George Mitchell works for the Red Sox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

George Mitchell works for the Red Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: George Mitchell works for the Red Sox

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm

ukrneal wrote:I find the whole "Mitchell was with the Red Sox (how many months?) and therefore must be dumping on others (cough...Yankees...cough)" over the top. He's a former US Senator (with a pretty darned solid reputation), a proposed Supreme Court nominee, and a key broker of the Northern Ireland peace process. He has about as solid a reputation as a politician (or former politician) can have. I don't think he cared about anything but trying to find the truth. I find it amazing that because he had that association, he MUST be assumed to be impartial. There is absolutely nothing for him to be gained by trying to supress some info and everything to lose.

The bolded part is why I'm particularly touchy about any criticism of Mitchell's integrity.

The only reason people bring this up is because they have an agenda of discrediting the report.

Yup.

Lofunzo wrote:
BritSox wrote:*Sigh*

Having Mitchell lead the report was a bad idea not because there IS any wrongdoing on his part, but because it was obvious that one-eyed Yankee fans and Boston haters with a collective IQ lower than my sister's rabbit would immediately jump upon that little tidbit and use it to come up with their usual ludicrous conspiracy theories.

I have no doubt that he did everything legitimately but I also can't fault anyone for questioning it. Your "it was obvious that one-eyed Yankee fans and Boston haters with a collective IQ lower than my sister's rabbit would immediately jump upon that little tidbit and use it to come up with their usual ludicrous conspiracy theories" comment is way over the top.

Read the ESPN/CBS sportsline comments sections and tell me I'm wrong. "ZOMG! Mitchell works 4 da REdSox! He must totally be witchhunting Yankees and shielding Sox playaz!!!one!!!!eleven!"

As I said earlier, the appointment was a bad one just because there's no need to give ammunition to these kind of morons.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:16 pm

BritSox wrote:Read the ESPN/CBS sportsline comments sections and tell me I'm wrong. "ZOMG! Mitchell works 4 da REdSox! He must totally be witchhunting Yankees and shielding Sox playaz!!!one!!!!eleven!"

As I said earlier, the appointment was a bad one just because there's no need to give ammunition to these kind of morons.

Who made those comments?? 12 year olds?? How can you take those comments seriously?? This forum is generally much more mature so I took offense with you bringing that here. I am a Yankee fan and I have no issue with Mitchell and his findings because I am confident that he conducted his report in an objective matter. That said, I can completely understand why someone might take issue with him based on his background. I do not subscribe to this line of thinking but I can understand it. I am not talking about the kids that frequent those forums. I am talking about people that can form their own opinions.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BritSox » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Well, the problem is, if it isn't moronic, it's incredibly cynical. It speaks of a completely onesided worldview, where everything good is pinstriped and anyone who dares criticise the Yankees or their players is part of a global Bostonian conspiracy. It's ridiculous, and it's frankly slanderous.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:44 pm

BritSox wrote:Well, the problem is, if it isn't moronic, it's incredibly cynical. It speaks of a completely onesided worldview, where everything good is pinstriped and anyone who dares criticise the Yankees or their players is part of a global Bostonian conspiracy. It's ridiculous, and it's frankly slanderous.

Again, where did you find those?? On a message board on those sites?? Those people are basically 12 year olds with diarrhea of the keyboard. I can't see how you can take those people seriously. Not sure why you mentioned the Yankees. While I am sure that many of the skeptical people are Yankee fans, it isn't limited to just them. Slanderous?? That's quite the reach. Am I slanderous?? I have said that I can see why some people would have a problem with him conducting the report. I don't have a problem with him at all but I can definitely see why someone might.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:19 am

BritSox wrote:Well, the problem is, if it isn't moronic, it's incredibly cynical. It speaks of a completely onesided worldview, where everything good is pinstriped and anyone who dares criticise the Yankees or their players is part of a global Bostonian conspiracy. It's ridiculous, and it's frankly slanderous.

It doesn't have to do with being a Yankee fan. I think calling Mitchell's biases into question isn't completely out of line considering he's employed by the Boston Red Sox. Like Lofunzo, I'm not saying that I buy into it, but to call it slanderous or cynical is over the top.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:03 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

It doesn't have to do with being a Yankee fan. I think calling Mitchell's biases into question isn't completely out of line considering he's employed by the Boston Red Sox. Like Lofunzo, I'm not saying that I buy into it, but to call it slanderous or cynical is over the top.

I don't know about the slanderous part, but it is undeniably cynical. But more than anything, it's just stupid.

It's cynical to believe that a respected individual would tarnish his reputation just for a few, "gotchas" or a few passes on players. George Mitchell has served as a federal prosecutor, federal judge, and US Senator. He has been in a position of influence before and the idea that he's going to hold back names to what? avoid embarrassment for the Red Sox? keep some players away from suspensions? just because he receives some monies from the Red Sox as a director is the definition of cynicism.

But it's also very stupid. Because, to be even more cynical, it isn't worth it to Mitchell. His reputation is his meal ticket. Being a Director for the Red Sox might be sexy and all, but his primary income would come from his consulting business and other opportunities. If it got leaked (and it would eventually get leaked) that he treated Red Sox players differently, his reputation would be severely damaged and his income would be severely damaged.

And, for the record, he suspended his Directorship with the Red Sox during the time that he was doing the report.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers