Clemens named in Mitchell report - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens named in Mitchell report

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clemens named in Mitchell report

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm

jfg wrote:
SignGuy wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet but here's an interesting article for by Jayson Stark for some perspective

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3157202

That was the media member I was referring to mostly for buying the apology hook, line and sinker.

I agree Yoda, it is easier to accept something when forgiveness is asked for. That's why he did it. It's still an insult that these players are still unwilling to come totally clean and lie straight-faced to the public even after they've been caught. Nothing's going to change until players, ownership and the commish start taking responsibility for what happened. If they just clean up the mess they made this would all be over with.

I agree with you as well. It's just that no one wants to own up to their screw up. It wasn't just the players who took them but also the trainers and doctors who provided them, commish, players association in general, managers, coaches and even player agents saw/knew what was going on and no one cared to do anything about it. Still, people are denying responsibility and yet it is always the players who are tried in the court of public. I just think it is silly.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:52 pm

I totally agree with that. I've said this before but the fact that Selig is still commish speaks volumes to how everyone involved just wants to sweep this under the rug and pretend it never happened. They need a new commissioner who had nothing to do with baseball during the steroid era. It's just a joke that Selig is still holding the post.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:45 pm

jfg wrote:I agree Yoda, it is easier to accept something when forgiveness is asked for. That's why he did it. It's still an insult that these players are still unwilling to come totally clean and lie straight-faced to the public even after they've been caught. Nothing's going to change until players, ownership and the commish start taking responsibility for what happened. If they just clean up the mess they made this would all be over with.

Yes, for once I'd just like to see an athlete/baseball player come out and tell the truth. None of this nonsense about how they didn't know what they were taking, how it never happened, how it happened accidently..etc. They all knew what they were doing. Anabolic steroids don't get into your system by accident.

Personally, I think people would be more accepting if they just came out and told the truth, but unfortunately, especially for current players, it is just better to keep your mouth shut at this point and deny to avoid a suspension.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:22 am

Yoda wrote:
SignGuy wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet but here's an interesting article for by Jayson Stark for some perspective

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3157202

Certainly puts things into perspective. You only get a month suspension for steroids in the NFL. Not a threat of * on your accomplishments or denial into HOF. Complete joke.

Not when you consider how numbers have been viewed historically in each sport.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 pm

It's still an insult that these players are still unwilling to come totally clean and lie straight-faced to the public even after they've been caught.

One thing to think about is what kind of legal implications that might have for the player. What criminal charges might be brought up based on his public confession? What civil issues might that cause with current and/or past contracts, past ad contracts, players union, etc? It's just not a black and white issue and they may not be able to just come out and say exactly what they did or didn't do.

Look at Vick - took a plea for Federal charges but then the state filed charges and used his confession (as part of the Federal charges) to nail him for similar state offenses. Just too risky to be open and honest when you've got so much to lose, such a big target on your back and so many people that would love to sell you down the river to make their own name.

That said, you reap what you sow. They have a lot of positives they've gotten from cheating in baseball and should also have to deal with the negatives that come with it... and that's just starting.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Very true. It will be interesting to see what Congress does in the upcoming months.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers