Clemens = Liar Liar Pants On Fire? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens = Liar Liar Pants On Fire?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Did Roger Clemens Lie About Taking Steroids Today?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:37 pm

Absolutely no doubt about it - YES!
72%
Maybe
5%
No , he is an honest man
3%
I like pop tarts :-S
19%

Total votes : 58

Re: Clemens = Liar Liar Pants On Fire?

Postby OREO fan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:There are millions of people all over the world under far more dangerous conditions for way less money, but nobody seems to care about them. The way I see it, if someone doesn't want to use PEDs because they don't want to risk their health, and without them they can't make it, then they should probably pursue another career path. I've had very dangerous jobs before, and nobody seemed to care, but if baseball players have to put their health at risk, then it's a huge problem? It should be viewed as a risk associated with the job, if you can't cut it without PEDs, and you're unwilling to take them, find a new line of work.

Wow, I hate this argument. By that logic, why have any laws at all? It should be a world where it is kill or be killed. If I don't like it that someone got promoted over me, I should just take him out. If he isn't willing to do the same because of some ethical problem with it, then too bad for him. Does this sound like a society you want to be a part of? Governance is not a bad thing. They have rules against PEDs. It is not an inherent risk of the job, and should not have to be considered when making a career choice.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Killing your co-worker, and risking your own health to be better than him aren't the same. I would never advocate for a player to injure someone starting over him. If, however, that player decides that his career is more important than his health, then by all means, he should be able to trade future health for immediate success.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby OREO fan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Killing your co-worker, and risking your own health to be better than him aren't the same. I would never advocate for a player to injure someone starting over him. If, however, that player decides that his career is more important than his health, then by all means, he should be able to trade future health for immediate success.

Fair enough. It was a poor analogy. But that point aside, I still disagree that this risk should be an inherent risk of a baseball player's job. However, I have seen enough of your posts to know where you stand. The only thing I will say is that just because some people would choose to endanger themselves doesn't mean that they should be allowed to. The adverse effect on the rest of society (in this case the other players) is too great to give this freedom. This does not even get into the ethical dilemma of sportsmanship.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Killing your co-worker, and risking your own health to be better than him aren't the same. I would never advocate for a player to injure someone starting over him. If, however, that player decides that his career is more important than his health, then by all means, he should be able to trade future health for immediate success.

I understand and appreciate your opinion on this and I agree with it to a certain extent. That said, if a player takes PED's to further his career, he is breaking the law. I'm sure that you feel that the law is bogus but it is a law.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:38 am

Lofunzo wrote:

I understand and appreciate your opinion on this and I agree with it to a certain extent. That said, if a player takes PED's to further his career, he is breaking the law. I'm sure that you feel that the law is bogus but it is a law.

You're right, I do think the law is bogus. However, I still think that players who break it should be subject to the same punishment as anyone else.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:You're right, I do think the law is bogus. However, I still think that players who break it should be subject to the same punishment as anyone else.

Dear Lord, I agree with Art. X-I

Ahh... Everything's right with the world again. B-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

You're right, I do think the law is bogus. However, I still think that players who break it should be subject to the same punishment as anyone else.

What is the standard punishment??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:38 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:You're right, I do think the law is bogus. However, I still think that players who break it should be subject to the same punishment as anyone else.

Dear Lord, I agree with Art. X-I

Ahh... Everything's right with the world again. B-)

That is the best photo ever.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Yoda wrote:That is the best photo ever.

Watch it... Comments like that will start to tip the cosmic balance again.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:44 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Yoda wrote:That is the best photo ever.

Watch it... Comments like that will start to tip the cosmic balance again.

That photo would be even better if there was a flame on his leading paw.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers