Haren to the D-Backs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren to the D-Backs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren to the D-Backs

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 pm

The A's have completed a trade to send Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks along with pitcher Connor Robertson, The Chronicle has learned.

In exchange, Oakland will receive a total of six prospects, including outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and left-handers Brett Anderson and Greg Smith. Arizona's first-round pick in 2006, pitcher Max Scherzer, is not a part of the deal.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/14/SPQTTUU9P.DTL
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Haren to the D-Backs

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow I'm super pissed the rox's didn't get off their butts to make that trade. We could have offered alot more then that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby horatio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Yuck.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:24 pm

Wow... Webb/Haren is going to be a pretty darn good pair to throw out there. They didn't really give up anyone that will immediately impact their roster so this might end up being a good trade for both. The only thing is, Beane seems very good at buying low/selling high.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:34 pm

In a companion deal, the Diamondbacks are sending closer Jose Valverde to the Astros for reliever Chad Qualls, infielder Chris Burke and Class AAA right-hander Juan Gutierrez.

Damn... Busy, busy DBacks.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jcde7ago » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:36 pm

I cried when the Giants signed Rowand to a 5-year, $60 mil. contract. But that IMHO pales in comparison to this deal. Bad for the A's, who now have to rely on inconsistent offense/pitching because they always seem to have a propensity for getting rid of players in their primes, and excellent for the D'backs, who now have a Webb-Haren 1-2 punch. You can argue that the A's are in a rebuilding phase, but they always seem to be rebuilding..i mean how can you rebuild when every time a player comes into his own and emerges you send him packing the following season? :-? I think the NL West just hands down won the contest for the most talented group of pitchers in a single division...Peavy/Young/Webb/Haren/Cain/Lincecum/Penny (first half of season at least/Schmidt (if he's not totally done)/Francis (young and a lefty, can only get better).

I exclude the AL East in this because the Red Sox have a 1-2-3 punch of Beckett, Dice-K and Schilling which just isn't fair 8-o
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:39 pm

I wonder why Beane acted so early to make this trade? All we kept hearing was that Beane was in no rush to deal Haren. I figured he would have waited for a hugely lop-sided deal, or a deal where he got a top tier prospect. I don't think he got either in this deal. Very surprising, I think some AL teams could have offered some better prospects but Beane probably didn't want to trade Haren to a rival AL team.

Haren doesn't really seem like the traditional sell high canidate especially since he is cheap for the next few years.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Field » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:45 pm

An additional note, this does nothing to improve the Twins hand in the Santana negotiations that's for sure.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:46 pm

Yeah, it seems like a decent package, but isn't it possible that the loser of the Santana sweepstakes would offer more?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Field » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:Yeah, it seems like a decent package, but isn't it possible that the loser of the Santana sweepstakes would offer more?

I don't think so, not many teams are in the so called "Santana Sweapstakes". I don't think any new teams will all of a sudden be part of the equation.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers