Mark Prior - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mark Prior

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 am

I don't think Prior will even be ready until partway through the year. I believe that the Cubs wanted to sign him for 2 years but Prior didn't like that. I really think he's a good gamble for someone, but maybe a one year deal won't work. I'm not in the know enough about his situation to really have any idea what his plan is.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Actually, I don't think this would be a terrible move for Houston. They definitely need rotation help, but dumping 40+ million into guys like Carlos Silva or Kyle Lohse would not be the solution. Those guys are no better than the Wandy Rodriguez/Woody Williams types they already have. But Prior could be a very legit #2 SP if he could ever make it through a season healthy. Of course, therein lies the gamble, but if it's a one year deal, it's really not that big of a gamble. It's like how I felt about the Gagne deal for Milwaukee -- yeah it's 10 million dollars, but it's only one year -- if he doesn't cut it, oh well, he's gone after the year. If he's successful, he's a big boost to your team and your playoff hopes. For teams without good rotations (Houston, Washington, amongst a few others), it might be worth a gamble.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:But Prior could be a very legit #2 SP if he could ever make it through a season healthy.

He could. The problem is the guy just can't stay healthy. I don't know what percentage of his problems are mechanical or are just bad luck (base path collision/comebacker to the elbow), but the guy just has not been able to string together consecutive seasons of health. Heck, he hasn't been able to string together consecutive months of health lately.

As much as I like the guy, and as much as I had a man-crush on his right arm, I'm not terribly sad to see the Cubs end ties with Prior. It's just been such an ugly relationship that maybe it's for the best that it ends this way.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:56 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Actually, I don't think this would be a terrible move for Houston. They definitely need rotation help, but dumping 40+ million into guys like Carlos Silva or Kyle Lohse would not be the solution. Those guys are no better than the Wandy Rodriguez/Woody Williams types they already have. But Prior could be a very legit #2 SP if he could ever make it through a season healthy. Of course, therein lies the gamble, but if it's a one year deal, it's really not that big of a gamble. It's like how I felt about the Gagne deal for Milwaukee -- yeah it's 10 million dollars, but it's only one year -- if he doesn't cut it, oh well, he's gone after the year. If he's successful, he's a big boost to your team and your playoff hopes. For teams without good rotations (Houston, Washington, amongst a few others), it might be worth a gamble.

You forgot the Cardinals. You know... That team that's great at taking other teams' castaways and getting something from them. The same team that refuses to admit they're in a rebuilding phase and has announced that they will be looking to expand payroll.

To me, Prior and the Cards are a perfect fit assuming the Cards think his injuries are from poor mechanics.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:06 pm

StlSluggers wrote:assuming the Cards think his injuries are from poor mechanics.

That would be a real shock to me. Based on my personal experience, he has the smoothest and least effort delivery. Also when he was the next big thing, all people talked about how great his mechanics were. I'm not saying his injuries didn't result from poor mechanics but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:17 pm

Yoda wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:assuming the Cards think his injuries are from poor mechanics.

That would be a real shock to me. Based on my personal experience, he has the smoothest and least effort delivery. Also when he was the next big thing, all people talked about how great his mechanics were. I'm not saying his injuries didn't result from poor mechanics but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

Then I retract my comments about Prior and the Cards. ;-) :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 pm

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Bas ... anics.html

Prior's mechanics critiqued by Chris O'Leary.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:44 pm

His asking price should be a lot lower if he's just using the team he signs with as an audition for other teams. The audition won't even be to see if he's still an ace but to see if he can stay healthy. He should feel lucky some team will allow him to do that especially if they aren't even getting a full year.

The only advantage a team would have by signing him is to be able to negotiate on a long term contract...but it's Mark Prior, why would anyone do that? I don't see any benefit of putting up 10 million dollars for Prior.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:54 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

Prior's mechanics critiqued by Chris O'Leary.

Interesting... I saw this one from HTH:
link

This guy is saying that he altered his mechanics over the years and that he should be pitching more like he did prior to 04. In any case, Prior's current mechanics seems to be an issue. To me, he always looked so smooth and effortless up there that it seemed like mechanics wouldn't be the cause of the problem.

What I do think is a huge contributing factor is his sharp increase in workload:
00-129
01-138
02-167.2
03-211.1 (plus playoffs)

He was injured in 04 on that collusion with Marcus Giles and never fully recovered to his previous form (interestingly enough, neither did Giles). I do hope that he recovers well enough to be relevant again as he is one of my all time favorite pitchers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm

prior's mechanics were always talked about as being the best and most smooth anyone had ever seen. then he had that collision with marcus giles and had a minor shoulder issue. ever since then, hes just gone downhill, maybe compensating for the injured shoulder.

2-5 million dollars? why not guarentee him 12-15 mill a season if he can pitch 200 ip with an era under 4.00? im pretty sure it would be AWESOME value. why not give him a 3 yr contract, 3 mil base salary and upwards up 10 mil in bonuses for whenever he gets over 200 ip? seems to make sense to me, but im obviously missing something if no one is doing it. X-I

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers