Barfield or Bust - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barfield or Bust

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barfield or Bust

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm

I was curious what people thought about the Josh Barfield and Asdrubal Cabrera situation in Cleveland. Barfield was dealt for Kouzmanoff and seen as the longtime and cheap fixture at 2B with a ton of potential. He answered those expectations with a very lackluster performance in 2007. Cabrera, a steal from the Mariners, stepped up and suplanted Barfield for the starting 2B job and even grew in the batter order to hit 2nd. I am curious what the Indians are going to do. Obviously, they don't want to have another Brandon Phillips, who they basically gave away, escape their grasp and become a 30/30 guy in Cincinnati, because that is Barfield's potential. But it seems like a waste to have him sit the bench in Cleveland with his trade value still being high.

Potential Suitors for Barfield:

Colorado = Needs to fill a spot vacated by Matsui
Royals = Grundz needs an heir and I'm not sure Callaspo is it
A's = I believe Ellis is a being FA
Giants = Durham is about to crumble to dust
Nationals = He'd be an upgrade over Belliard
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Barfield or Bust

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Please don't compare Josh Barfield to Brandon Phillips again.

I think by '09 Barfield will be logging a lotta time on a bus playing for a team with a silly name.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:23 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Please don't compare Josh Barfield to Brandon Phillips again.

I think by '09 Barfield will be logging a lotta time on a bus playing for a team with a silly name.

You would've said the same thing about Phillips in '05. Unlike Phillips at that point, Barfield has at least shown some glimpses of potential with his solid rookie season.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Maybe to the White Sox too, who are without Iguchi. In the same division though, so who knows.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Cow » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:25 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:Please don't compare Josh Barfield to Brandon Phillips again.

Well Barfield and Phillips appear to be headed down similar career paths. The Tribe seems set with Cabrera at 2B and Peralta at SS. They just signed the immortal Jamey Carroll to be the Util guy. So Barfield seems to be headed for AAA. The Tribe kept the immortal Ramon Vazquez over Brandon Phillips, will they do the same with Barfield/Carroll? Barfield does have an option so he can go to AAA. Barfield could be dealt, but for what? I suppose he would be part of a package, perhaps for Jason Bay or another LF. When the Tribe cut Phillips I thought it a bad move because you don't cut a guy like that for Ramon Vazquez. I think Barfield has similar potential to Phillips so this will be interesting. We could see Barfield at 2B in CLE as Cabrera is hardly a proven commodity. There is still a chance that the Tribe's infield looks like this: 1B Garko, 2B Barfield, SS Cabrera, 3B Peralta. However it will probably be: 1B Garko, 2B Cabrera, SS Peralta, 3b Blake.
Cabrera is a natural SS and the Tribe is not happy with Peralta's defense so ya never know here.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:51 am

Havok1517 wrote:Potential Suitors for Barfield:

No

Mark Ellis inf
2 years/$6M (2006-07), plus $5M 2008 club option

* A's exercised $5M 2008 club option 9/24/07

We would still take him if he was cheap.
He has 44 major league walks from 959 career at-bats with a .297 OBP. His minor league stats say he is a lot better then that.
I'd love to know what went wrong with him in 2004 at AA , because he might have the same problem now. :-?
Injury? Off-field problems? Lack of motivation?

The AussieDodger
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:16 am

It is going to be a fun situation to watch.

Barfield will start the season in Buffalo to get regular ABs. Droobs will be the starting 2B & Jamey Carroll the teams Utility IF. However, if you are a Barfield fan, there is a light at then end of the tunnell. Asdrubal is a natural short stop, and he is compared to Vizquel defensively. If the Indians want to improve their infield defense to one of the best in baseball, which seems sexy because Carmona and Westbrook are both groundball pictures, Barfield at 2B, Droobs and SS and Marte at 3B would be the answer.

Peralta's glove isn't too bad, but he has the range of a retarded turtle and dosn't always hustle to balls. There is the possibility that he is traded for a power hitting left fielder, or a solid #2 starter, with C.C. leaving soon.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby San D » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:13 am

TheGhost76777 wrote:It is going to be a fun situation to watch.

Barfield will start the season in Buffalo to get regular ABs. Droobs will be the starting 2B & Jamey Carroll the teams Utility IF. However, if you are a Barfield fan, there is a light at then end of the tunnell. Asdrubal is a natural short stop, and he is compared to Vizquel defensively. If the Indians want to improve their infield defense to one of the best in baseball, which seems sexy because Carmona and Westbrook are both groundball pictures, Barfield at 2B, Droobs and SS and Marte at 3B would be the answer.

Peralta's glove isn't too bad, but he has the range of a retarded turtle and dosn't always hustle to balls. There is the possibility that he is traded for a power hitting left fielder, or a solid #2 starter, with C.C. leaving soon.

Yeah, good point. I could also see them sliding Peralta to third if a good trade doesn't present itself and Marte never pans out.

I wonder who has more trade value....Peralta or Barfield? Barfield has more upside but his trade value got hurt somewhat last year. Peralta's probably as good as he can get, but he's decent (good pop, OK SS, K's a lot), young, and is fairly cheap for the next 3-4 years.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:23 pm

I think Barfield has the talent, you can see glimpses off it when you watch him. He very well pull a Phillips and to say not to compare them is absurd because looking at their career paths, I believe it is a failry good comparison. Will he ever pull a Phillips, I think so, but he could go the other way too.

Very interesting question Havok
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Potential Suitors for Barfield:

There was also a rumor that there were talks between the Cards and Indians about swapping Rolen and A. Reyes for something that might have included both Barfield and Cliff Lee.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers