Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/base ... 8258.story
In return for the four-time All-Star, the Orioles will get outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot. Plus with Everett not traded does that mean Tejada will play 3B?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to the Astros

Postby Esen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Yea just heard it on Baseball Channel (MLB)

Baltimore was looking at Tejada for third. Houston will probably follow suit.

I think that it is a good trade for both.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:03 pm

This trade looks good for the Stros. Not a big fan of Scott. Patton is the best player going to BAL but who knows with pitching prospects like him?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dc928 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:11 pm

I thought Tejada will be worth more than this. I don't know why the Angels can't top this offer?
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Meh, I really don't like the trade from either side of the deal.

The Orioles aren't getting anything special there, looks like they chose quantity over quality. Scott is probably the best player they got, but he's already 29 years old, so by the time the Orioles finish rebuilding (if they ever do), he won't be useful. Patton is probably the best prospect they're getting but his inability to K guys is going to keep him from being a elite pitcher, especially in the AL.

The Astros get a declining stud who will even further lock up their payroll when it's clear they aren't ready to compete. Not only that, they just gave away bunch of prospects and this is an organization that is very weak on that department. Without much research, I'm gonna say that with this trade, Houston has the worst farm system right now. Knowing Ed Wade, his probably gonna go out and sign Kyle Lohse or Carlos Silva to a 4-year deal and pretty much cripple this organization.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:24 pm

dc928 wrote:I thought Tejada will be worth more than this. I don't know why the Angels can't top this offer?

Was just going to post the same thing.I thought Anaheim could have offered a better package as well.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Esen wrote:Yea just heard it on Baseball Channel (MLB)

Baltimore was looking at Tejada for third. Houston will probably follow suit.

I think that it is a good trade for both.

Actually, Adam Everett might be non-tendered.
From Rotoworld:
Because of the Astros' acquisition of Miguel Tejada, Adam Everett could be non-tendered prior to Wednesday's deadline.

Everett was rumored to be involved in past Tejada scenarios. Maybe he'll be non-tendered and then join the Orioles as a free agent. If the Astros decide to keep Everett, then they'd have to ask Tejada to play third base, making Ty Wiggington available. Ideally, they could trade either Everett or Wiggington for a rotation candidate, but that might not be possible. They're really hurting for rotation depth after parting with both Troy Patton and Matt Albers. Not only are they adding a $13 million infielder, but they're probably going to have to spend another $10 million-$15 million on starting pitchers now.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Luke Scott, 29 years old, .855 OPS (career .882)
Miguel Tejada, 31 years old, .799 OPS

Now, I would rather have Tejada, don't get me wrong, he has more value because he plays SS and 3B (I would assume 3B in Houston?). But this isn't the Tejada of old. He'll be 32 in May and didn't seem like the same player last year. He's also signed to an awfully big contract. Baltimore's also getting themselves a couple pretty solid pitching prospects, a slugging 3B prospect, and a power bullpen arm in Sarfate.

What I don't understand is what Houston is going to do for pitching. They're giving up on Albers awfully quickly and dealing two of their better (or should I say only) legit prospects in Patton/Costanzo. Their farm system is nearly bare, and I don't think Houston has the core in place to make a real run this year. It's Oswalt and pray for rain in that rotation. Wandy Rodriguez slipped as the year went on, Woody Williams just isn't good, and counting on a healthy Brandon Backe relies on some significant optimism. Patton made his big league debut at only 21 and held his own through a couple starts (12.2 IP, 3.55 ERA). They'll have a nice offensive core with Berkman/Lee/Pence/Tejada, but I don't think their starting pitching can even begin to handle the Brewers, Cubs, and Reds lineups. And knowing Ed Wade, I fully anticipate Kyle Lohse or something like that to be his solution.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Tejada = overrated
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:51 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Luke Scott, 29 years old, .855 OPS (career .882)
Miguel Tejada, 31 years old, .799 OPS

Now, I would rather have Tejada, don't get me wrong, he has more value because he plays SS and 3B (I would assume 3B in Houston?). But this isn't the Tejada of old. He'll be 32 in May and didn't seem like the same player last year. He's also signed to an awfully big contract. Baltimore's also getting themselves a couple pretty solid pitching prospects, a slugging 3B prospect, and a power bullpen arm in Sarfate.

What I don't understand is what Houston is going to do for pitching. They're giving up on Albers awfully quickly and dealing two of their better (or should I say only) legit prospects in Patton/Costanzo. Their farm system is nearly bare, and I don't think Houston has the core in place to make a real run this year. It's Oswalt and pray for rain in that rotation. Wandy Rodriguez slipped as the year went on, Woody Williams just isn't good, and counting on a healthy Brandon Backe relies on some significant optimism. Patton made his big league debut at only 21 and held his own through a couple starts (12.2 IP, 3.55 ERA). They'll have a nice offensive core with Berkman/Lee/Pence/Tejada, but I don't think their starting pitching can even begin to handle the Brewers, Cubs, and Reds lineups. And knowing Ed Wade, I fully anticipate Kyle Lohse or something like that to be his solution.

Tejada has $26 mil/2 yrs left on his contract which is really not that bad. He's a solid bat and sure he is regressing but he clearly wasn't happy in BAL. I think the change of scenery will help him.

Patton's stock dropped last year and you can't tell me that facing Luke Scott is the same as Miguel Tejada. I think the Stros did a little bit better because I honestly don't think they gave up a lot to get back a potentially potent bat. That could change if Patton surprises everyone and pitches great.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers