2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:24 pm

OK, I've got some baseball back in my blood and thought I'd look at 2008.

C - Molina
1B - Pujols
2B - Kennedy
SS - Izturis
3B - Rolen
LF - Duncan
CF - Edmonds
RF - Ankiel

SP - Wainwright
SP - Looper
SP - Pinero
?
?
CL - Izzy

So this doesn't look so good. The 4 and 5 spots in the rotation seem to be up for grabs whether it be Reyes, Wellmeyer %-6 or Franklin. They seem to be hoping on Mulder and Carp being healthy and effective for a half a season. I have no idea why Eckstein wasn't offered arbitration. I thought the problem was years and not $$$ so why not offer arbiration and if he rejects it make a play for Izturis or better yet let Ryan play. It has also been mentioned around town that the team doesn't appear to have a lead-off hitter. If I had to throw a lineup together right now I might think about batting Ankiel 1st.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:36 am

Sooooo, everything west of Pujols in the infield is red flags, and we won't even have half a starting rotation to begin the season? :-[

This was the one off-season the Cardinals could not afford to sit still, and yet everyone else in the division is making deals (Gagne, Tejada, Fukudome, etc.) while we keep quiet. I know the market is inflated and everyone's commanding excessive money, but there are too many question marks to simply sit on our hands and do nothing.

Brendan Ryan will win the starting SS job eventually, unless he has to take over 3rd base because of the ongoing LaRussa/Rolen feud. Izturis was probably wasted money.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:20 am

I'm hoping and praying that the Central is a tougher division this year, because then the Cards will be out of it quickly instead of thinking that they might still have a chance when the trade deadline rolls around. That should finally force them into some sort of rebuilding mode.

Of course, if ownership is hell bent on selling this franchise and nothing more, then who knows how this year plays out.

:-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:07 am

With Edmonds and Taguchi gone, CF probably belongs to Ankiel now, which opens up RF. Is there anyone besides Ludwick who can compete for the starting job in right?
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:45 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Schumaker or Barton get the CF job since they need a leadoff hitter. Ankiel can play CF but I think they prefer to keep him in RF since Rasmus should be at CF soon. I don't think there will be a clear answer until Spring Training.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Return to St. Louis Cardinals