Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:50 pm

Wow. I guess the Giants just didn't know what to do with the money that Bonds made last year. %-6
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:My guess is they have a AAAA guy in the minors who could nearly replicate Rowand's numbers in 2008, and for the league minimum at that.

you severely overrate the giants farm system when it comes to position players
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:36 pm

why not just save the money instead of spending it now and tying yourself up to a mediocre player.[/quote]

Absolutely saving the money and spending it on a better player at some point makes more sense, but I think the choice was Rowand who they knew they were and overpaying and Lincecum OR no Lincecum and Rios. Looking at it that way signing Rowand makes sense. Dealing away Lincecum would have been a worse move than overpaying Rowand. But I agree the Giants should have maybe spent the money next off-season. Though with the Giants rotation they could surprise.

The Cow[/quote]

Sometimes the best move is no move at all. This is one of those cases. They need to take a page out of the Marlins book but they can't properly because their entire offense is on borderline social security. I can't think of a FA signing that has worked out for the future of the Giants in recent memory.[/quote]

The pieces that the Giants could trade are young SPs dealing them would defeat the purpose of rebuilding. If the Giants had a guy to deal that would bring back a bunch of prospects then go for it. But dealing away a Lincecum or Cain defeats the purpose. The Giants have been poorly run no doubt, but signing Rowand for 12 mil per is not that bad in this day of free agency. I think Rowand as a free agent for 12 million, while not a bargain by any means is a reasonable contract, considering what other guys get. Torii Hunter is getting 18 mil per, I believe and Hunter is older. Anyways my original post was that Rowand and Lincecum trumps Rios, so signing Rowand was a better move than dealing away a Lincecum. I will say again that the Giants could surprise this year if they can add another bat or two. Because thier rotation is pretty good.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Jose Guillen and Fukodome both received contracts similar to Rowands. Guillen 3 yr 36 mil. Fukodome 4 yr 50 mil. Rowand 5 yr 60 mil. Al about 12 mil per. I would rather have Rowand than Guillen. As for Fukodome who knows what you are getting? At the worst Rowand is on par with these two I would think so the contract is reasonable for a FA.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Meh not a big fan of this deal but someone was going to bite the bullet. If this signing means that Sabean is not trading Linc/Cain for Rios then it is a good deal. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:59 pm

The Cow wrote:Jose Guillen and Fukodome both received contracts similar to Rowands. Guillen 3 yr 36 mil. Fukodome 4 yr 50 mil. Rowand 5 yr 60 mil. Al about 12 mil per. I would rather have Rowand than Guillen. As for Fukodome who knows what you are getting? At the worst Rowand is on par with these two I would think so the contract is reasonable for a FA.

The Cow

Exactly what I was thinking. The contract is pretty much what I was hoping the Royals would offer him although I figured they would have needed to go up to at least $14 mil per year. I understand teams not wanting to give out extra contract years but this signing makes the Guillen contract look even worse.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 am

man, I am decent to pretty good at fbb--which is why I am here, and I am rolling in ffb, which is why I am spending my time on the dark side, but the giants got ripped. I am not a student of the minuatae in baseball as per contracts or whatever, but considering people were going to overpay for rowand, I was hoping the phils would overpay for joes or hunter. that is stupid. I like rowand--a lot, I like what he brings to the table, but that is totally in a "hometown favorite" kind of way. I think that wasn't the best signing myself. Granted, some other markets might have and should have paid more, regardless of some baseline "worth" for the fact that he is a popular and above "average" player. But still.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:35 am

as much as rowand makes no sense for the giants, its really not all that much of an overpayment...other than it being too long of a contract, $12M a year seems to be pretty much market value for a player like rowand...see: fukudome, guillen
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby BruinBlue » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:34 am

While I don't think this was necessarily a great signing I don't think it's wuite as bad as everyone thinks. Like GiantsFan said, the worst part is the fact that it's for 5 years. I think in that sense we "overpaid" by committing to him for too long. But as some of the other people have said, I don't think 12 mil/yr is too bad. He might not put up the numbers, but Rowand will bring an intensity and passion that the Giants have lacked for a while. He plays hard nosed baseball and we need someone like that to counter the lazy bums we have (read: Pedro Feliz). Who knows, maybe in 5 years Rowand becomes a great clubhouse presence?

Anyway, like I said, not a great sign, it seems like Sabean made a move just for the sake of making a move. Granted, something needs to be done to overhaul this team but this wasn't a great off-season and we could have held out a little bit long. But hey, at least we didn't lose Cain or Lincecum... yet :-o :-o
BruinBlue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:52 am

This is really overpaying for Roward - I would find it credible to give him $11 or so for 5 years or pay a premium up to $15M if you reduce him to a 2 year deal, but to give him both that kind of money and the 5 year term is ludicrous. In this sense, the Roward does not really equate to the Guillen contract - the extra 2 years on Rowand is where most of the risk is carried while the Royals will be scot-free after 3 years.

Literally, he is Randy Winn plus 5-10 HRs now that he will be playing in SF. Actually, his BA may not even reach Randy Winn level. If this is the market rate for a mediocre OF, the Mets look pretty smart trading for Ryan Church.

When you consider that the Giants will be paying $30M+ for Zito and Roward for the next umpteen years, it seems like Isaiah Thomas is in charge over there. These contracts will cripple them from ever putting together a truely elite team for the next several years. They are in essence choosing to compete for a play-off birth at a 85-90 W level (best case) next year at the expense of ever fielding a truely good team over the next several years.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers