Clemens named in Mitchell report - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens named in Mitchell report

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Clemens named in Mitchell report

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:09 am

kentx12 wrote:
blankman wrote: By admitting to this, it should stop the irresponsible speculation by the media about him using steroids. It also serves to put an end to the publicity about him, something Andy obviously has never wanted.

Dont you believe that if other players came clean about there steroid abuse that the media would fall away from themmore quickly? Giambi came clean and shortly his name wasnt mentioned. That dosent make it any more right what the players did but it seems like it is forgotten alot faster.

What about Sheffield and Sosa?

Sheffield said the same thing as Bonds did in court. Why isn't he being indicted for perjury?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:47 am

So Pettite is off the hook for admitting to using HGH twice? Is that the new "I didn't consciously know I was taking steroids"? I guess it's a step that a player admitted his guilt, but I highly doubt that's the only time he used.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:16 am

jfg wrote:So Pettite is off the hook for admitting to using HGH twice? Is that the new "I didn't consciously know I was taking steroids"? I guess it's a step that a player admitted his guilt, but I highly doubt that's the only time he used.

And I highly doubt Santana has never used PEDs.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm not saying he hasn't. I'm just saying that Pettite not only is sidestepping steroid allegations, he's also being applauded for it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:45 pm

jfg wrote:I'm not saying he hasn't. I'm just saying that Pettite not only is sidestepping steroid allegations, he's also being applauded for it.

First, HGH is not a steroid. He's not being applauded for taking HGH, he's being applauded for owning up to it. The only active players that have owned up to using PED's are Giambi and Pettitte as best as I can remember, if there are others then it's not many. When you only have 2 out of probably over a 100 active players that have used, it is honorable comparatively to those who have not admitted it.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't think it's honorable at all. It's like a plea bargain with the public. He pleads guilty to using it twice and throws in that he was using it to recover from an injury? That might be worse than not admitting at all. Not only is he asking for forgiveness, he's implying that he wants sympathy and he's assuming that the public is stupid enough to believe he only used twice. Unfortunately for us, many media figures have been stupid enough to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. I get it, a lot of players used. But, that kind of an apology is insincere and insulting.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:57 pm

jfg wrote:I don't think it's honorable at all. It's like a plea bargain with the public. He pleads guilty to using it twice and throws in that he was using it to recover from an injury? That might be worse than not admitting at all. Not only is he asking for forgiveness, he's implying that he wants sympathy and he's assuming that the public is stupid enough to believe he only used twice. Unfortunately for us, many media figures have been stupid enough to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. I get it, a lot of players used. But, that kind of an apology is insincere and insulting.

I'm not sure. The general public still makes fun of Giambi but for the most part, they forgave him when he apologized. Whether Pettitte really did it once or not is debatable but he is essentially asking for forgiveness. People are more sympathetic towards players who will ask for forgiveness than not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SignGuy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Not sure if this was posted yet but here's an interesting article for by Jayson Stark for some perspective

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3157202
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:14 pm

SignGuy wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet but here's an interesting article for by Jayson Stark for some perspective

Certainly puts things into perspective. You only get a month suspension for steroids in the NFL. Not a threat of * on your accomplishments or denial into HOF. Complete joke.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:20 pm

SignGuy wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet but here's an interesting article for by Jayson Stark for some perspective

That was the media member I was referring to mostly for buying the apology hook, line and sinker.

I agree Yoda, it is easier to accept something when forgiveness is asked for. That's why he did it. It's still an insult that these players are still unwilling to come totally clean and lie straight-faced to the public even after they've been caught. Nothing's going to change until players, ownership and the commish start taking responsibility for what happened. If they just clean up the mess they made this would all be over with.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers