Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mitchell Investigation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Mitchell Investigation

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:13 pm

MLB created these monsters.

They helped create these monsters.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Lofunzo wrote:While I definitely lay a lot of blame at the feet of MLB, I cannot make them more guilty than the adults that went out of their way to take illegal drugs. They all had their contacts that got them this stuff. None had a legit presciption so they knew what they were doing and that it was wrong.

Agreed. There are numerous situations in life where there are incentives to behave badly (tax deductions, corporate earnings reports, insider trading) that someone can profit immensely. It doesn't make it right to do so.

Ultimately, it is a shared responsibility because Selig was turning a blind eye, or at a minimum not pushing the MLBPA hard enough, while allowing McGwire and Sosa to bring the fans back to the stands after the lock-out. But at the end of the day, if you're an adult, and you made a choice, you live with it. Just like the rest of us.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Matthias wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:While I definitely lay a lot of blame at the feet of MLB, I cannot make them more guilty than the adults that went out of their way to take illegal drugs. They all had their contacts that got them this stuff. None had a legit presciption so they knew what they were doing and that it was wrong.

Agreed. There are numerous situations in life where there are incentives to behave badly (tax deductions, corporate earnings reports, insider trading) that someone can profit immensely. It doesn't make it right to do so.

Ultimately, it is a shared responsibility because Selig was turning a blind eye, or at a minimum not pushing the MLBPA hard enough, while allowing McGwire and Sosa to bring the fans back to the stands after the lock-out. But at the end of the day, if you're an adult, and you made a choice, you live with it. Just like the rest of us.

Agreed.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
MLB created these monsters.

They helped create these monsters.

How about they allowed these monsters to create themselves? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:30 pm

acapulco wrote:Associated Press

Updated: December 18, 2007, 9:53 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Pete Rose thinks players who use steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are "making a mockery" of baseball.

I don't know about the rest of you. But it's comforting to me that Pete Rose and Jose Canseco are looking out for the integrity of the game.

Kind of shows how great a job that Bud and the whole mlb gang have done protecting the sport when these two pimps are the leading faces of the outraged!
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:44 am

moochman wrote:
acapulco wrote:Associated Press

Updated: December 18, 2007, 9:53 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Pete Rose thinks players who use steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are "making a mockery" of baseball.

I don't know about the rest of you. But it's comforting to me that Pete Rose and Jose Canseco are looking out for the integrity of the game.

Kind of shows how great a job that Bud and the whole mlb gang have done protecting the sport when these two pimps are the leading faces of the outraged!

Don't be fooled, neither of those two are outraged by PED use in baseball. They each have come out in public for their own personal gain.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:15 pm

Don't misunderstand me, mweir, I don't think that either of those clowns are capable of being outraged. It strikes me though that these two are representing fan outrage over this travishamockery.
Doesn't anybody think it a little odd that nobody associated with mlb seems to be outraged? Where are there opinions? Even the reporters/announcers have been muted on the widespread usage and effects of HGH and Steroids in particular.
Is it a complete lack of understanding of the effects of designer PEDs?
Or is it a sign of an unspoken censuring?
Or have they been so used to it over the last couple decades that they became numb?
Or is it simply hoping that they can all just say it's bad, we're testing for it properly now, let's forget the whole thing. Move along, nothing to see here?
Why so few questions?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers