PETE ROSE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PETE ROSE

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:10 am

Can he ever just shut up?? :-t

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3160548

Rose on Mitchell report: Steroids users 'making a mockery' of baseball

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Pete Rose thinks players who use steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are "making a mockery" of baseball.

The career hits leader, banned by the sport for gambling, weighed in on the Mitchell report in an interview with Dennis Miller that was slated to air Wednesday night on VERSUS.

Roger Clemens, Miguel Tejada and Andy Pettitte were among the big stars implicated in last week's report by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.

Clemens denied the allegations. Pettitte acknowledged last weekend that he used human growth hormone twice while rehabbing from an injury in 2002.

"I never thought anybody would make me look like an altar boy," Rose said.

"I've been suspended 18 years for betting on my own team to win," he added. "I was wrong ... but these guys today, if the allegations are true, they're making a mockery of the game."

Rose was banished from baseball for life in 1989 for betting on games while he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds, his former team. He denied the gambling allegations until 2004, when he came clean in his autobiography. He is not eligible for the Hall of Fame.

"If you're going to put these guys that supposedly did steroids into the Hall of Fame, I mean I've got to get a shot somewhere," he said.

Rose finished with 4,256 hits, breaking Ty Cobb's career record.

And if steroids were prevalent in his day?

"I would have got 5,000 hits," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PETE ROSE

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 am

My exacts thoughts when I read this article earlier tonight: "If he just keeps his damn mouth shut, eventually he'll get into the hall. At this right, it will never happen."
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:21 am

I'm betting that Rose never gets into the HOF. No pun intended. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:24 am

I'll bet ya that he does get in. He deserves to be in.

Is this thread gonna revert back to this old discussion?

He is stupid in this article, and just needs to shut his trap and go sign another 10000 baseballs for $50 a pop.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:30 am

BigLebowski wrote:I'll bet ya that he does get in. He deserves to be in.

Is this thread gonna revert back to this old discussion?

He is stupid in this article, and just needs to shut his trap and go sign another 10000 baseballs for $50 a pop.

I don't see how he is going to get in. He admitted to betting on baseball. If Shoeless Jackson isn't in yet then Rose isn't getting in.

However, I do believe that he should get in based on his achievements as a player. His betting obviously came after his playing days so I think he deserves to be in.

The only problem I have with him is that he is such a scumbag. He only wants to be in it for the money.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 am

Rose broke the #1 rule in bb, betting on the game. Roids are apples and oranges. Every clubhouse has a sign forbidding betting. He is in no place to throw stones.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RyanK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:33 am

same..

the double standard here is so sickening... im all for Pete Rose being the biggest ass he can be right now, he deserves to be in the hall of fame for every reason, IMO, the hall stands for. Pete Rose's actions of betting on his team to win, i see as nothing that should punish what he did as a player. the only thing that would discredit waht i just said in my mind, is if theres evidence of him betting against his team and in effect playing worse or not playing to his full abilty in order to benifit himself monetarily.

If you were Pete Rose, kept out of the hall for betting on your own team to win; actually better yet, banned for life, and players are shattering records/playing longer/earning more/etc because of illegal performance enhancing drugs (yes, the rules where lax/basically nothing/no drug testing, but now you got caught, pay the piper) and looking at still having hall of fame chances for some of them. Wouldnt that make you slightly upset?

If i were in Roses disposition i would make a huge stir over this to get into the hall, either let me in or keep them out... the easiest thing for Bud to do would be to just let him in... though if he really wants to do what he should, as much as it sucks to say, uproot baseball and ban players/erase records/stats.. or implement a year long suspension and monitored drug tests monthly to be allowed back in... basically... this is/can/will be a horrible situation for baseball.

just let the sport be pure again... please
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:14 am

I've always been in favor of Rose getting in the HOF posthumously.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 am

RyanK wrote:

same..

the double standard here is so sickening... im all for Pete Rose being the biggest ass he can be right now, he deserves to be in the hall of fame for every reason, IMO, the hall stands for. Pete Rose's actions of betting on his team to win, i see as nothing that should punish what he did as a player. the only thing that would discredit waht i just said in my mind, is if theres evidence of him betting against his team and in effect playing worse or not playing to his full abilty in order to benifit himself monetarily.

If you were Pete Rose, kept out of the hall for betting on your own team to win; actually better yet, banned for life, and players are shattering records/playing longer/earning more/etc because of illegal performance enhancing drugs (yes, the rules where lax/basically nothing/no drug testing, but now you got caught, pay the piper) and looking at still having hall of fame chances for some of them. Wouldnt that make you slightly upset?

If i were in Roses disposition i would make a huge stir over this to get into the hall, either let me in or keep them out... the easiest thing for Bud to do would be to just let him in... though if he really wants to do what he should, as much as it sucks to say, uproot baseball and ban players/erase records/stats.. or implement a year long suspension and monitored drug tests monthly to be allowed back in... basically... this is/can/will be a horrible situation for baseball.

just let the sport be pure again... please

I have so many issues with what you wrote that I hope that I don't miss any.

Pete Rose's actions of betting on his team to win, i see as nothing that should punish what he did as a player. the only thing that would discredit waht i just said in my mind, is if theres evidence of him betting against his team and in effect playing worse or not playing to his full abilty in order to benifit himself monetarily.

I don't buy that for a second. He has stated that he only bet on his team to win. How many years after the fact did he admit to that?? Do you really think that he is now being 100% truthful?? I am very skeptical. Just like I am skeptical when the Pettittes and Roberts of the world say that they only did HGH once or twice. Really?? I'm not so sure. Anyone with enough of a gambling problem to ignore the sign that they see on a daily basis is certainly in a state of mind to bet on or against your team on occasion. I am also of the belief that he is just as much to blame, or really close to it, for betting on his team. Even to win. Do you really think that he made objective managerial decisions regarding his team when he had $$ on them?? Don't you think that he might have left Rijo in longer than usual if he had a potential financial gain?? I do and he risked serious injury to his players in doing so.

Pete Rose agreed to a lifetime ban. Unfortunately, his ego is/was too large to realize that lifetime=lifetime.

How, exactly, does Rose have a leg to stand on here?? He has no leverage. Selig would swat him away like a fly, much like has been done in the past.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RyanK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:29 am

Lo, im a lil drunk right now to give you a good response, and dont know enough about the whole Pete Rose fiasco, so take what I said with a grain of salt. Ive been meaning to read his book. Ill look into it more and back up my thoughts, hopefully tonight if i dont pass out.

on a side note, i really feel high schools or at least colleges should offer sports history classes. Sports are a huge part of american culture...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers