work, but no one can fire me for it; only criticize me.

I won't disagree with you but don't you have a problem with what a hypocrite he is?? He goes on and on about how many people are doing steroids but, in front of Congress, he turtled. Now, he's an expert again?? He is a B of D.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:09 pm

I can't believe you guys are criticizing someone who guys out every day and risks his life for the american people.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:I can't believe you guys are criticizing someone who guys out every day and risks his life for the american people.

shuddup... Schilling is a dbag.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:17 pm

I completely understand why people don't like Schilling (I happen to enjoy his interviews and opinions), but I don't understand the hypocrite charge against him regarding his testimony in front of Congress. He makes no bones about the fact that everything he says on the radio and his BLOG is his opinion. He didn't ask to speak in front of Congress, he was subpoenaed - and Congress was not interested in his opinions, they were looking for facts. He's said all along that he's never seen anyone inject steroids so he didn't have any facts to provide. But I'd say he has a pretty good viewpoint to have a good opinion of how prevalent steroid use is, and a BLOG or radio interview is the proper forum to provide opinions. I can understand why he is disliked, since he always looks for every chance to give his opinion, but I don't think he's a hypocrite - wouldn't he have to be a steroid user himself in order to be a hypocrite?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:I completely understand why people don't like Schilling (I happen to enjoy his interviews and opinions), but I don't understand the hypocrite charge against him regarding his testimony in front of Congress. He makes no bones about the fact that everything he says on the radio and his BLOG is his opinion. He didn't ask to speak in front of Congress, he was subpoenaed - and Congress was not interested in his opinions, they were looking for facts. He's said all along that he's never seen anyone inject steroids so he didn't have any facts to provide. But I'd say he has a pretty good viewpoint to have a good opinion of how prevalent steroid use is, and a BLOG or radio interview is the proper forum to provide opinions. I can understand why he is disliked, since he always looks for every chance to give his opinion, but I don't think he's a hypocrite - wouldn't he have to be a steroid user himself in order to be a hypocrite?

Wouldn't shock me if he used PEDs considering how many players have lied about it so far.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:49 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I can't believe you guys are criticizing someone who guys out every day and risks his life for the american people.

shuddup... Schilling is a dbag.

Benedict Arnold
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PerfectTen66 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:50 pm

I won't disagree with you but don't you have a problem with what a hypocrite he is?? He goes on and on about how many people are doing steroids but, in front of Congress, he turtled. Now, he's an expert again?? He is a B of D.[/quote]

Well, I did start off my original post with I don't agree with him on the subject. I don't agree with him, but what I did say in a response to others that I was defending his right to say something about Clemens in regard to steroids.

Also, I'd rather he turtle than pull a Rafy Palmeiro. He never claimed to be an expert. He's just stating an opinion on a website. He just wanted Roger to either be punished or fight vigorously against the accusations.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 pm

PerfectTen66 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
PerfectTen66 wrote:Even though I think Curt Schilling is wrong on this subject, I will not get on his case too much. I think he has the right to write/say what he wants on any given topic. Everybody does. We just pay more attention because he is a famous pitcher. He loves the spotlight, and this demonstrates that. Hey, it's that same quality that makes him an outstanding playoff performer.

Try writing a blog about how you really feel about your work and all your co-workers, see if your employer feels you are entitled to write on any topic you want.

I agree with you that my employer would not be too happy with for this, but as long as I don't say anything profane about my co-workers, I am allowed, by the First Amendment, to criticize anyone - a co-worker, an enemy, or even the President. I agree it doesn't make Schilling look like the best person or even likeable among other players, but I will defend his right to say these things. I might not be too popular at work, but no one can fire me for it; only criticize me.

In many lines of work they are absolutely entitled to fire you. As blogs become more and more a part of everyday society it is even becoming commonplace for specific wording to appear in orientation paperwork about how you are able to discuss your company online. Baseball players are allowed much more freedom because they work on guaranteed contracts, but they certainly face disciplinary action if the team or the league feels they have said/written things detrimental to the business.

This doesn't mean much in Schilling's case since it is obvious the league doesn't really care what any of the players are saying on the subject of PEDs. But if they wanted to they certainly have the power to step in and silent a loudmouth like Schilling.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby pjalst » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 pm

AussieDodger wrote:...He's not a prostitute like Canseco or others who are doing it for money...

Schilling is still in the limelight and making big $$$. When his fame fades he will be a far bigger prostitute than Conseco ever was. He's grooming himself for it already. When he's out of MLB and not under the restraints of a major league club's Media Policy, he's going to sing like Aretha Franklin. Schilling has the right to say whatever he wants and I have the right to think he's an @ss
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers