I Am Legend - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I Am Legend

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Am Legend

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:I didn't like the movie at all. I felt that the end was way too rushed, with all the deus ex machina like plot devices and all. If the end was more dystopian, I would have felt like the movie was more complete, and the movie would actually have a message.

As I left the theatre, I actually asked myself, "What was the point of that?" As in what is the greater message of the movie? The book had the whole, man turns into vampire legend thing going for it, but this movie didn't really have that in its completely way too convenient ending.

Deus ex machina? Dystopian?? :-S

All I know is that the "point" was that he became a legend by martyring himself to save the next generation of humanity. It seemed fairly obvious to me, and I have to say, they didn't do half bad coming up with an alternate play on the title.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:04 am

How the hell could he have tripped in his own snare? The trap had already been set, he couldn't have tripped it again.

And of course the bad guys had intelligence. That was abundantly clear in numerous instances.

The guy was mad that Neville took his woman. He went out out of sheer infuriation - not idiocy as Neville assumed.

Then out of revenge, the guy took one of the dummies and reset the trap - it was obvious that he had the dogs at the ready since they knew he was trapped.

When the tracked him down that night, instead of attacking him at the time, the scout crew went back to get reinforecements and to attack in waves.

There were numerous signs of intelligence, whether the infallible IMDB, or even the script, explicitly spelled it out.

And saying "his trap" doesn't mean it was the trap that he originally set, but could mean the trap he originally designed
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:33 am

I think I agree with most of you; I enjoyed the movie but found the last act shallow and unsatisfying. Not that I wouldn't recommend it; it is typical Hollywood stuff here and the good guy has to win. They really went straight for the bonehead audience's heartstrings too; but, lets me honest. These days, if they try to make a profound social commentary work, the film just won't be well-received. People want good guys, bad guys, stuff to blow up and a satisfying conclusion. This film had all of those things. I really, really, really wish they had delved into the "vampire society" or the humility of the infected as the novel did, but you just can't squeeze that into a holiday-season blockbuster and keep it under an audience-friendly 2 hours.

And yes, that last part was an excellent example of deus ex machina, but it wasn't nearly as dystopian and depressing as, say, Children of Men.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:26 am

The movie was decent, it entertained me throughout (which really is the main goal of any movie, I think), and I especially liked the opening scenes in an abondoned New York City. If they spent more time getting into how Neville lost his mind and his general attitude towards the infected, it probably would have been better time spent than bringing in those 2 characters out of nowhere that I never ended up caring about. As for the ending, I had no problem with it. It was kind of unrealistic and "too good to be true" maybe, but that happens sometimes. I'm surprised it's made so much money (even more than the final LOTR movie which was very good), but Will Smith must be a big draw for most demographics.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:29 am

Amazinz wrote:However, according to IMDB, this is not so in the script. Neville is so crazed at this point, according to the script, that he forgets his own trap and falls into it. :-S

Yeah, I considered it was just another sign of him losing his mind (forgetting about his own trap).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:43 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:I didn't like the movie at all. I felt that the end was way too rushed, with all the deus ex machina like plot devices and all. If the end was more dystopian, I would have felt like the movie was more complete, and the movie would actually have a message.

As I left the theatre, I actually asked myself, "What was the point of that?" As in what is the greater message of the movie? The book had the whole, man turns into vampire legend thing going for it, but this movie didn't really have that in its completely way too convenient ending.

Yeah, with the watering down of the plot, this movie really became no different than Dawn of the Dead or 28 days later. It was basically 28 days later crossed with Castaway. A man is trapped, alone, on an island (Manhattan vs. a tropic island), battling infected cannibals (vampires vs. zombies), with one non-human friend (a dog vs. a beach ball), and no hope of escape.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:31 am

JTWood wrote:

Deus ex machina? Dystopian?? :-S

All I know is that the "point" was that he became a legend by martyring himself to save the next generation of humanity. It seemed fairly obvious to me, and I have to say, they didn't do half bad coming up with an alternate play on the title.

Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the movie could have done so much more with what it had already laid out plot wise than the somewhat complacent ending presented. The way I see it, the screenwriters just kind of patched together the whole butterfly thing rather haphazardly attempting to show Neville change.

On the other hand, if humanity did not have a chance, and the movie ended this way, the movie would then have made a greater point about the dangers of technology or something or other, which would have made it make more cohesive sense. (Even though it would be more depressing)
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby JTWood » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:49 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the movie could have done so much more with what it had already laid out plot wise than the somewhat complacent ending presented.

Absolutely, but that's really not surprising given Hollywood's track history.

For the "humanity did not have a chance" plot, I think you have to socialize the infected like Matheson did. By socializing the infected, you're forcing the audience into the uncomfortable situation of having to decide if one man to whom they can relate is more important than a new society that still maintains order and rule even if it's under a different set of rules than what the audience believes in.

That's either a 3-hour movie or a sequel, imo. I can't imagine producers liking either of those options.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:54 am

I forgot to say that I think reading the book actually brought down my appreciation for the movie not because the movie was strictly worse, but because the screenplay walked a line between being a remake of the old novel and being a completely new version of the story. If I hadn't read the book, I would never have recognized that.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:10 pm

I think that first script would have been a better movie. Not sure. I have trouble visualizing a script as a movie so I guess I'd never make it as a director. I like the way that the seekers were super-intelligent and the fact that Johnny Depp was cast as Mathias before the role became non-speaking. I think that would have been pretty good. Anway, hope everyone enjoys their day. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk