Puljols next trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puljols next trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puljols next trade?

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:31 pm

talk show host wrote:Reds Astros are making a push while Oakland trades Haren and Balltimore trades Tejeda and talks of Bedard..The Cardinals look awful and are in a division with 2 tems really pushing to win Is the Cards deal of Edmonds for an A prospect a signal of going the Oak/Balt way or are the hoping Colby Rasmus will be the answer? IF Oak/Balt way is Puljols next to go?

Angels..Adenhart..Saunders..B Wood Willets, Mathis Kotchman/Morales enough to get Albert Puljols??? thanks Lenny

There is only one "l" in Pujols. ;-D

I think it might help the Cards in terms of rebuilding, because they aren't going to win with the team they have for a while, but you just can't trade Albert.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:In my opinion, the notion of the Cardinals even entertaining the idea of trading Albert Pujols is absurd and laughable.

Agreed.

After seeing the "quality" of this guy's posts, I can't help but wonder a) if he's actually employed to do this, b) and if he's just shopping for responses here so he has something to talk about later.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:03 am

JTWood wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:In my opinion, the notion of the Cardinals even entertaining the idea of trading Albert Pujols is absurd and laughable.

Agreed.

After seeing the "quality" of this guy's posts, I can't help but wonder a) if he's actually employed to do this, b) and if he's just shopping for responses here so he has something to talk about later.

I concur.

Let me show you something

Albert Pujols 1b
7 years/$100M (2004-10), plus $16M 2011 club option

* signed 7-year extension 2/04, avoided arbitration ($10.5M-$7M)
* 04:$7M, 05:$11M, 06:$14M, 07:$15M, 08:$16M, 09:$16M, 10:$16M, 11:$16M club option ($5M buyout)
* complete NTC 2004-2006 & limited NTC during remainder of the deal

STL still have him for 4 years at $16mil per.
That is half of what they would probably pay currently if he was a free agent. Even Colletti/Sabean could not balls this up. (Well actually :-S )
The chances of him being traded in the near future are the same as the chances of him being traded for Neifi Perez , Dusty Baker and a set of false teeth.

If you are going to propose stuff please try something a little more realistic. Thanks ;-D .
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby CadensDad » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:36 am

Can we get this dumb thread locked? It's nearly useless to have

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby San D » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:09 am

This original post actually has potential. Instead of trying to start a Pujols trade rumor, Talk Show Host should have gone into the state of the St. Louis Cardinals and how they need to rebuild. Then, he could have gone into options that he sees (including a Pujols trade, a Rolen trade, or whatever else).

Frankly, Pujols and Wainwright are the only two players I'd be ecstatic with in the field and SP rotation. Everyone else is a wildcard or their performance hasn't been that great (Izturis, Kennedy, Rolen, Ankiel, Duncan, FA OF, Barton, Molina, Looper, Mulder, Piniero, Reyes, FA SP). They don't seem to have too much in the minors coming up either other than Rasmus, Anderson (a decent catcher), and some OK pitching prospects. It wouldn't happen (who would ever offer something like this?), but as someone similarly stated earlier, if an offer along the lines of Kemp/Loney/Billingsley/Broxton/LaRoche came along for Pujols, the Cardinals would seriously have to consider it. :-?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:08 am

What is wrong with the team St. Louis has now?

Best defensive catcher in baseball, if not one of the best ever. MVP candidate year in and year out at 1st base. Young talented outfield with Duncan, Ankeil, Barton & Raz. Izturius and Rolen give them one of the best defensive infields in baseball.

Chris Carpenter is coming back, Adam Wainwright is a stud, and they have one of the top pens in baseball. You mean to tell me this team can't pull out 86-87 wins and win the Central?
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby San D » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:32 am

TheGhost76777 wrote:What is wrong with the team St. Louis has now?

Best defensive catcher in baseball, if not one of the best ever. MVP candidate year in and year out at 1st base. Young talented outfield with Duncan, Ankeil, Barton & Raz. Izturius and Rolen give them one of the best defensive infields in baseball.

Chris Carpenter is coming back, Adam Wainwright is a stud, and they have one of the top pens in baseball. You mean to tell me this team can't pull out 86-87 wins and win the Central?

I feel the Cardinals have too many question marks to contend. Like I said, Pujols and Wainwright are studs. Other than that,
Carpenter - who knows when he'll come back or how effective he'll be
Looper - Late 4 ERA as a starter
Mulder - Big question mark
Reyes - What happened to him?
Piniero - I think he finished strong last year - but he's a big gamble
Molina - I actually like him. I love his defense, and he's a good contact hitter, but he's no star.
Rolen - who knows?
Izturis - Great fielder. Can't hit.
2B - Kennedy? Cairo? They're replaceable.
Duncan - Do you get 2006 good Duncan or lesser 2007 version? Heck, they were talking of swapping him for Jack Wilson.
Ankiel - Let's see what happens when league catches up to him.
There aren't any FA fielders or SPs I'd think is an upgrade.

That Pujols for a bunch of Dodgers swap would actually help the Cards. Again, it wouldn't happen, but the idea has some merit, and the Cards definitely need to rebuild somehow.

Who knows? I could eat crow in October if all these question marks or dud players pan out, but it's a lot of question marks.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 am

Let me try to help. :-D

San D wrote:Reyes - What happened to him?

Dave Duncan happened to him. I think he had success in the minor leagues challenging hitters up high (and a lot of success) and Duncan/La Poopsa want to change him to a sinkerballer. You know what happens when you change young SPs sometimes.(For example Dwight Gooden)
I'm sure StLSluggers will correct me if I'm wrong. :-D :-b

San D wrote:2B - Kennedy?

That's not a question mark , that's called a free out. This might be the tester to see if the new GM is legit. If he starts the season with Kennedy as starting 2B then the answer is no thanks.

San D wrote:Rolen - who knows?

Rolen will get traded. He and La Poopsa can't co-exist. You know who wins.

San D wrote:Carpenter - who knows when he'll come back or how effective he'll be
Mulder - Big question mark

I wouldn't expect more then half a season each out of these two.

San D wrote:Ankiel - Let's see what happens when league catches up to him.

His OBP will kill them

San D wrote:Duncan - Do you get 2006 good Duncan or lesser 2007 version? Heck, they were talking of swapping him for Jack Wilson.

If he can control himself on the weight bench then you get the 2006 version. If they trade him for Jack Wilson you get nothing ;-D

Special bonus comment: Does anyone else think it unwise to start the season with Rasmus in CF? I would like 150-200 AAA at-bats first.

It will be remarkably lucky if they get more then 75-80 wins out of this squad , especially with Rolen and perhaps Reyes expected to be traded.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby San D » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 am

Thanks for all that! :-b

AussieDodger wrote:Does anyone else think it unwise to start the season with Rasmus in CF? I would like 150-200 AAA at-bats first.

It will be remarkably lucky if they get more then 75-80 wins out of this squad , especially with Rolen and perhaps Reyes expected to be traded.

I read on Rotoworld that the Cards would likely put Ankiel in CF to start the season and would look towards another free agent bat for the OF. This would mean they likely agree with you about giving Rasmus some AAA bats.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brewcrew4you » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:00 am

I still expect Rolen + $ to end up in Milwaukee, for some sort of Chris Capuano + a prospect deal.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers