Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Luke Scott, 29 years old, .855 OPS (career .882)
Miguel Tejada, 31 years old, .799 OPS

Now, I would rather have Tejada, don't get me wrong, he has more value because he plays SS and 3B (I would assume 3B in Houston?). But this isn't the Tejada of old. He'll be 32 in May and didn't seem like the same player last year. He's also signed to an awfully big contract. Baltimore's also getting themselves a couple pretty solid pitching prospects, a slugging 3B prospect, and a power bullpen arm in Sarfate.

What I don't understand is what Houston is going to do for pitching. They're giving up on Albers awfully quickly and dealing two of their better (or should I say only) legit prospects in Patton/Costanzo. Their farm system is nearly bare, and I don't think Houston has the core in place to make a real run this year. It's Oswalt and pray for rain in that rotation. Wandy Rodriguez slipped as the year went on, Woody Williams just isn't good, and counting on a healthy Brandon Backe relies on some significant optimism. Patton made his big league debut at only 21 and held his own through a couple starts (12.2 IP, 3.55 ERA). They'll have a nice offensive core with Berkman/Lee/Pence/Tejada, but I don't think their starting pitching can even begin to handle the Brewers, Cubs, and Reds lineups. And knowing Ed Wade, I fully anticipate Kyle Lohse or something like that to be his solution.

Tejada has $26 mil/2 yrs left on his contract which is really not that bad. He's a solid bat and sure he is regressing but he clearly wasn't happy in BAL. I think the change of scenery will help him.

Patton's stock dropped last year and you can't tell me that facing Luke Scott is the same as Miguel Tejada. I think the Stros did a little bit better because I honestly don't think they gave up a lot to get back a potentially potent bat. That could change if Patton surprises everyone and pitches great.

No, Tejada's better than Scott, I have few doubts there. But Scott's no slouch and can at least come reasonably close to Tejada's offensive production, which seems like it might be declining. Then you add 4 young guys, one in Patton who made his way up to Houston at age 21 after quite a bit of minor league success. I guess my main point is, can Houston afford to give up 2 potentially decent starting pitchers for a bat? Their rotation does not impress me in the slightest. If Patton pans out at all, I mean even if he's just a solid 3-4 type starter, that would be most welcome in Houston.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Too much potential in all of these players to give up for 2 years of Tejada who might be on the decline. I think were a worse off team this year, and the next few years because of this trade :(

Luke Scott has been putting up good OPS #'s the last 2 years.
I believe Troy Patton turn out to be Tom Glavine lite.
Matt Albers has potential as a starter, but if you convert him into a relief role I think he is a stud.
Dennis Sarfate has electric stuff, but no control. If you are 26 and you cant find the strike zone, time is really running out.
Mike Costanzo can draw a walk and smash it. Still very raw but I think he can turn into an above average 3B if you let him develop for 1 more year in AA/AAA.

I think it's a great package for the Orioles. I'm pretty pissed as an Astros fan.

Anybody know how much $ Houston picked up over the final 2 years?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 pm

The only thing is, this trade doesn't address the Stros needs in the rotation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby speedy27 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 pm

Yoda wrote:The only thing is, this trade doesn't address the Stros needs in the rotation.

that's the only problem I have with this trade. I like getting Tejada (despite his decline in #'s), especially for what we had to give up. Patton and Scott hurt, but everyone else still have some proving to do.

What it does do is increase the Astros payroll for this season by adding Tejada and they're still going to have to go out and spend $15-20 million to bring in some SP.

Which SP are out there they can sign? They certainly can't trade for any....
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:05 pm

cordscords wrote:Too much potential in all of these players to give up for 2 years of Tejada who might be on the decline. I think were a worse off team this year, and the next few years because of this trade :(

Matt Albers has potential as a starter, but if you convert him into a relief role I think he is a stud.
Dennis Sarfate has electric stuff, but no control. If you are 26 and you cant find the strike zone, time is really running out.
Mike Costanzo can draw a walk and smash it. Still very raw but I think he can turn into an above average 3B if you let him develop for 1 more year in AA/AAA.

I think it's a great package for the Orioles. I'm pretty pissed as an Astros fan.

I don't think it is a great package but I would be upset if I was an Astro fan. This empties the farm system which is widely considered one of the worst in baseball. I just don't understand it. If the Angels made the same deal I'd say good trade cause if gives them that little edge that might be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs/championship no championship while they have the prospects to give. I don't think the same can be said for the Astros.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby eftda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:11 pm

3. LF Carlos Lee
4. 1B Lance Berkman
5. 3B/SS Miguel Tejada

Whats the 3-4-5?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
cordscords wrote:Too much potential in all of these players to give up for 2 years of Tejada who might be on the decline. I think were a worse off team this year, and the next few years because of this trade :(

I don't think it is a great package but I would be upset if I was an Astro fan. This empties the farm system which is widely considered one of the worst in baseball. I just don't understand it. If the Angels made the same deal I'd say good trade cause if gives them that little edge that might be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs/championship no championship while they have the prospects to give. I don't think the same can be said for the Astros.

Yeah but in that division, anyone can win it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dc928 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:23 pm

I think Angels could have top this package with Nick Adenhart and B Wood, or maybe they can exchange Adenhart with Joe Sauders and throw in one of their CF and Jeff Mathis. I don't see how they can't top this.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Whats the 3-4-5?

Pence
Lee
Berkman

We might see a little jump up in HR from last year in the juice box, but we're still talking about a 20-HR hitter. Also I think Tejada's average dips even more in the NL this year. They will get .285, 20-HRs from a guy that doesn't walk much any more, doesn't steal much (compared to most SSs) and doesn't field his position very well any more.

I agree they didn't give up much, but Tejada's name putting butts in seats is probable the biggest plus they got.

Factor in the rumors around Tejada and the 'Stros may have just inherited an expensive Mitchell problem.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Yoda wrote:Yeah but in that division, anyone can win it.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Houston finished 12 games out last year in a very weak division. They may have a chance but it isn't very good.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers