Inclusive Education - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Inclusive Education

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Inclusive Education

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:06 pm

I am helping my wife with her research paper and the topic is inclusive education. I will be doing most of the research online but would love to hear from real people in education that might be able offer various points of view. Of course I will credit you for the info. :-D

Thanks. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Inclusive Education

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm an elementary education major- by inclusive education i suppose you mean the inclusion of students with disabilities in the classroom. I took an entire course on this- i would suggest for your wife to concentrate on IDEA- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Before taking this course i was nervous about having students in my classroom with disabilities however, i have done a complete 180 on this. These students deserve the right to an appropriate education just like everyone else. It is very important to realize that each student is different, and while some students with disabilities are best off in a regular classroom other students are not, it truly depends on the individual. I'm sure your wife knows this but make sure to use person first langauge- the child with a disability not the disabled child.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Re: Inclusive Education

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:00 pm

You are definitely going to want to look into IDEA as well as the amendments to it in 1997. In my opinion, inclusion classroom settings are a fantastic opportunity for all students. It does require a certain, very special type of teacher, however, who is right for the role, and if said teacher is not properly placed, the program has a strong possibility of falling on its face. In my experience, students enjoy assisting the children with disabilities in their classrooms, both academically and socially, at a younger age, K - 5 or so. In the high school setting, it's a much thinner line you walk, trying to keep the students as mainstreamed as possible, keeping their social interaction high and not outcasting them, though as we all know, kids tend to get more judgmental and vocal about their judgments as journey towards young adulthood. In my opinion, at the elementary level it is a must, and at the high school level, given the right circumstances it can work, though I've seen it go both ways. Keep in mind it also depends on the disabilities you're talking about, from mental to physical to emotional, with varying degrees.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Return to General Talk