Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Does Tejada get bumped up on your SS lists?
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby accohen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 pm

I think that is the point. Yes, Patton and Albers have potential.....but they don't, by ANY means, project to be difference makers or more than number 3-4 starters (especially now in the AL east). The Astros already have 4 number 4 starters behind Oswalt. Why not go for it?? If Pence, Berkman, Lee, Tejada bat 2-5 (hopefully!), NOBODY in the NL will have a better heart of the lineup. If we were looking at this year only, for the Astros it comes down to this: Before the trade, you had Patton as your 5th starter and Everett as your starting SS. After the trade, you have Chris Sampson as your 5th starter and Tejada as your starting shortstop. There are NO other starting pitching upgrades out there this year over what they already have (i.e. they are not going to get Santana or Burnett) either via trade or free agency. So why not go for broke with their offense this year, and hope to sign one of the many starting pitching studs that will be available next year in the offseason?? Just my opinion....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 566
Joined: 4 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:23 pm

The Cow wrote:Adam Everett a gold glove caliber SS is just left out in the wind here? I know the Astros need offense, I guess they could still deal Everett for something.

Somebody mentioned that the Astros need SP, the Tribe has at least 3 guys available that could be had relatively cheap: Cliff Lee who won 18 games a couple years ago, Jeremy Sowers who struggled last year, but is still a nice potential #3 SP, and Aaron Laffey who pitched well for the Tribe last year. Those 3 and perhaps Adam Miller, who is also available, are going to fight it out for the #5 job. So 3 of these 4 guys, all of which should be on some Major League club will be in the minors.

As for Tejada, he is declining and I think it is because he quit taking roids, but he is still productive for a SS. Worth a shot it does not look like the Astros gave up much to give him.

The Cow

P.S. Are you sure that they are non-tendering Everett? I would think that they could trade him for something.


we get it. you like the indians, but not everything is about them...

my guess is tejada plays alittle SS and alittle 3b.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm

accohen wrote:I think that is the point. Yes, Patton and Albers have potential.....but they don't, by ANY means, project to be difference makers or more than number 3-4 starters (especially now in the AL east). The Astros already have 4 number 4 starters behind Oswalt. Why not go for it?? If Pence, Berkman, Lee, Tejada bat 2-5 (hopefully!), NOBODY in the NL will have a better heart of the lineup. If we were looking at this year only, for the Astros it comes down to this: Before the trade, you had Patton as your 5th starter and Everett as your starting SS. After the trade, you have Chris Sampson as your 5th starter and Tejada as your starting shortstop. There are NO other starting pitching upgrades out there this year over what they already have (i.e. they are not going to get Santana or Burnett) either via trade or free agency. So why not go for broke with their offense this year, and hope to sign one of the many starting pitching studs that will be available next year in the offseason?? Just my opinion....


Interesting way to look at it, and it makes some sense to me. The question is, then, do you see Tejada as the proverbial last piece of the puzzle? I mean, can Houston, even in the somewhat weak NL Central, really make a run? I don't see it, I don't think that pitching staff can get it done in a division with some dangerous lineups (Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati in particular). And if they can't make a serious run, is it worth 26 million over 2 years and a couple young pitchers who could be part of something down the road?

Or, could these prospects have been used for pitching? Maybe this is 26 million dollars and 2 of the organization's better prospects worth of misallocated resources. Tejada's nice but it's the pitching staff that needs work. This leaves them with less financial flexibility and fewer trade pieces to beef up the pitching.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
The Cow wrote:Adam Everett a gold glove caliber SS is just left out in the wind here? I know the Astros need offense, I guess they could still deal Everett for something.

Somebody mentioned that the Astros need SP, the Tribe has at least 3 guys available that could be had relatively cheap: Cliff Lee who won 18 games a couple years ago, Jeremy Sowers who struggled last year, but is still a nice potential #3 SP, and Aaron Laffey who pitched well for the Tribe last year. Those 3 and perhaps Adam Miller, who is also available, are going to fight it out for the #5 job. So 3 of these 4 guys, all of which should be on some Major League club will be in the minors.

As for Tejada, he is declining and I think it is because he quit taking roids, but he is still productive for a SS. Worth a shot it does not look like the Astros gave up much to give him.

The Cow

P.S. Are you sure that they are non-tendering Everett? I would think that they could trade him for something.


we get it. you like the indians, but not everything is about them...

my guess is tejada plays alittle SS and alittle 3b.


LOL, I make a few posts about the Indians, LOL. I forgot this was the official message board of the Yanks and Sox.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Interesting way to look at it, and it makes some sense to me. The question is, then, do you see Tejada as the proverbial last piece of the puzzle? I mean, can Houston, even in the somewhat weak NL Central, really make a run? I don't see it, I don't think that pitching staff can get it done in a division with some dangerous lineups (Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati in particular). And if they can't make a serious run, is it worth 26 million over 2 years and a couple young pitchers who could be part of something down the road?

Or, could these prospects have been used for pitching? Maybe this is 26 million dollars and 2 of the organization's better prospects worth of misallocated resources. Tejada's nice but it's the pitching staff that needs work. This leaves them with less financial flexibility and fewer trade pieces to beef up the pitching.


That's the thing I don't get. Even in the NL Central I don't think anyone watching the Astros said they are just one player away from winning.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby accohen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:20 pm

"And if they can't make a serious run, is it worth 26 million over 2 years and a couple young pitchers who could be part of something down the road? "

That's the question with these types of trades. Patton and Albers are the wild cards. If they develop into frontline starters, then the Astros probably lose this badly....but who knows if this is going to happen?? If the Astros can get lucky with one of their young fireballers (i.e. Paulino/Gutierrez) and then can sign just one of the top of the line free agents that come out next year to pair with Oswalt, they could be alright....for this year and for the future. Tejada being only signed for 2 years is not a nuse, but rather a blessing.....

Ideally, it would have been better to address their pitching needs this season instead of adding Tejada....but it obviously WASN'T going to happen, as no one is trading frontline starting pitching except maybe the Twins....and they weren't getting that....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 566
Joined: 4 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:26 pm

The Astros gutted their farm system for this.
I think they paid way too much.
It was correct to upgrade to Tejada from the ridiculously pathetic Everett (last 3 seasons OPS .654 , .642 , .599) but still too much.

I really like Costanzo. I think he is the goods. If he puts up a .900 OPS at AAA next year Houston should feel very very ill. :-{

I'm not really that amazed by Sarfate or Matt Albers who is a reliever in waiting , but Troy Patton is definately something. He could be a low-whip innings eater to be proud of ;-D. His strike out rate only went into the toilet in 2007 , it's possible he could correct what's wrong and get it back to a reasonable level.

Luke Scott should replicate last year a couple of times and be good value. The only reason he is not as good as Tejada is Scott doesn't play SS.

Big big win for Baltimore. (Whens the last time you heard that?)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:37 pm

AussieDodger wrote:The Astros gutted their farm system for this.
I think they paid way too much.
It was correct to upgrade to Tejada from the ridiculously pathetic Everett (last 3 seasons OPS .654 , .642 , .599) but still too much.

I really like Costanzo. I think he is the goods. If he puts up a .900 OPS at AAA next year Houston should feel very very ill. :-{

I'm not really that amazed by Sarfate or Matt Albers who is a reliever in waiting , but Troy Patton is definately something. He could be a low-whip innings eater to be proud of ;-D. His strike out rate only went into the toilet in 2007 , it's possible he could correct what's wrong and get it back to a reasonable level.

Luke Scott should replicate last year a couple of times and be good value. The only reason he is not as good as Tejada is Scott doesn't play SS.

Big big win for Baltimore. (Whens the last time you heard that?)


Yeah, but Everett is the best defensive SS in baseball. He is worth a lot of runs saved defensively, which is a very good thing when you have a starting pitching staff like Houston. He's the rare defensive asset who is so good that it makes up for offense that poor.

I don't have a problem with Tejada, I think Houston fans will be happy with him, I think he'll produce. I think he's declining a bit but he's only signed for 2 years.

The problem is that Scott, Albers, Patton, and Costanzo were 4 of the very few trading chips Houston had. Patton and Constanzo were the #3 and 6 prospects in Houston's system, respectively (according to Baseball America). Without them, the system might be the worst in baseball. Luke Scott is a productive outfielder who's dirt cheap. Without any of these trading pieces any longer, it's hard to envision them being able to pull much off to improve the pitching staff. They might have to resort to a Lohse/Silva type signing.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 pm

I just found something on mlbtraderumors.com that made me laugh loudly.

Astros Acquire Miguel Tejada

UPDATE, 12-12-07 at 4:41pm: Richard Justice notes that Tejada can demand a trade after the '08 season. That hadn't occurred to me; it diminishes his value to the Astros.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

!

!

Hang on I'm choking :-L

All we need today is another "Minaya is a dunderhead" story and I'll have to have rib replacement surgery. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact