I Am Legend - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I Am Legend

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Am Legend

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:47 pm

thedude wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:How come every night he boards up the windows, leaving his house in pitch black, yet every morning you can see the sun shining in to his house?

That really annoyed me. Also the first night of the movie, Will Smith and his dog go to sleep fully clothed in the tub, clutching a gun. Why? Every other scene in the movie he sleeps in his own bed...

Yeah, I noticed that stuff, too, but I shrugged it off.

Having read the book a couple of weeks ago and then seeing the movie tonight, I have to say that the movie was better.

I liked his character development, the scene with the dog was so much better than the book, as was the ending.

Granted, how the lady just showed up like that was weird, but I actually thought on the way home that they did that to toy with those of us who read the book and new how it ended.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brewcrew4you » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:41 am

thedude wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:How come every night he boards up the windows, leaving his house in pitch black, yet every morning you can see the sun shining in to his house?

That really annoyed me. Also the first night of the movie, Will Smith and his dog go to sleep fully clothed in the tub, clutching a gun. Why? Every other scene in the movie he sleeps in his own bed...

I interpreted it this way:
1. Night falls, he goes to semi/sleep in the tub.
2. Dawn is here, he moves into his bed, opens steel covers
3. Alarm on watch goes off, wakes up for good.

OR

He just spent part of that one night in the tub as he was feeling scared or something.

Not having read the book, but knowing the plot of the book, I still really enjoyed the movie. I thought Smith did an excellent job of carrying the movie pretty much by himself. My only issue was with the intelligence of the KV infected: it was clear that they were at least somewhat sentient - they set a trap and used attack dogs. I wish that they would have explored that aspect a little more.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:09 am

brewcrew4you wrote:My only issue was with the intelligence of the KV infected: it was clear that they were at least somewhat sentient - they set a trap and used attack dogs. I wish that they would have explored that aspect a little more.

Dammit! I thought of that this morning, but you beat me to it.

Another traditional spoiler alert...

The only thing I can think is that they were going to follow the book and then changed their minds for some reason. I mean, that trap was set for him. They used his same, sophisticated fulcrum system. They used a dummy that he talked to every day. They even had dogs ready to fight off his dog.

And was it just me, or was the creature that stuck its head into the light the same one hunting Neville and leading the attack on him at the end? I got the distinct impression that it was after Neville because he kidnapped its wife. Assuming that's right, that's yet another example of something like the book (Neville becoming their "vampire") but left untouched. The even had him say, "Social deevolution appears complete." Obviously, they were thinking of something about the social aspects of the infected; the most key aspect of the book's plot.

I heard that they reshot the ending. After thinking it over, I believe they reshot more than just the ending. If you follow the movie up until Anna shows up, you're in line with the book. I think they were going to go with a book-style story and changed their mind later at some point, rewriting everything from the pier scene until the ending. That's why some of the stuff doesn't make sense. Anna showing up out of the blue is much more aligned with the book than with the explanations they provided later in the movie.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:07 pm

JTWood wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:My only issue was with the intelligence of the KV infected: it was clear that they were at least somewhat sentient - they set a trap and used attack dogs. I wish that they would have explored that aspect a little more.

Dammit! I thought of that this morning, but you beat me to it.

Another traditional spoiler alert...

The only thing I can think is that they were going to follow the book and then changed their minds for some reason. I mean, that trap was set for him. They used his same, sophisticated fulcrum system. They used a dummy that he talked to every day. They even had dogs ready to fight off his dog.

And was it just me, or was the creature that stuck its head into the light the same one hunting Neville and leading the attack on him at the end? I got the distinct impression that it was after Neville because he kidnapped its wife. Assuming that's right, that's yet another example of something like the book (Neville becoming their "vampire") but left untouched. The even had him say, "Social deevolution appears complete." Obviously, they were thinking of something about the social aspects of the infected; the most key aspect of the book's plot.

I heard that they reshot the ending. After thinking it over, I believe they reshot more than just the ending. If you follow the movie up until Anna shows up, you're in line with the book. I think they were going to go with a book-style story and changed their mind later at some point, rewriting everything from the pier scene until the ending. That's why some of the stuff doesn't make sense. Anna showing up out of the blue is much more aligned with the book than with the explanations they provided later in the movie.

That is what it felt like to me too. What i guess happened, just going on what i hear about how studios operate, they took the original screen play that followed the plot of the book, started shooting, and then got a rewrite during shooting. That is why all of the stuff about Anna being disgusted at all of the Vampires he killed, fits in nicely with the book plot.

The movie as a stand alone piece of art was good, the movie from when Anna shows up until the very end, feels kinda off.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:25 pm

The society of the infected and their human intelligence seems like a morsel thrown in there for people familiar with the book or Omega Man. If you knew nothing else of the story that aspect would be pretty unclear. Here's another kicker... To people familiar with the story it seems fairly obvious that the trap is created by the Family after witnessing Neville's trap. However, according to IMDB, this is not so in the script. Neville is so crazed at this point, according to the script, that he forgets his own trap and falls into it. :-S
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:The society of the infected and their human intelligence seems like a morsel thrown in there for people familiar with the book or Omega Man. If you knew nothing else of the story that aspect would be pretty unclear. Here's another kicker... To people familiar with the story it seems fairly obvious that the trap is created by the Family after witnessing Neville's trap. However, according to IMDB, this is not so in the script. Neville is so crazed at this point, according to the script, that he forgets his own trap and falls into it. :-S

Not according to the FAQ section of IMDB.

Also:

[

:-b At least someone agrees with me.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:35 pm

The FAQ is user-created. If I had written the FAQ, I would have wrote the same thing before seeing the script. The wording in the script is: Neville has stepped into the snare of his own trap! You can Google the original screenplay by Protosevich and look yourself if you don't believe me. Admittedly, the original script is quite a bit different than the finished product but I couldn't find the final script that was updated by Goldman.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:The FAQ is user-created. If I had written the FAQ, I would have wrote the same thing before seeing the script. The wording in the script is: Neville has stepped into the snare of his own trap! You can Google the original screenplay by Protosevich and look yourself if you don't believe me. Admittedly, the original script is quite a bit different than the finished product but I couldn't find the final script that was updated by Goldman.

I believe you. I also just skimmed through the script... it is always interesting comparing first drafts to the final movie.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Amazinz wrote:However, according to IMDB, this is not so in the script. Neville is so crazed at this point, according to the script, that he forgets his own trap and falls into it. :-S

Wow... They did a really poor job of making that clear. :-P
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:26 pm

I didn't like the movie at all. I felt that the end was way too rushed, with all the deus ex machina like plot devices and all. If the end was more dystopian, I would have felt like the movie was more complete, and the movie would actually have a message.

As I left the theatre, I actually asked myself, "What was the point of that?" As in what is the greater message of the movie? The book had the whole, man turns into vampire legend thing going for it, but this movie didn't really have that in its completely way too convenient ending.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk