*2000 World Champs: NYY* and the fate of the sport. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

*2000 World Champs: NYY* and the fate of the sport.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: *2000 World Champs: NYY* and the fate of the sport.

Postby gws226 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42 pm

thedude wrote:

I should have said Radomski and McNamee were New York guys. It is a proximity thing. Just like when they busted Balco there mostly Giants and A's implicated. If they bust a trainer in Gold's Gym in Boston, then there will be Red Sox (probably guys from 2004 and 2007) implicated. If the feds bust a drug lab in fort wayne guys from the astros and Rangers might get caught.

True, thats what makes this a great case to compare.... It was the Mets vs Yankees... Not the Yanks vs Mariners... Same time, same place.

This isn't about who took steriods and who didn't.. I don't blame them for doing it. If juicing up was the difference between me making the min wage bagging groceries or making the minimun wage in the MLB Id do it. If it was the difference between me 5Million a year and 12 million a year... I'd do it.

MLB practically begged these guys to take them, everyone made money, and now I think its a shame that players careers are being called in question BEFORE MLB had any language what-so-ever that it against policy to do so.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LiveForever » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:53 pm

Old_Style wrote:Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single season home run record in a 162 game season, while Ruth only had a 150 games season to work with. Asterisk?

Actually originally there was an astrick next to this record. Then I remember the commish at the time said it was the biggest mistake of his tenure.

* don't solve problems, they only create new ones.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:54 pm

gws226 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:If you think that the Yankees were the only team to ever have juicers, then you are very naive. If you think that the Mitchell Report named all or even half of the people to have used PEDs, then you are even more naive.

The Mitchell report failed to mention many players that are considered "common knowledge" for the sake of argument I ommitted any names that have come from sources other then the mitchell report.

It can't all be taken as fact of course, but implying that Ramoski and McNaee have no loyalty to any side, (Mets players LoDuca, Vaughn, and Huntley are all in the report) and their is no geographical distance between the teams other then a couple of subway transfers, The 2000 World Series would be one of the best examples to compare.

As a Met fan I personally don't really care, but as a history buff, I find it interesting that this a great case of where the history books are probably not correctly written.

All that proves is that more people from the Yankees used Radmonski and McNaee than the Mets. You can't conclude that more people from the Yankees used steroids than the Mets, or that it had a factor in the outcome of the series. On top of all of that, as has been said, steroids were widespread all throughout the 90's and this decade and you can keep playing the asterisk game throughout the history of the game.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:22 am

It was one team full of steroid users agaisnt another team full of steroid users in a league that didn't have a drug policy. And yet you think there should be an asterisk on their World Series title? Incredible.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tavish » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 am

LiveForever wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single season home run record in a 162 game season, while Ruth only had a 150 games season to work with. Asterisk?

Actually originally there was an astrick next to this record. Then I remember the commish at the time said it was the biggest mistake of his tenure.

* don't solve problems, they only create new ones.

That is a baseball myth. There never has been and never will be an asterisk in the baseball record books. People might look at certain records as more legitimate than others but there will never be an asterisk in the books.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby SignGuy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 am

gws226 wrote:I think its hard to put Astericks on records, and championships but based purely on the mitchell report, I'd have to say if there ever was a case to put an asterick on a record/event... My vote would go to the 2000 Yankees World title.

There were 8 players on the roster that are directly mentioned in the Mitchell report.
1. Clemens
2. Pettite
3. David Justice
4. Jose Canseco
5. Chuck Knoublach
6. Denny Neagle
7. Mike Stanton
8. Jason Grimsley

For the sake of history, the players in the report contributed....
3 Wins: Game 1,2,5
28.1 Innings, 7R, 5ER

Game 1: Difference Maker: Knoblauch scores tying run in bottom of the ninth
Game 2: Difference Maker: David Justice scores on Jeter single in 5th (mets go on to score 5 in bottom of the ninth, but come up one run short) lose 6-5
Game 4: Difference Maker: With 2 on and 1 out in the 8th, Stanton comes on and strikes out both Trammel and Harris to end the threat.

General contributions:

Game 1: NYY 4 NYM 3
Justice: 1/4 2RBI
Knoblouch: 1/4 1RBI

Petitte: 6.2 Innings: 3 Runs
Staton: 1W, 1 inning 0 runs

Game 2: NYY 6 NYM 5
Clemens: 1 Win, 8innings, 0 runs, 9K

Game 3 NYM 4, NYY 2

Game 4 NYY 3, NYM 2
Neagle: 4.2 Innings, 2ER
With 2 on, and 1 Out Stanton comes on and strikes out the side

Game 5- NYY 4 NYM 2
Petitte 7IP 2R 0ER
Stanton: Win 1IP

Im a die hard mets fan but i still have aproblem with this. The guys who matter like Jeter, Bernie, O'neil, Mariano, Brossious, Posada, Tino and others werent on the report. And just because prominent Mets werent on the report doeant mean any of them didnt use PED's. and fwiw Pettite admitted to using HGH only in 2002. If you want to blame anyone for the Mets loss blame Benitez and Timo Perez who forgot how to run the bases. We had Game 1 in the bag
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 am

This is retarded, but I'll humor you anyway. You first have to take Pettitte off your list considering he didn't do anything until 2002.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:04 am

gws226 wrote:Game 4 NYY 3, NYM 2
Neagle: 4.2 Innings, 2ER
With 2 on, and 1 Out Stanton comes on and strikes out the side

:-? :-?

How do you strike out the side with 1 out already? Must be the steroids ;-7
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Broncmet724 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:10 am

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that steroids have been around baseball since the 1910-1920s. George Sisler, if I remember right, used to take shots of monkey testosterone, among others. I read that was a big thing back then. Oh gosh, more asterisks.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:44 am

gws226 wrote:
As a Met fan I personally don't really care, but as a history buff, I find it interesting that this a great case of where the history books are probably not correctly written.

Are you kidding me? This thread has got to be a joke.

The history books aren't correctly written? How in the hell do you know that the Mets were clean? How do you know Piazza wasn't on the juice? Or Ventura or Zeile or friggen' Timo Perez for that matter?

Pettitte was only mentioned as using HGH once in 2002, so that shows how much you actually read the report. And I'm glad you found it appropriate to cite guys like Canseco and Grimsley on your list, who had no impact on the team that year.

Seriously, I'm repulsed by this thread. :-P
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers