100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren to the D-Backs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Haren to the D-Backs

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:12 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
thedude wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Carlos Gonzalez is easily the worst player that Oakland got. I don't know how he got to be a "household name" , but he doesn't walk much and he had a whole season at AA with a .330 OBP. I'm thinking Beane will trade him on to someone else because he is known/over-rated.

8-o 8-o That is not true at all.

He is easily thebest player Oakland got. He has amazing bat speed. Has a plus arm and plus speed. His final 2 months he hit well over .330. He just turned 22 and could start in right for the A's today, but should probably spend a couple months in triple A.

Obviously what he looks like and what his total numbers are are two different things.

Carlos has the potential to be a superstar and also by far the highest ceiling player OAK got in this trade.
Last edited by Yoda on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Not knowing anything other than Anderson's #'s, at the age of 19 125 K's in 120 IP with only 21 BB is extremely impressive. Even at such a low level the fact that he can post a 6/1 K/BB shows he can control his stuff, it may not be 9+ K/9 at higher levels, but still.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Not knowing anything other than Anderson's #'s, at the age of 19 125 K's in 120 IP with only 21 BB is extremely impressive. Even at such a low level the fact that he can post a 6/1 K/BB shows he can control his stuff, it may not be 9+ K/9 at higher levels, but still.

He is very young and far away from contributing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Tavish wrote:
Guzman24 wrote:How does this affect Haren's fantasy value???

Move to the NL ;-D

Better offence behind him ;-D

As a Haren owner I'm :-D :-D :-D

Moving from the Coliseum to Chase :-t :-t

The guy gave up a bunch of HRs for #1 or #2 starter in the Coliseum. Now in the new Launching pad it might be ugly.

That's because Haren pitches in the strike zone, avoiding the walk as much as possible. 17 of his HR given up last year came with no runners on meaning he still pretty stingy.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Yoda wrote:Carlos has the potential to be a superstar and also by far the highest ceiling player OAK got in this trade.

Agreed. My initial reaction was, "At least they got Gonzalez in the deal."

I'm still absolutely shocked they moved him with this much time left before he becomes a free agent.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NZ F » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:13 am

Tavish wrote:

Move to the NL ;-D

The guy gave up a bunch of HRs for #1 or #2 starter in the Coliseum. Now in the new Launching pad it might be ugly.

I agree. In my mind Haren's value goes down with this move.
NZ F
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:17 am

Tavish wrote:

Move to the NL ;-D

The change in parks is big i agree. But don't you think some of it is negated by no dh, increasing his K/9, a better defense, and his bad luck last year leading MLB in tough losses with 8.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RynMan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:36 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Move to the NL ;-D

The change in parks is big i agree. But don't you think some of it is negated by no dh, increasing his K/9, a better defense, and his bad luck last year leading MLB in tough losses with 8.

I agree Hootie. Johan Santana gives up a bunch of HRs as well, and he seems to get by alright. As long as he keeps the walk rate down and the defense behind can keep hits from landing in (which it will in ARZ), should be solo shots. I think he gets a slight bump.

As for the trade itself....Beane basically realises that for this team to compete this year, a lot of guys have to be heatlhy, who aren't likely to be. This is the best time to rebuild and realign the pieces. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blanton and Street dealt before the season as well. Now that he has decided that they aren't competing this season, he's going to be shopping those parts.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 am

RynMan wrote:As for the trade itself....Beane basically realises that for this team to compete this year, a lot of guys have to be heatlhy, who aren't likely to be. This is the best time to rebuild and realign the pieces. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blanton and Street dealt before the season as well. Now that he has decided that they aren't competing this season, he's going to be shopping those parts.

Yes! Someone agrees with me. ;-D
As an A's fan this trade is cool by me because if 2/6 guys from the trade are big hits then it's a two for 1 , and Haren was terrific and affordable at a time when we were too far from contending.
76 wins to 93 wins is a big jump. (For example A-Rod was worth 13 wins? in 2007 , and there aren't many of him laying around)
I think Blanton will stay , but Street could be shopped , especially around the trade deadline.
The Reds still need more bullpen help don't they? }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) Joey Votto }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) Johnny Cueto }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-) }:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Yoda » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:49 am

I think moving to the NL will wash out the park effect. It is true that Haren is a fly ball pitcher in a HR hitters park. Also, he did a great job of keeping the ball in the park last year and I would expect that trend to continue.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers