Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Link

So much for rebuilding...
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Aaron Rowand signs with the Giants

Postby mak1277 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:03 pm

From the article:

"Rowand will be flanked by Dave Roberts in left field and Randy Winn in right."

Yikes.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:09 pm

YUCK, Sebean needs to be fired about 3 years ago! What part of building towards the future does he not understand? I bet its like for $12 milliion a year. He'll be on the DL at least 3 times next year running into walls and what not. Might as well sign Bonds again to ignite the media circus again. It could be the only way to get people to come and see games once again. Omar, Roberts, Rowand, Winn, Molina, Bonds = OLD and YUCKY!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:10 pm

SF will finish in last again
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Havok1517 wrote:YUCK, Sebean needs to be fired about 3 years ago! What part of building towards the future does he not understand? I bet its like for $12 milliion a year. He'll be on the DL at least 3 times next year running into walls and what not. Might as well sign Bonds again to ignite the media circus again. It could be the only way to get people to come and see games once again. Omar, Roberts, Rowand, Winn, Molina, Bonds = OLD and YUCKY!

ill bet its for at least 14 mill per.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 pm

SF has some nice young pitching which they should keep in tact. If the choice was sign Rowand as a FA or trade away Tim Lincecum for Alex Rios, I sign Aaron Rowand 10 times out of 10. Not because Rowand is better than Rios, but because Rios is not a Tim Lincecum better than Rios. In other words Tim Lincecum and Rowand trumps Rios. This is actually a good move by the Giants. Now the Giants still need some bats, maybe the bat fairy drops one or two off?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BrooklynBums » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I bet its like for $12 milliion a year.

As a Giants fan, I wish this were true. According to SFGiants.com "Terms of the deal were not disclosed, although the value of Rowand's contract was believed to have approached the five-year, $90 million package that Torii Hunter, another free-agent center fielder, recently received from the Los Angeles Angels." **

IMO, Rowand is worth at most 12-14 million, but 18? 8-o
Since he will no longer be in the band box of Citizens Bank, he'll be lucky to hit 18 HR. A player who cant hit 20 HR worth 18 million? This makes deals to Hunter, Jones, Suzuki (extension), and even maybe Vernon Wells look somewhat reasonable. Rowand is certainly a good defensive player, but he is neither good power-wise or average-wise (309 last year, but 262 and 270 the two years before).
Yuck :-t

*Update* It is now being reported as 12 million/year. This makes it slightly more bearable, but in 5 years, I cannot see Rowand being worth anywhere near that.
Last edited by BrooklynBums on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:24 pm

The Cow wrote:SF has some nice young pitching which they should keep in tact. If the choice was sign Rowand as a FA or trade away Tim Lincecum for Alex Rios, I sign Aaron Rowand 10 times out of 10. Not because Rowand is better than Rios, but because Rios is not a Tim Lincecum better than Rios. In other words Tim Lincecum and Rowand trumps Rios. This is actually a good move by the Giants. Now the Giants still need some bats, maybe the bat fairy drops one or two off?

The Cow

why not just save the money instead of spending it now and tying yourself up to a mediocre player.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
The Cow wrote:SF has some nice young pitching which they should keep in tact. If the choice was sign Rowand as a FA or trade away Tim Lincecum for Alex Rios, I sign Aaron Rowand 10 times out of 10. Not because Rowand is better than Rios, but because Rios is not a Tim Lincecum better than Rios. In other words Tim Lincecum and Rowand trumps Rios. This is actually a good move by the Giants. Now the Giants still need some bats, maybe the bat fairy drops one or two off?

The Cow

why not just save the money instead of spending it now and tying yourself up to a mediocre player.

Absolutely saving the money and spending it on a better player at some point makes more sense, but I think the choice was Rowand who they knew they were and overpaying and Lincecum OR no Lincecum and Rios. Looking at it that way signing Rowand makes sense. Dealing away Lincecum would have been a worse move than overpaying Rowand. But I agree the Giants should have maybe spent the money next off-season. Though with the Giants rotation they could surprise.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Kavorka » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:39 pm

Philly boards are saying 5 years for 80 million - 16 per.

That is sheer lunacy !
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers