downgrade this sleeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

downgrade this sleeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

downgrade this sleeper

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am

For those thinking that Dukes might be able to get his act together in DC and emerge as a bona fide sleeper, think again:

Dukes accused of domestic violence
Posted: Tuesday December 18, 2007 05:54AM ET
A woman who says she dated new Nationals outfielder Elijah Dukes -- a player the Nationals brought to Washington this month with hopes he would stabilize a turbulent life -- filed a domestic violence charge against him last week, according to Florida court records. Amanda E. Reese, 23, was granted a temporary injunction for protection against domestic violence on Dec. 10, exactly a week after the Nationals acquired Dukes in a trade with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Reese is due in Hillsborough County court this morning, where she will seek extended protection stemming from incidents in which she says Dukes sent her threatening text messages in October and November.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: downgrade this sleeper

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:49 am

The case was dismissed. The woman did not show up to court.

Until something is proven, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:00 pm

dclark0699 wrote:The case was dismissed. The woman did not show up to court.

The case last year against Brett Myers was dropped too after his wife recanted her abuse claim against him, even though the beating too place in public and there were multiple witnesses. Victims of domestic violence rarely follow through in these cases... I'm much more inclined NOT to give him the benefit of the doubt, given his history. He's a bad apple.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:

The case last year against Brett Myers was dropped too after his wife recanted her abuse claim against him, even though the beating too place in public and there were multiple witnesses. Victims of domestic violence rarely follow through in these cases... I'm much more inclined NOT to give him the benefit of the doubt, given his history. He's a bad apple.

funny you should mention it because members of brett myers' wife family have said that it she is usually the one with the temper and has goten physical with him in the past. not that it makes his actions ok, but they obviously had problems, and went to therapy all year, so lets not just label any person as this terrible person, when you really dont know the full story.

ill give dukes the benefit of the doubt until he is found guilty or there is overwhelming proof against him.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby San D » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 pm

Right now I would downgrade him to deep, deep, deep sleeper due to anger issues similar to the above, and that he has Kearns, Wily Mo, Milledge, and possibly even da Meat Hook ahead of him on the depth chart.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:

funny you should mention it because members of brett myers' wife family have said that it she is usually the one with the temper and has goten physical with him in the past. not that it makes his actions ok, but they obviously had problems, and went to therapy all year, so lets not just label any person as this terrible person, when you really dont know the full story.

ill give dukes the benefit of the doubt until he is found guilty or there is overwhelming proof against him.

I agree with my slippery reptilian friend.

Dukes has a terrible rap and right now he is everyone's target. Getting out of TB was great for him as long as he can keep his nose clean, I think he will be fine. There is no doubt he has ridiculous upside as a baseball player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:31 am

gotta agree too, a change of scenery will hopefully be good for him. he's got a troubling (and troubled) history but he's young. besides, as much as i loathe the things of which he and myers have been alleged, they don't affect fantasy unless they land a guy in jail or make him so hard to deal with, no team wants to touch him. he's got tools one can't ignore, that's for sure. i'll be real curious to see how that washington outfield pans out come spring. i hope both the young guys get a shot, but with johnson coming back and the young possibly moving to the outfield, i don't know what's gonna happen. my guess is that dukes is the odd man out to start.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers