Puljols next trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puljols next trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puljols next trade?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:05 am

Trading Pujols would be moronic from a baseball and PR standpoint.
The Cards are built around Pujols and Carp and look like they are treading water this year to see if Carp can return.

Here's what they look like for the next 3 years.

C - Molina
1B - Pujols
2B - Kennedy, I've heard rumors of moving Bryan Anderson to 2B
SS - ???, maybe Ryan
3B - Rolen
RF - Ankiel
CF - Rasmus
LF - Duncan

SP - Carp
SP - Wainwright
SP - Mulder
SP - Pineiro
SP - Looper
I think they have given up on Reyes but you never know.

Setup - Franklin
Closer - Izzy, Chris Perez

That's nothing incredible but it should be competitve.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:11 am

brewcrew4you wrote:I still expect Rolen + $ to end up in Milwaukee, for some sort of Chris Capuano + a prospect deal.
I see no reason for the Cards to make that deal. When he has been healthy he has put up numbers very similar to Tejada and their contracts are also very similar. Rolen's value is at an all-time low. The only reason you deal him now is if you think he is done.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hersch223 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:13 am

San D wrote:Thanks for all that! :-b

AussieDodger wrote:Does anyone else think it unwise to start the season with Rasmus in CF? I would like 150-200 AAA at-bats first.

It will be remarkably lucky if they get more then 75-80 wins out of this squad , especially with Rolen and perhaps Reyes expected to be traded.

I read on Rotoworld that the Cards would likely put Ankiel in CF to start the season and would look towards another free agent bat for the OF. This would mean they likely agree with you about giving Rasmus some AAA bats.

I could really see us signing Kenny Lofton for CF, seeing as how we don't have a lead-off hitter yet either. If not, then Skip Schumaker would probably see some time there (ugh........)

With the starting pitching being a who's-who of mediocrity behind Wainright, and Carp being lucky if he takes the mound at all this year, 75-80 wins would be about right. Any more than that is icing on the cake.

That being said, we are losing a lot of salary next year. Edmonds is gone now, but then there's Izzy and I think Mulder too. So hopefully we can sign some free-agents next year when the picking is better, call up a couple youngsters, and hopefully make some noise in the division.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:19 am

I doubt they sign a FA with Rasmus set to be up sometime this year. The rule 5 draftee Barton could be another OF option.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:I still expect Rolen + $ to end up in Milwaukee, for some sort of Chris Capuano + a prospect deal.
I see no reason for the Cards to make that deal. When he has been healthy he has put up numbers very similar to Tejada and their contracts are also very similar. Rolen's value is at an all-time low. The only reason you deal him now is if you think he is done.

And the Brewers have even less reason to make that trade. What are they going to do, replace Braun or Fielder with Rolen? How does that improve them?
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby clevername » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Braun moves to the OF if Rolen is dealt to Milwaukee. It makes plenty of sense for them.

The only free agent move I see the Cards making after the Edmonds trade is to put that $6 million plus the extra budget already in place into a starting pitcher. Given the starting pitcher free agent crop this year, I shudder at that thought. Jeff Weaver's name has come up again.

There's always the possibility they made the Edmonds move to free up money for a big money player to come in via trade. At this point we don't know what to expect. All signs point towards rebuilding in 08, but we just don't know.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ender » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:24 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

And the Brewers have even less reason to make that trade. What are they going to do, replace Braun or Fielder with Rolen? How does that improve them?

Braun was historically bad at 3B last year so they are willing to move him to LF if the right deal comes along for a 3B. They prefer a left handed bat though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Matthias wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:the notion of the Cardinals even entertaining the idea of trading Albert Pujols is absurd and laughable.

Sounds about par for the course for New York talk show hosts.

What bizzare comment.

Just a small joke off the name of the OP.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:34 pm

The cards will NEVER trade Pujols... look at the going price for any kind of talent and look at his contract. They have him under contract for $14m/yr for the next three or four seasons. If he gets traded, he better get a $200m extension, because he gave the Cards a massive hometown discount.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Feh!

So, you take on a huge contract for a guy that is horribly injury prone AND Rolen has the option of leaving at the end of one year.

The Brewers can achieve a far better solution opting for one of the FA third basemen. The cost is less, both in terms of $ and lost prospects, and the marginal difference between one of the freely available 3B and the half-season of Rolen they would get is minimal.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers