Fukudome to Cubs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fukudome to Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fukudome to Cubs

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:27 pm

davidmarver wrote:4 years at 12 million a pop for an unproven 30 year old coming off surgery? Pass.

Indeed. Power has also shown it doesn't translate well from the Japanese leagues to here, I'll be extremely surprised if he hits over 20.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:31 pm

mweir145 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:4 years at 12 million a pop for an unproven 30 year old coming off surgery? Pass.

Indeed. Power has also shown it doesn't translate well from the Japanese leagues to here, I'll be extremely surprised if he hits over 20.

Except for Ichiro, who could hit 30 if he wanted to ;-7
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nitrayn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:49 pm

As a die hard Cubs fan, who has never seen this guy take 1 pitch or shag 1 fly...I like this deal

I was pretty high on the redhead after 06, but he was a bit of a dissapointment in 07. I think the signing of Soriano was the beginning of the end for him..he was a average LF and is a below avg RF, especially in Wrigley. All the reports on Fukudome is that he is a really good fielder with a strong arm and has speed. So, with that, theoretically, Pie could shade towards left to help Soriano on some tweeners.

Plus, he bats lefty giving us some balance in the lineup. That way a P cant get comfortable painting a certain part of the plate. If he bats(in 08) in the 280s, with a OBP above 360 has 20HR and 35+2bs, plays a good RF.....then improves from there, its a good deal.

I like this lineup

Soriano LF
Theriot 2B
Lee 1B
Fukudome RF
Ramierez 3B
Soto C
Derosa 2B
Pie CF
Nitrayn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 pm

I am not sure that I would go w/ Fukudome (Fu-Dome? we might as well get it over with...I can hear the fans going "FUUUUUUUUU" already... :-D ) batting cleanup over Aram. I am also not sold on counting on a lot from a dude coming off of elbow surgery after the Cubs record evaluating medical reports on Wood and Prior for the last uh, 10 years. Nor am I sold on the Cubs Asian scouting dept as while 'Big Choi' was fun while he lasted, I don't think that he lasted too long? Maybe they have a separate organization in Japan though, I dunno.

I think it's fun though. I suspect that after you sell 10 million Fukudome jerseys in Japan every year, the money will be a wash. Plus selling Cubs games in Japan, 1/2 of Wrigley field covered w/ Japanese adds...he's paid for himself already. And Derek Lee has ties to Japan as well...should liven things up a bit. I hope he works out.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Why does he hate domes so much?

I anticipate much chanting "F*** U Dome" next season from Cub opponents.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nitrayn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm

well acidrock...Rami has been on the record stating that he prefers the 5 spot in the lineup. And the reason that the Cubs pursued a lefty was to make pitchers(and managers) switch up stratedgies.

So, why not have a guy with a high OBP bat in front of her your best RBI guy? If the Cubs go 3up/3down in he 1st...why not have a high OBP guy with speed leading off the 2nd?

And yeah, Hee Sop Choi was a great scout for the Cubs...ya know why? They TRADED HIM FOR D-LEE!
Nitrayn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm

All I'm saying is that $12.5 million for Emil Brown-like production is quite a price to be paying.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Nitrayn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 am

$12 Mil a year is a gamble, will not argue that point. But he has to be highly touted, to get similar offer from the cheap ass white sox and the small market Padres.

I was a proud owner of Tori Hunter last year, drafter him in like the 13th round of our draft, the other owners in my league didnt like him. He had a great year and I boasted.

I still think he was GROSSLY overpaid...$18 million a year is sick for his services. If he got a more reasonable 5 year deal @ $70 mil...then Andrew Jones probably only gets 2 years and $30 mil instead of $36...Fukudome gets 4 years $35-$40 mil..and Rowand gets $10-$15 mil less from the Giants.

The sick deal the Angels paid out set the bar this winter
Nitrayn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mrkrab2003 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:18 am

Yoda wrote:Meh... I'm so over Japanese imports. They can be solid players and maybe even a star but they get too overhyped.

can you tell me who are some of the Japanese busts you are referring to? thanks!
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers