Valverde to Houston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Valverde to Houston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Valverde to Houston

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:19 am

Is it just me, or does it seem like AZ took a step forward with the Haren deal, then took one back by dealing Papa Grande for what seems like not much? Any idea who's going to close out games now? Valverde really locked it down for them last year, and I don't think Qualls is really proven as a closer...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby swyck » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:30 pm

I don't much care about the Houston end of this. They're a mess, forget them.

What I don't get is what do the snakes get out of this? I'd have thought with their other moves they were favorites in their division with a crop of solid young players. Now they deal their closer, who had a fine season, and that opens up question marks there. I don't get it. I know Valverde has been injury prone so maybe they just didn't have confidence in him?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Ender » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Qualls isn't a huge downgrade from Valverde. I imagine Pena becomes the closer and Qualls a setup guy. Burke gives them a 2B option if Hudson isn't fully recovered from the injury and can help out in the OF which suddenly lacks depth with all of these trades.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:16 pm

cordscords wrote:I like the trade. Of course I wouldnt have dealt Lidge in the first place along with the other moves Wade has made, but based on what has happened this trade makes sense.

I kind of agree with this in that I wouldn't have dealt Lidge to begin with. Bourn might turn into a decent lead off type hitter, might, but Lidge was a darn good pitcher.

Now, they deal their most dependable bullpen arm in Qualls, who has had three very solid seasons in a row, to get back a talented, but volatile and somewhat inconsistent closer (sounds like a certain former 'Stros closer). Great 2005 and 2007, pretty awful 2006. In addition, they trade Gutierrez, the #4 prospect in the Astros system according to Baseball America (#4 prior to trading Patton, so I suppose he would've been #3 actually).

That said, Valverde should be pretty decent for them, he's got nasty stuff. I think, fantasy wise, he will certainly see fewer save opportunities in Houston. I don't know who in that bullpen (or the rotation) is going to be able to get the ball to Jose with the lead. That guy used to be Qualls...

In the end, I understand this trade from Houston's perspective, Valverde's a quality arm, but I think ultimately Wade burned himself by dealing Lidge. Now he just had to deal three more players to get back...another Brad Lidge. I might be oversimplifying this a little bit, but doesn't it ultimately shake out like this:

Houston Loses

Lidge
Qualls
Gutierrez
Burke

Houston Gains

Valverde
Bourn
Geary

I think I'd rather have the former list with two quality pitchers and another potential one in Gutierrez. Bourn really has to make that exchange worth it.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm kinda surprised by this deal, mostly because of the team getting him.

:-?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers