Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:06 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:Starting never and ending never.

Every era has its mitigating circumstances - no competition from black players, players missing for wars, players on greenies, etc. Move on.


Precisely. You simply don't compare players from different eras based on these raw stats. If Ruth had to face black players, he wouldn't have posted the same numbers. If Aaron and Mays weren't on amphetamines, they wouldn't have posted the same numbers. If Bonds wasn't on steroids, he wouldn't have posted the same numbers. If Player X wasn't on Substance X in the year 2050, he wouldn't have posted the same numbers.

It has always been this way and will always be this way. You can't change that.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:24 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Ban them all from HOF.

Mark the records in this era with an *.

There is a way.


OK I nominate you to be the lead investigator for this. So which year and which player shall we start with?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Ban them all from HOF.

Mark the records in this era with an *.

There is a way.


OK I nominate you to be the lead investigator for this. So which year and which player shall we start with?


1871
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Ban them all from HOF.

Mark the records in this era with an *.

There is a way.


When did the steroid era start? When did it end? What about players who have not been associated to steroids? What about players who have but are innocent? What numbers are you going to mark with an *? Just the records? That isn't fair. You have to mark everyone's numbers with an asterisk. Every single player.

There is no way. This argument is laughable.


The Mitchell report provides a good starting point into when the steroid era began. As to your other point, see the bold.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Ban them all from HOF.

Mark the records in this era with an *.

There is a way.


When did the steroid era start? When did it end? What about players who have not been associated to steroids? What about players who have but are innocent? What numbers are you going to mark with an *? Just the records? That isn't fair. You have to mark everyone's numbers with an asterisk. Every single player.

There is no way. This argument is laughable.


The Mitchell report provides a good starting point into when the steroid era began. As to your other point, see the bold.


So anybody who played from the mid-80s to the present is automatically excluded from getting into the Hall?

What about HGH? It still isn't being tested for.

What about amphetamines? They are also illegal by US law and were widely used throughout the 60s and 70s, including players like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

Where does it stop? Please detail your plan for cleaning up the game.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:16 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:The Mitchell report provides a good starting point into when the steroid era began. As to your other point, see the bold.


Rockets I find it interesting how you conveniently skipped over my questions. What year and which player do you want to start with? It is your call. I want to see you name every single player that should or should not get in HOF due to steroid or any other illegal substance including greenies.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
horatio wrote:Eh, just playing devil's advocate, but why should Bonds's record have an asterisk for taking steroids when the home runs he was hitting was off pitchers who were also taking steroids?


This is exactly what Bonds supporters have been arguing for years but the haters refuse to listen because of their personal hatred towards Bonds.


Thank God that they are the biased ones. :-°
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Yoda wrote:
horatio wrote:Eh, just playing devil's advocate, but why should Bonds's record have an asterisk for taking steroids when the home runs he was hitting was off pitchers who were also taking steroids?


This is exactly what Bonds supporters have been arguing for years but the haters refuse to listen because of their personal hatred towards Bonds.


Thank God that they are the biased ones. :-°


I don't get it. So are you implying that I am biased?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Thank God that they are the biased ones. :-°


I don't get it. So are you implying that I am biased?


That's exactly what I'm saying. I am not sure that you can have an objective discussion regarding Bonds. It's all good. Just admit it. I have kept an open mind on the subject and have leaned some things that has changed my thinking a little. It seems that all that you do is call anyone that has anything negative to say about him a "hater".
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Who'll use Mitchell rpt. to minimize bonds' troubles?

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:17 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Thank God that they are the biased ones. :-°


I don't get it. So are you implying that I am biased?


That's exactly what I'm saying. I am not sure that you can have an objective discussion regarding Bonds. It's all good. Just admit it. I have kept an open mind on the subject and have leaned some things that has changed my thinking a little. It seems that all that you do is call anyone that has anything negative to say about him a "hater".


The reason why I say that is because people want Bonds to take all the responsibility by negating his records and denying his rightful entry into HOF. That is completely hypocritical given that there are so many players already in the HOF who have cheated in one way or another. All those guys get a free pass and not Bonds because why? I'm just saying that everyone should get equal treatment and it clearly is not the case with Bonds and steroids. He is being singled out and people who continue to claim that he should be persecuted are effectively turning a blind eye.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact