Puljols next trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puljols next trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puljols next trade?

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
jfg wrote:Loyal fans would see that trading Pujols for a bright future might not be a bad idea.

It isn't the loyal fans who determine your annual revenue, unfortunately.

But, I would think that the media would spin the trade fairly as well if they would get a truly "major haul". That would do wonders for public perception. I guess I don't know anything about the St. Louis media. The media around here spun the Garnett trade fairly and are doing the same with Santana and if anything both trades/trade talks have sparked more interest in both teams. Fans get excited about the new and unknown.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby talk show host » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 pm

"I think Rick Ankiel has since emerged as a force. (Ryan) Ludwick had a good year. (Skip) Schumaker played well. Rasmus got another year's experience. We're deep there. Right now we're trying to do everything we can to maintain flexibility and give some younger players a chance to play."

Yet DeWitt acknowledges the Cardinals are short on major league-ready prospects, a hindrance in their pursuit of an impact trade. The Cardinals hoped to acquire Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada but quickly realized that they lacked the ammunition without putting Rasmus in play.

"Unfortunately, we had the financial resources but not the player resources to get a player like Tejada," DeWitt said. "Clubs aren't looking for prospects who are a year or two away. They want major league-ready players. We just don't have them right now. We don't. I think we will."
"I don't really see this move as looking at '08 and waving the white flag," Mozeliak said. "We still feel we can be a competitive club. LENNY:.(He Didnt Say Pennant Winning) Bear in mind, for us to get to that level it comes down to whether we can address the starting pitching as we move forward." JStrauss Post Dispatch
DeWitt and GM John Mozeliak should have just laid out the accurate and realistic nature of the franchise's predicament, and ask for understanding as they maneuver from an old era to a new one.

What's wrong with having a transition year, anyway? It doesn't mean a bottoming-out, a surrender, or a lack of desire to win. Like it or not, this team must retool its roster by getting younger, and part of that is holding off on short-sighted moves that will only worsen the situation. The Cardinals are stuck until the farm system regenerates, some old salaries are dumped, the pitching health of Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder turns around, and the overall flexibility improves B.MIKLASZ Post Dispatch

"We are definitely transitioning younger," chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said Saturday evening

PUJOLS NEXT??
talk show host
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:54 pm

talk show host wrote:"I think Rick Ankiel has since emerged as a force. (Ryan) Ludwick had a good year. (Skip) Schumaker played well. Rasmus got another year's experience. We're deep there. Right now we're trying to do everything we can to maintain flexibility and give some younger players a chance to play."

Yet DeWitt acknowledges the Cardinals are short on major league-ready prospects, a hindrance in their pursuit of an impact trade. The Cardinals hoped to acquire Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada but quickly realized that they lacked the ammunition without putting Rasmus in play.

"Unfortunately, we had the financial resources but not the player resources to get a player like Tejada," DeWitt said. "Clubs aren't looking for prospects who are a year or two away. They want major league-ready players. We just don't have them right now. We don't. I think we will."
"I don't really see this move as looking at '08 and waving the white flag," Mozeliak said. "We still feel we can be a competitive club. LENNY:.(He Didnt Say Pennant Winning) Bear in mind, for us to get to that level it comes down to whether we can address the starting pitching as we move forward." JStrauss Post Dispatch
DeWitt and GM John Mozeliak should have just laid out the accurate and realistic nature of the franchise's predicament, and ask for understanding as they maneuver from an old era to a new one.

What's wrong with having a transition year, anyway? It doesn't mean a bottoming-out, a surrender, or a lack of desire to win. Like it or not, this team must retool its roster by getting younger, and part of that is holding off on short-sighted moves that will only worsen the situation. The Cardinals are stuck until the farm system regenerates, some old salaries are dumped, the pitching health of Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder turns around, and the overall flexibility improves B.MIKLASZ Post Dispatch

"We are definitely transitioning younger," chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said Saturday evening

PUJOLS NEXT??

NO
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
talk show host wrote:"I think Rick Ankiel has since emerged as a force. (Ryan) Ludwick had a good year. (Skip) Schumaker played well. Rasmus got another year's experience. We're deep there. Right now we're trying to do everything we can to maintain flexibility and give some younger players a chance to play."

PUJOLS NEXT??

NO

Hahahahahahaha. At least it's Pujols this time and not Puljols.

But seriously, this is absurd.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 am

people who took this thread seriously should be banned from the site.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 am

PUJOLS NEXT??

I think you are missing this.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby RyanK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:53 am

JimmyBaseball wrote:people who took this thread seriously should be banned from the site.

i only just read it beacause it reached 6 pages... figured soemthign interesting happend in it..

on a side note... i traded pujols in my keeper/dynasty league this off season... slightly regretted deal because a couple others i had in place fell through..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:47 am

jfg wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
jfg wrote:Loyal fans would see that trading Pujols for a bright future might not be a bad idea.

It isn't the loyal fans who determine your annual revenue, unfortunately.

But, I would think that the media would spin the trade fairly as well if they would get a truly "major haul". That would do wonders for public perception. I guess I don't know anything about the St. Louis media. The media around here spun the Garnett trade fairly and are doing the same with Santana and if anything both trades/trade talks have sparked more interest in both teams. Fans get excited about the new and unknown.

The St. Louis media is trying to stir up anger about how the Cardinals seemingly dismissed Eckstein without even trying to resign him.

Eckstein. Not Pujols. Eckstein.

Think about it.

And what's a Garnett? :-B

ps - I think my favorite part of the "Jump to conclusions" mat has always been the "Loose one turn" square. :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby talk show host » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:29 am

Garnett refers to Kevin Garnett and the spin Minn did when the trade was made.
Cards get Nothing for Eckstein and replaced him with Ryan/Izturis
Cards trade Edmonds for A prospect..Freese is a good one but at least 2 yrs away(trying him at catcher)
You think Albert is going to be Happy??.This all plays into Pujols trade..I know its a longshot but Haren ,,Bedard Santana all all being traded or be considered ..Why not Pujols? If the cards plan is to be "competitive ' in 2 years , is Pujols merely a drawing card to fill seats??
When I started this thread i never expected 6 pages Thank you all for making this interesting..Didnt know what to expect LENNY :-)
talk show host
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:47 am

talk show host wrote:Garnett refers to Kevin Garnett and the spin Minn did when the trade was made.

Remember that PM I sent you about smilies? :-)

JTWood wrote:And what's a Garnett? :-B <--
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers