Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:51 am

mak1277 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The injury issue is something that I think a lot of fantasy players get wrong, because they tend to assume that injuries are just random events.

A broken bone stemming from a hit-by-pitch is pretty random...definitely not a repetetive stress injury. That said, I agree that things tend to snowball and last year's injury may have an ongoing impact, but Miggy's been the most durable player in the game over the course of his career, so maybe he deserves a little slack.

Agreed.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Yes, but...

...wrist injuries can be a difficult hurdle for hitters. Come back too soon or rehab improperly or have the treatment not be perfect and you can lose a key component of your power. And, any injury is harder to come back fronm if you are 31 rather than 23.

So, just be cautious in assessing Miggy's value.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Yes, but...

...wrist injuries can be a difficult hurdle for hitters. Come back too soon or rehab improperly or have the treatment not be perfect and you can lose a key component of your power. And, any injury is harder to come back fronm if you are 31 rather than 23.

I'm sorry but post wrist injury Miggy went .284, .355, .467 with 11 dingers in 60 games. I think he is better than what the final numbers show.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dracovonborax » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Adam Everett has come to terms with the Twins...so i'm guessing the Stros had no problem letting him go..he'll play well in Minn.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:26 pm

mak1277 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The injury issue is something that I think a lot of fantasy players get wrong, because they tend to assume that injuries are just random events.

A broken bone stemming from a hit-by-pitch is pretty random...definitely not a repetetive stress injury. That said, I agree that things tend to snowball and last year's injury may have an ongoing impact, but Miggy's been the most durable player in the game over the course of his career, so maybe he deserves a little slack.

I would be a bit worried about all the wear and tear from his streak. Look at Matsui; similiar age, had a long streak going back to his days in Japan, and now he has a bum knee to show for it. I worry about Tejada because he plays a more demanding position and no longer has the benefit of DHing every once in a while and I doubt the Astros will be taking him out of the lineup too often.

I don't think it's a major issue, but is something that needs to at least be considered.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Yoda wrote:

I'm sorry but post wrist injury Miggy went .284, .355, .467 with 11 dingers in 60 games. I think he is better than what the final numbers show.

OPS+ pre-injury was 110
OPS+ post-injury was 112
Both pre and post numbers represent a significant decline from what he did 2004-06, no matter which measure you use.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:44 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:

OPS+ pre-injury was 110
OPS+ post-injury was 112
Both pre and post numbers represent a significant decline from what he did 2004-06, no matter which measure you use.

Never said he isn't declining. Is a guy not allowed to have one off season, especially one in which he was injured for the first time in his 10 year career?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 pm

And, I'm just saying that age, injury, and now the confirmation that Miggy is on the steroid list are good reasons why one should be cuatious about assuming a big rebound.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:39 pm

dracovonborax wrote:Adam Everett has come to terms with the Twins...so i'm guessing the Stros had no problem letting him go..he'll play well in Minn.

So it's fore sure now that Tejada will play SS and not split time at 3rd?
Saying that in mind that the Astros have Ty Wigginton and I don't see a MLB starter on their team other than Matsui who can play SS.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 pm

So Tejada is off the roids and he is 2 years older yet he is hitting like he did in 2004. Real or not?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers