George Mitchell works for the Red Sox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

George Mitchell works for the Red Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

George Mitchell works for the Red Sox

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:52 am

Not sure if any of you realize this but "Senator" Mitchell is a director for the Boston Red Sox.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/front ... p?c_id=bos

Interesting. It remains to be seen if 10 yanks show on the list and 0 red sox or maybe a redsox from 10 years ago who stunk shows up on the list.

Seriously how can anyone take this seriously with George Mitchell actively working for another MLB TEAM!!

Definitely a conflict of interests that IMO hurts the entire annoying investigation
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: George Mitchell works for the Red Sox

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:56 am

LOL

You think they're just picking names out of a hat? For it to come to this - releasing names - you better belive they have some concrete evidence to back it up.

Phone records and cashed checks for MLB players ordering HGH.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 am

The Kavorka wrote:LOL

You think they're just picking names out of a hat? For it to come to this - releasing names - you better belive they have some concrete evidence to back it up.

Oh definitely out of hat. See above where I say "They picked names out of a hat duh."

Anyways you don't think that being a high ranking member of the team makes him less likely to put a Red Sox on the report? Especially a prominent one?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 am

acsguitar wrote:
The Kavorka wrote:LOL

Oh definitely out of hat. See above where I say "They picked names out of a hat duh."

Anyways you don't think that being a high ranking member of the team makes him less likely to put a Red Sox on the report? Especially a prominent one?

I would hope that he would be above that, but just the possibility of favoring another team makes me feel uneasy about it all.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:00 pm

I agree that there is a conflict of interest, even if only perceived. It was a terrible choice. As the guys on Boston sports talk radio were saying this morning, how would Red Sox fans react if someone like Rudi Guiliani (were he not running for president and is not even affiliated with the Yankees) were running the investigation? We'd be apoplectic right now :-) Even if Mitchell accurately and adequately proves that the players on the list were buying/using steroids/HGH, the question will linger about who he omitted from the Red Sox.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:I agree that there is a conflict of interest, even if only perceived. It was a terrible choice. As the guys on Boston sports talk radio were saying this morning, how would Red Sox fans react if someone like Rudi Guiliani (were he not running for president and is not even affiliated with the Yankees) were running the investigation? We'd be apoplectic right now :-) Even if Mitchell accurately and adequately proves that the players on the list were buying/using steroids/HGH, the question will linger about who he omitted from the Red Sox.

Just a note: I'm not bashing the red sox here I'm just saying its not fair to ANY other team that the world series winning team especially has an "Investigator" investigating all of baseball for steroids. We'll see when names come out but I wouldn't be surprised if VERY few Sox show up and the names of them are complete nobodys.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Didn't everyone already know he worked with the Red Sox?

Mitchell is a director of the Boston Red Sox, as well as chairman of The Walt Disney Co., the parent of ESPN.

Mitchell said his role with the Red Sox will not create a conflict. "If, in any way, anyone associated with the Red Sox is implicated, they will be treated just like everyone else," he said.

That quote is from a March 2006 article.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:I agree that there is a conflict of interest, even if only perceived. It was a terrible choice. As the guys on Boston sports talk radio were saying this morning, how would Red Sox fans react if someone like Rudi Guiliani (were he not running for president and is not even affiliated with the Yankees) were running the investigation? We'd be apoplectic right now :-) Even if Mitchell accurately and adequately proves that the players on the list were buying/using steroids/HGH, the question will linger about who he omitted from the Red Sox.

Just a note: I'm not bashing the red sox here I'm just saying its not fair to ANY other team that the world series winning team especially has an "Investigator" investigating all of baseball for steroids. We'll see when names come out but I wouldn't be surprised if VERY few Sox show up and the names of them are complete nobodys.

Oh yeah - I agree totally. They should not have picked anyone affiliated with any team period (the World Series winner is irrelevant since he was named to start this investigation in 2006). I actually have no reason to think he will intentionally omit players from the Red Sox or only put on token/ex-Red Sox players, but the perception will be there no matter what, which sucks.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:06 pm

I am pretty sure everyone know he was on the board of directors for the red sox.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Didn't everyone already know he worked with the Red Sox?

Mitchell is a director of the Boston Red Sox, as well as chairman of The Walt Disney Co., the parent of ESPN.

Mitchell said his role with the Red Sox will not create a conflict. "If, in any way, anyone associated with the Red Sox is implicated, they will be treated just like everyone else," he said.

That quote is from a March 2006 article.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Well I looked through the GM thread here and no one mentioned it. Oh and that quote is from him. So I guess I should believe it.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers