Mark Prior - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mark Prior

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:36 pm

I think the type of contract Prior signs will tell us quite a bit about how he feels. If he takes a 2-3 year deal with tons of incentives, you can bet he doesn't think he'll make it through the season healthy. If he takes a cheap 1-year deal, you can bet he feels confident enough to bank on a giant contract after a full year.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:06 pm

well the phils have come out and said they have little to no interest in prior, colon, or benson.... im alittle sad. id love to see them take the risk.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby baseballboy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:34 am

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I would have a hard time giving Prior a chance period. Yes, I know he's only 27 years old and his numbers are filthy when he's healthy but '03 (his 2nd yr in the league) was his only full season ever. He had 27 starts in '05 but still hit the DL that year. Maybe I'm wrong but he just comes across as a phenomenal talent that will never be healthy. Would I like a healthy Prior? Of course I would - his stuff comes along about 3 times in a lifetime (Koufax comes to mind here). I guess the better question is, "Is this highly injury prone arm worth the risk?" It's hard to say. One thing I can say without flinching - Mark Prior IS the ultimate HIGH risk/HIGH reward pitcher of the times.
Last edited by baseballboy on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 am

baseballboy wrote:- Make Prior IS the ultimate HIGH risk/HIGH reward pitcher of the times.

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this statement? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseballboy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:45 am

Yoda wrote:
baseballboy wrote:- Make Prior IS the ultimate HIGH risk/HIGH reward pitcher of the times.

EDIT: Make = Mark ;-D
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am

Yoda wrote:

that depends how you define 'IS' :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1632)

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:13 pm

baseballboy wrote:
Yoda wrote:

EDIT: Make = Mark ;-D

That wasn't the point. How can you say something with such conviction without any evidence?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kellythemick » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Yoda wrote:That wasn't the point. How can you say something with such conviction without any evidence?

Hmm?
Year/ ERA / IP / SO's
2002 = 3.32 - 116 - 147
2003 = 2.43 - 211.1 - 245
2004 = 4.02 - 118 - 139
2005 = 3.67 - 166.2 - 188
2006 = 7.21 - 43.2 - 38
2007 = Injury - Injury - Injury
Injuries impacted numbers in 2004 and 2006. So when he pitches (2002, 2003, 2005) he has good to great ERA's and great SO/IP ratio. This isn't evidence of a player who epitomizes high risk - high reward? Or are you saying the sample data is too small to be indicative of HR/HR?
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby hot4tx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 pm

I think he's just saying that Prior, if completely healthy, can put up elite #1 SP stats, which is an upside that very, very few pitchers drafted near him will likely have. He could also put up a big sack of nothing, and play just enough games to keep you hanging on to him all season long.

I think Harden may fall into that category this year. With another year of burning owners, I think he'll slip even lower in drafts this year.

Maybe one of these guys will slip low enough that I'll end up taking a chance on him in 2008. Probably not, but there is a chance I'll pay a teens pick for tons of upside.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby baseballboy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:06 pm

kellythemick wrote:
Yoda wrote:That wasn't the point. How can you say something with such conviction without any evidence?

Hmm?
Year/ ERA / IP / SO's
2002 = 3.32 - 116 - 147
2003 = 2.43 - 211.1 - 245
2004 = 4.02 - 118 - 139
2005 = 3.67 - 166.2 - 188
2006 = 7.21 - 43.2 - 38
2007 = Injury - Injury - Injury
Injuries impacted numbers in 2004 and 2006. So when he pitches (2002, 2003, 2005) he has good to great ERA's and great SO/IP ratio. This isn't evidence of a player who epitomizes high risk - high reward? Or are you saying the sample data is too small to be indicative of HR/HR?

I feel the sample data of 6 years is sufficient enough evidence to bring this observation regarding Prior sitting on the throne of HR/HR to the discussion table.

hot4tx wrote:I think he's just saying that Prior, if completely healthy, can put up elite #1 SP stats, which is an upside that very, very few pitchers drafted near him will likely have. He could also put up a big sack of nothing, and play just enough games to keep you hanging on to him all season long.

I think Harden may fall into that category this year. With another year of burning owners, I think he'll slip even lower in drafts this year.

Maybe one of these guys will slip low enough that I'll end up taking a chance on him in 2008. Probably not, but there is a chance I'll pay a teens pick for tons of upside.

As far as bidding on Prior (or Harden), a low teen bid for either is reasonable for these arms that can bolster your pitching staff or kill your fantasy $ budget. My determination to pull the trigger on these guys will be based on what my team/pitching staff looks like, what my budget is when their names are called, and what my gut feeling is at the time.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers